Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, March 28, 2008

55Flash Fiction Friday

What a strange job you have.

You took the Hippocratic Oath, first do no harm

You care for, maintain,
and treat the human body

Mend broken bones

You do your best
to keep them all well

All this so they can be put to death

Being a doctor on death row
is the ultimate oxymoron


I do not know where this came from but it just popped into my mind. It just seems more than a little strange. I mean you can not just let the prisoners rot. That was be inhumane. But somehow it just does not make sense. Then again I am not sure that putting someone to death makes sense. I mean sometimes you would really like to for such hanous crimes that they have done. But it is like what I heard said this week I believe, the eye for an eye mentality will lead to us all being blind... or something to that affect.

Well it started to hit home. We were more than likely going to have to work overtime yesterday (which actually in the end was avoided). The boss came in and asked about covering everything. Usually overtime means one of us has to work overtime, the other is free to go. We have always in the past worked it out so that neither of us were overworked by doing this. If we needed to work into the night usually the person that went home would come back and relieve the other person. We had it down to a science.

Well yesterday the boss came back and started down the usual I need someone to be here for coverage and I chimed in we had not talked but it would be my counter part that would be working and he said no, he was not paying any more to him when he left. You see, we are allowed to carry X number of hours over from year to year. Also, we are guaranteed being payed for those same X number of hours (if we have hours banked) should we leave or even be fired. The boss is being stung bad by this one. This person has so many hours banked that he will be taking a big hit on his budget this year.

Now my soon not to be counter part at work is maxed out on the number of hours he can bank. I thought the boss was wrong about having to pay him more if he worked more hours but he is the boss. But at the same time I started to think, it really is not right to work the overtime when he will not be compensated for that time. I mean I at least will get comp time which means no extra pay but an hour off for each hour worked over (yes it should be 1 1/2 hours but oh well). So it is hitting home, strike two and it is only just over 24 hours since he announced he is leaving. I have a feeling I am in for a fun ride.


It is getting close.

You may ask what is getting close???

If we get about four and a half more inches of snow this season (we just got about 2 more inches overnight) we will have received enough snow in one season to bury me in snow. Now I am no shrimp. I am over 6 foot tall so these days I am more or less average but, at least for this area of the planet, that is one heck of a lot of snow. Now I know our upper peninsula regularly gets over 10 feet (maybe 20) of snow in a season and I am sure Wisconsin and Minnesota and Colorado and New York, Vermont, and well others get a lot of snow but here it is just so unusual to get so much snow.


I may go to a going away party tonight. What is strange about it is this is for the person that is leaving whose job my counter part is filling. It is just a small world after all. We will see. By the end of the day I would imagine I will be tired. I contacted a person I indirectly work with to see if she would like to car pool to this thingy. If she wants to go than I guess I will force myself. :)


Oh dear, I think I am in the falling in love stage of my life. Susie has posted a couple of different peoples music videos in the past month and I have enjoyed those. I have seen that a few other places too in the past month. Now HERE is the strange part.

I have never been a fan of Country Music. Growing up it was just way yo twangy for my tastes. Of course over the years music has changed. What passes as music these days, I will be honest I am not thrilled with a lot of it. Some is pretty good and other stuff is not to bad and could grow on me but still. Of course country music has been a changing as has everything else. I have noticed that, where in the past I could only listen to about 5 minutes of country music without going insane, now I can listen to a lot more. And then IT happened.

Last night I watched the final episode of Celebrity Apprentice. Now I have not been watching Apprentice as first it is a reality show and I just really try not to do those. I also am not a fan of how commercial the entire Apprentice show is, more than I think it needs to be. Anyway it came down to the loathsome Piers Morgan against the rather likable Trace Adkins.

OK, lets add a little something about me here. I may be temporarily won over by the glitz, the glamor, the celebrity, the beauty, and you can go on and on. But eventually I see through it all. See if I would give Brittney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, or Paris Hilton the time of day. I mean when they prove they have changed that I can forgive and forget but normally until then the person all but does not exist to me. Anyway lets rejoin my blog post already in progress...

I could not help but think Trace Adkins is the real deal. I could not help but like his personality, how he handled himself, and what he just seemed to be all about. So I did a little searching on the Internet and found some of his songs. I also listened to his latest hit single that he performed on the Apprentice last night. I think I could really like his music. As a matter of fact I would be willing to bet I will own some MP3s of his before the weekend is out.

ARG, what is happening to me? Stop me before I make a fool out of myself... oh, to late.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and I will see if I can do the same. Oh and Go Michigan State in the NCAA March Madness...

Labels:

18 Comments:
Blogger James Goodman said...

That is a great 55. Definately food for thought. Sorry to hear about the changes in your work place. I hope the rough edges get worked out soon.

March 28, 2008 9:05 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I had a moment to pop in so...

Thank you James. It kind of makes one think. You know, life is change. As long as it does not throw to much at me I am sure I will find a way to make it through but thanks. I am sure there are several things I will need to get figured out but that will happen in time I am sure.

March 28, 2008 10:26 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

That's a great 55 and so true!

We're going to a party tonight too but a 70th birthday celebration. Hope you enjoy the going away party.

My 55 is up.

March 28, 2008 11:31 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

An oxymoron 55, how cool!

Bryan, I think this is my favourite-est post of yours that I have ever read.

It was so cool how it flowed from your mind.

So, who is it, exactly, that you are falling in love with?

March 28, 2008 12:49 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Akelamalu, HAVE FUN AT THE 70TH. Opps, caps lock was on. I will be around when I can. My Mom may be headed back into the hospital.

His Strumpie. It did kind of just go places... Who am I falling in love with... nothing like you are thinking. It would be the singer Trace Adkins and in particular his music. Although he seems to be a real cool person from what I could tell. To me he seems like he would even be approachable.

March 28, 2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` Aaaa haaa haaa haaaa!
` ...Though now this reminds me how I feel even worse for concentration camp doctors....

March 28, 2008 4:47 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Excellent 55!! Very thought provoking.

I hope you have a great weekend listening to country music.

March 28, 2008 7:36 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Barman...
I'm glad you jot down these little brainstorms, they make for a great post eh?
Thanks for playing, and have a great week-end!!
G

March 28, 2008 7:48 PM  
Blogger barman said...

The is a good point SeeQuine. But I think at least some of those doctors liked that. Not good.

Sign I have not bought me any country ... YET. I am sure it will happen before the weekend is done. I think you and G might need to do an intervention on me.

G, without them things might be mighty boring. You have a suppa weekend too.

March 28, 2008 8:05 PM  
Blogger S said...

OK You, I dont know what the rules are in your state, but I would make sure that you are not being taken advantage of by this boss.

I would refuse to work if he didnt pay time and a half at least, perhaps double.

If you keep on doing what you've been doing
You'll keep on getting what you've been getting.

Ch ch ch changes are good!

March 29, 2008 11:57 AM  
Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` Of course. But the ones who didn't tended to have serious neuroses!

March 29, 2008 4:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have never understood why we as a nation kill people to prove that killing people is wrong.

March 30, 2008 3:49 PM  
Blogger smarmoofus said...

A very good point! And yet, you're right... it would be inhumane to not treat them. Interesting...

Meanwhile, I'm back to posting again (hopefully!). I have settled in at my home-away-from-home, and am well into my "job" as a nanny, and loving it! I hope everybody's been well.

-smarmoofus

March 30, 2008 8:40 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Suzie, I am salaried so I am afraid a lot of things go out the window. At least I get the comp time. My boss, for instance, does not get comp time.

You know Seequine, I never thought of that. I always just thought of those people that they went after as war criminals afterwards. That would be awful.

Rebicmel, I guess you kind of detach yourself and just do what you would normally do. I know I had a job to do once that I did not believe in but what are you suppose to do. We were validating signatures on a petition or should I say invalidating? I just did what I was suppose to do until that job was over. I ended up saying to myself that if these people had not followed the rules (and there are a lot of rules about petition signatures) then they deserved to have their signature invalidated.

Nick I used to look at it is why should we be paying a lot of money to incarcerate these people for the rest of their life? As time passed I have come to the conclusion that why is it any more right for us to kill someone than it was for them to kill someone. So I agree with you 1000%.

Welcome back smarmoofus. I shall have to some visit. Glad you are loving your "job".

March 31, 2008 6:47 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

That is definitely a 55 to think about...yeesh! I guess there are nut cases in every field of the work force.

I hear you on the country and too much "twang". I think because of the era we grew up in George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty, etc., etc., etc....Some of the stuff now days isn't too bad. Either that or I must be getting older. OH NO!!! Did I just say that???

Happy Monday to ya Bryan ;o)

March 31, 2008 9:54 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Jillie, nut cases makes life interesting... maybe not fun but interesting.

Yep, we are definetly from the "twang" generation. I think tastse change over time but ... you will never be old to no. never ever.

March 31, 2008 11:28 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

I think I tend to dig on the twangy country western now that I am older.

Prior to being older I never liked any country western at ALL.

But, I can get into some Hank Williams, (all of 'em actually,) Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, and there are so many more that I want to explore and learn more about from older country.

It's the new country pop stuff that drives me batty.

I'm a Metal Girl at heart with quite a range for other shit.

Cos my fave bands aren't metal at all. (Like the Beatles!)

They're just not what I listen to on a daily basis.

Well, Zepp encompasses so many genres, I listen to them every day almost and they're my fave.

Actually, I have too many favourites.

It's such a relative term.

Anyhow, twang is good.

I like the twang.

Twang me, baby, one more time.

March 31, 2008 9:56 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Strumpet I'll TWANG you baby!!!

Hey variety is a good thing. I got into Celtic folk in 95, a few of the ones that Suzie was so good to share, now it looks like Country, even some of the tenny bop music. I still can not do rap but I did buy an Outkast double CD, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. So I am full of surprises.

So you are a Metal Girl. I thought you were a dirty girl. :)

March 31, 2008 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home