Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Obsolete

You know I struggled with the Title for this post. I don’t think obsolete is actually it either but I decided it was time to move on.

Over the weekend one of the things I did was replace a burnt out spotlight for my parents. I figured no big deal, I needed to go to the home improvement store anyway to buy some nails and screws. Was I mistaken.

Back when I was a teenager, or maybe younger, I had this thing for lighting. I owned probably at least 4 spotlights. I was building a light bar (I have always been impressed by the technical nature of theater). Back then you had few choices. You could get a 150 watt spotlight or a 150 watt floodlight. You could also get red and green versions of these same lights. Well to be fair there was also the 75 watt version of the spotlight. I had me two of those to light the mirror ball I owned but that is a totally different story.

When I walked down the lighting isle, one entire side of an isle was spotlights. Try as I might I was not finding what I wanted, just a plain 150 watt spotlight. First most of the spotlights were 65 watt to 90 watt. They also had indoor only spotlights or floodlights that I guess were more for those recessed lights you see in homes these days. Ok, those were eliminated easily. But now I had natural daylight and halogen and soft white and ... I just wanted a simple spotlight. My head was hurting at this point.

So I started to look at the lumen values (how bright the light really is) and how long the lights were suppose to last. I also would not mind something that was bright but used less electricity although they really do not use those lights a lot.

In the end I ended up buying a two pack of 90 watt halogen lights. The one thing about these particular lights they were suppose to last 4 years (6,000 hours) so at least they should not have to worry about changing lights any time soon.

I can’t wait for what is coming. Now they have those compact fluorescent lights which are suppose to use a lot less electricity, be rather cool and last a long time. I have several of them and I can tell you two of them are just what I needed as bulbs were always burning out there. Of course these also have mercury inside them that is a problem if they are broken or sent to a landfill. But what I am excited about are the LED lights that are coming. They are much to expensive now but they are getting there. You see them in Christmas lights now. They claim that they can last a long time. As a matter of fact I was paying attention to something that was going on with the State Christmas Tree this past year. A company offered to sell the State LED Christmas lights for the tree at the same price as regular lights. The benefit is they use a lot less power and they should last for about 50 years (so they claimed). The lights that were normally used were thrown away at the end of the season since they were basically at end of life by the time they had been on continuously for most of 2 months (almost 1,500 hours). The LED lights I just looked at were good for 100,000 hours. I have seen LED trouble lights. I look forward to the bulbs that replace the current bulbs we use becoming more affordable. You are looking at over $35 now for even a small bulb. But I really think these are the way of the future unless they come out with something even better.

You know it is not just lights that I am a little dated. It is things like bands. I have no clue who most of the groups are out there these days. Here is less than one percent of the names I found out there and I left off the really bad ones:

Spanking Bishops, Spank the Monkey, Spastic Colon, Squeeze 'Em Hard & Make 'Em Fart, Stiff Dead Cat, Stiff Woodies, Tate & Her Mosquito Bites, The Dead That Arent Alive, Three Jerks and a Squirt, Touch Me Again and I'll Break Your Arms, Toxic Shock and the Tampons, Uncle Bob Touched Me, The Virgin Connie Swail, Operation Cliff Claven, Naked David Hasselhoff, Mini-Skirt Fetish, Life In The Fridge Exists, Sensitive New Age Cowpersons, Shitty Shitty Band Band.

And then we have cars.

My first computer job I had back 30 years ago (yes they had computer way back then) was working for a market research group. We did research on a lot different things including research on what people thought of their new vehicles they purchased recently. Back then I knew every car and truck that the American companies made and most of the foreign ones that were in sold in the United States. See I used to have to break down a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and tell not only what year a vehicle was but also what type of vehicle it was and what some of the major options were that this vehicle was built with. It was amazing how many different variations there where and then along comes October and I had all new VIN numbers to add to my pool of prior VIN number.

These days I have no clue what there is out there. At work I have a car park next to me that is a 300. A 300 what? Oh, 300 is the type of car. There are those wacky Scion Xb vehicles that remind me of the bamboo car that they had on Gilligan’s Island that they peddled around the island from when I was growing up. Not to far off of that you have the Honda Element. I rode in a Toyota Prius hybrid last year and fell in love with it. There is almost nothing I recognize these days. I guess that is because I just have not been in the market for cars much lately. I bought something a couple of years ago but I knew exactly what I wanted so I only looked at that and I specifically looked for a used one with low millage.

Well I guess times are just passing me by.
6 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

the band names are pretty funny.

the honda element looks like a toaster on wheels if you ask me. i'd love a prius though.

March 26, 2008 8:14 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime, I know the band names all seem made up but I did find it on a list on the Internet. Of course we all know we can trust the Internet. ;)

I agree about the Element. I started figuring how much I could save if I had a Prius and although I would love to have one, I just do not know.

March 26, 2008 10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I was in the grad school for social work, I read a study that indicated that obsolesced products are the norm in a technology-drive society. About 25 years ago I attempted to replace the burned-out florescent bulbs in the outdoor sign of the church I was pastoring. Unfortunately, I learned that the type bulbs I needed were no longer being manufactured and the only way to get lighting for the sign would be to have the entire system replaced.

On another subject: Thanks, Bryan, for the research you did regarding Alex’s favorite cat food. While I was out yesterday I found the pat store and, yes, they had it. Alex is now back in kitty cat heaven: he ate three packets of it yesterday and has already downed another this morning.

March 26, 2008 10:59 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Nick it almost seems like when you buy something and you think you will have it for a while, you need to buy two so you have spare parts. Of course that would not have worked in that case. We run into similar situations at work as you did only with parts to repair computers, copier, printers, etc. No much you can do I suppose.

I am so glad to hear about Alex and the food. Thanks so much for the update.

March 26, 2008 12:17 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

Life was so much simpler when less WAS more!!!

Did you guys get hit with the snow as well? Man...I just can't believe this winter you guys are having...ugh!

March 26, 2008 12:43 PM  
Blogger ohc said...

Well Bryan,
I have had the light bulb dilemma. I opted for the curly fluorescent ones. So far, so good.
The halogen ones hurt my eyes. ( .) ^ (. )

As far as cars, you know I had to get one. Well, all I can say about that is, you just have to look for the nest rebates, warranty, and whatever else you want. Which means you can’t get the car you want. Well, not unless you begin your deal with salesmen who remind me the life in the fridge exists and they promise you a naked David Hasselhoff, a Stiff Dead Cat, and Stiff Woodies to get you to buy the car. Then you realize you wanted heated seats and did not get them, well, Squeeze 'Em Hard & Make 'Em Fart, that’s how you can warm your seats without paying for the fancy car seat heaters. Yeah. Now I have a spastic colon just thinking about buying cars. Not only that, they gave me free tickets to see a shitty shitty band band. I was glad to leave the three jerks and a squirt as I drove off warming my seat.

I want the simple life back.
Thanks for the post! ;^)

March 27, 2008 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home