Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Daylight Savings Time?

I don’t know about you but I am not liking this Daylight Savings Time (DST). It has been a while since I really did think it was OK but not any more. Stop fooling with my time. It takes me forever to recover from the “simple” change.

This time seems to be even worse. The alarm goes off at 6:00 am. I used to get up then and just kinda putz around before going into work. Not any more. The last two days it has been so dark when the alarm goes off. It does not seem to get light out until I have to go into work and I just can not get my butt moving until it gets light out. Of course it did not help that it was over cast the last few days. As a result it does not even seem like the days are any longer. No sir, I am not liking this DST.

Funny thing, the Congress, in it’s infinite wisdom decided to make this change to when DST starts and ends in order to save energy. Of course in exchange for me using less lighting and thus less electricity, I instead find I am more ready to jump in the car go do something. With how little electricity I use they are losing out big time on me in how much energy I use. I guess that is what a lot of people are doing.

Now there is an upside to this mess. They pushed back when DST ends at the same time the moved forward when it starts. It now ends the first Sunday in November. What that does is always make Halloween be while we are still on DST. At least here that means that Sunset is at about 6:30 PM which means it should be a little warmer for anyone tricker treating and they might be just a little bit more visible too. Of course how many people still have their kids go out door to door for Halloween anymore?

What is your take and Daylight Savings Time?
13 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate it.

The older i've gotten the more difficult its become to adjust my sleep pattern... my inner body clock rules me... pain in the ass I wish they would just get rid of the concept!

March 11, 2008 10:10 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

I was surprised at how many people were complaining about having to reset their cell phones!
Mine set automatically but many peoples didn't!
Not even the expensive blackberrys!

March 11, 2008 10:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I am so with you Chrissie.

No kidding Little Wing. I though the cell phone was set but the towers. I am surprised anyone had to set their time. I suppose I should check my cell phone and see what it says.

March 11, 2008 11:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You’re so right, Bryan! I think DLST is absurd. Of course, I spent 11 years living in an Indiana county that didn’t observe it and being confused about what time it was east and west of me.

March 12, 2008 2:02 AM  
Blogger lime said...

DST is kicking my butt. none of us can seem to get out of bed this week.

March 12, 2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Nick, I know what you are talking about. I used to go to the Indy 500 and was always trying to remember is that DST or not. Truns out it was. I also used to try and take that into account when driving through Indianapolis when I was heading Louisville. One does not want to go through Indianapolis during rush hour if one does not have to. It always drove me nuts and I did not live there. I was happy a year or two ago when I found out the pretty much all Indiana is no on DST like everyone else.

Lime I so hear you. I think I might actually be getting better today, yea. Hard to believe something that simple can cause so many so much grief.

March 12, 2008 10:00 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

I hate it I hate it I hate it! The first day I was so tired I had to take two naps. And last night for some reason I woke up at 1am. But I couldnt fall back to sleep. I was awake until 6! What a time to go back to sleep when it was time to get up! To say Im tired is putting it mildly. By the time I get used to it we will go back to old time. UGH

March 12, 2008 12:17 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Gab you would not think something so simple would bother us so much but it sure does. On the way into work today I got to see another thing I never thought of. I got to drive right into the sun again. I already did that this year and move on but DST moved it back to where the sun is in my eyes again. Yikes. Can't wait for a couple of weeks to pass by.

March 12, 2008 1:04 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I like that it is light later at night, but hate the dark in the morning. Soon that will change too.

Strangely, I've been able to get up this week with no problems, but haven't been able to sleep at night. I guess our circadian rhythms are all screwed up.

March 13, 2008 7:38 AM  
Blogger barman said...

This morning, for a change, I am doing much better then the rest of the week despite it being overcast. Go figure. I guess I am adjusting. Yes I think we are gaining at least 2 minutes of sun a day for now so it will change before you know it. Now what is this rhythm you speak of? Is it time to shake your grove thing? :)

March 13, 2008 8:00 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

I think the rest of me has so much rhythm, that my inner Circadian has lost its groove along the way--making me a perpetual insomniac.

One good thing about being an insomniac, is that it really doesn't matter if it's light or dark outside, or what time the clock says....DST affects you none.

I barely noticed the change at all, except that I had to remember to change my two clocks and the clock on my microwave. My cels and my comp adjusted themselves.

I usually wake-up when it is dark outside still regardless of the DST, or not. I tend to wake-up about an hour before my alarm goes off at 7:13am, (and my clock is ten minutes fast, don't ask me why I do this,) But that's just because I wake-up at about every other hour or so all night long. Sometimes I fall back asleep, sometimes I don't. Depends on the restlessness of my mind.

So, DST is cool with me. Affects me none. I have much larger problems to try and figure out.

Rock on, Daylight Savings Time.

xo, Bryan.

=P

I do hope that YOU have been adjusting better lately, though!

I think it's gonna be nice today. Maybe that will help. The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day, wahoo!

March 13, 2008 8:55 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

I've never minded the change. I'm in the same time zone as you, but being so much farther eat, it's light at that time of day here.

I'm also glad they moved the clocks back later in the fall. It really does make a difference for the trick or treaters. FYI, I still get kids coming around on Halloween, but not nearly as many as I did years ago. They also stop coming around after dark mostly.

March 13, 2008 3:02 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

I am a morning person as long as there IS daylight. My body tells me when it's dark outside, it's time to sleep...ugh!

I wish we would do like a few select states do and just get rid of it all together.

It really seems to be kicking my butt more this time around than ever. Or maybe I'm just getting older....naaahh!

;o)

March 13, 2008 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home