Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ice Show - Glow Baby Glow

Let’s add one more set. This one is rather unique. They switched off all the lights on the rink and switched on a bunch of black lights. My camera freaked as there was no way it could focus under those conditions so I turned off auto focus and manually focused the camera. Still it was not enough light so I cranked a couple of settings and here you have the results.



These three pictures (I actually had about 12 pictures but...) show something neat they did. They started with all their hands above their head. Then the first person slowly moved their hands to where they were at the 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock positions and the person behind them started to move their hands. And so on, and do on, and on. I really made a nice affect. With how dark the pictures are I am not sure if you will be able to see this on your computer screen. Perhaps if you click to enlarge the pictures.


They actually did a little bit of a routine too but the bad part was you never really got to see them. All you saw was their glowie bodies. They all exited the ice before the lights were switched back on. I think if I were a parent I might have been disappointed that they could not see Ciera or Sarah or Kira or (insert child’s name here) actually perform. I mean what do you do, there she is, the third glowie thing from the back on the right side. No not that glowie thing... the other glowie thing.


Well I hope you were able to see those. It actually is a fun routine to see in person. It just was difficult at best for the camera to capture it.

Labels:

13 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for all of the photos, Bryan. It has been many years since I went to an ice show.

April 17, 2008 1:41 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

Oh, I think that routine is so kickass!

I don't think I'd mind not being able to see little Johnny, as long as I knew he was really proud of what he had created and that he liked that it was something different.

I think it seems Hella cool and in some ways reminds me of the nifty Oompa-Loompa dances from the original.

I liked it and am glad you were able to capture some shots to share with us.

Cans of tuna ROCK, by the way. I eat one almost every day. Sometimes as part of my meal and sometimes as a high-protein snack. I also like the little tuna pouches and the little salmon pouches too.

April 17, 2008 9:01 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I really liked your photos - this set and the one in your last post. Ice skating is so graceful and you captured it well.

I tried to take some photos of a black light routine like these (only not on ice) a few months ago. They came out a lot like yours. I did take one with flash (which I really didn't want to do, because I thought it would be rude to add that light - but I was the photographer for the event, so oh well...) and it lit everything up so well that you could actually see little Ceira and Kira. But then all of the drama of the black light was gone, so they just looked like kids standing there...

Thanks for sharing the photos. How old is your niece?

April 17, 2008 10:08 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Glad you enjoyed it Nick. I have one more burst of pictures to post sometime in the next few days but I am having to hard of a time limiting how many I post. Right now I am down to 200. Kind of reminds me of going over someones house and they have home movies to share. Three hours later you are either well rested or very bored. I am trying to avoid that.

Hey Strumpie. The ice show was primarily girls and this routine was all girls so that is why I went after all girls names. Can you imagine the hanky panky going on with all the lights out??? Then again their hands are all glowy so busted!

Carol this is so tough of a picture to take. I had my lens at F2.8, my shutter at 1/60 of a second, and manual focus just to pull off what I did. I suspect, other than flash like you needed to resort to, the only thing you could do is get as close as possible using a fixed lens that could go down to, let's say F1.8 or F1.4 and hope the extra light from the wide open lens helps. Of course then the glow would probably be way to bright. It is amazing what the human eye can adjust to. I guess I am fairly pleased I was able to get what I got.

To answer your question, My niece just turn the dreaded 13 so she is now officially a *shudder* teenager.

April 17, 2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger lime said...

very cool that you could get the shots with the black light.

the pictures of your niece are wonderful! i'm sure she'll appreciate having those for a long time.

April 17, 2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Lime. I think I found my calling, black light photography. LOL I wonder if they do black light weddings???

Actually that is not my niece just some decent skater. I probably will post a picture or two in the next post.

April 17, 2008 1:23 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Great job getting the pictures. FYI, I see what your describing very clearly. Very cool idea for a routine.

April 17, 2008 2:57 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

WOW both sets of pictures are fantastic! great job Bryan!

April 17, 2008 2:59 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Love this!!

April 18, 2008 6:29 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

Ha!

Black-light Hanky-Panky.

If I ever DO get married, I would so do that as my theme.

Now I'll know who to call to capture it all.

Thanks for makin' me smile this morning.

Have an awesome weekend.

I think I'm buying some tuna today, cos I'm out.

I think I'm actually stocking up on tons of canned goods today, like broth and veggies to make a soup.

It's gorgeous out though, so who knows if I'll actually travel to the grocery store.

Hopefully!

Food in my fridge would be nice...

April 18, 2008 10:38 AM  
Blogger SIMPLY ME said...

wow, these pic's are so cool. I would love to see a show like that. thanks for sharing.

hope all is well with you. I'm ok, just enjoying whats left of the weekend.

take care.

April 20, 2008 7:38 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

You know, some of the best pictures come from the photo mishaps. I bet if you tried to get that effect, it wouldn't have worked. Great job Bryan.

;o)

April 21, 2008 1:16 PM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

awesome photos...on both posts!!

April 21, 2008 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home