Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Mom is Safe and Sound at Home Again

Well that was a fun few days. But first how about some junk that you probably don't want to hear. I will change the color when I get back to my update about my Mom.

While I was down spending come quality time with my Mom and Dad I saw another cute (nice voice too) doctor. Well I think she was an Intern or something. I think I need to hang out at the hospital more often... just without my Mom being in the hospital. And if that was not enough they were joking around with one of the nurses about all the eligible men in the room and she kidded about being single, getting paid well, and owner her own house... hummm. :)

Last night this nifty little storm blew though Michigan. It all but missed my neck of the woods. From what I hear Sign got a little snow but hardly worth mentioning. But the Detroit are ... OMG! My parents house got about 6 to 8 inches of snow. I can not win. I get no snow at home and still have to shovel. An hour and a half later we had the snow all tamed. I even tossed down some salt in the area that never gets sun to get rid of the snow/ice on the drive there. I really would rather not see either of my parents take a tumble. Now for the exciting part. When we were done the snow plow came through and buried the drive but good. Why is this exciting? Why because I was able to dig out the foot of the drive before we headed into the hospital. I really wanted to make sure they were all taken care of from the nasty snow storm.

OK, the Mom update. She is home and doing OK. Her main problem was they changed her blood pressure medicine. They took her off the Channel Calcium Blocker (I think) and out her on something else. Well her body pitched a fit. He heart was beating very rapid. She could feel making it even worse. This impacted her breathing which, with so little use of her lungs, that is pretty bad. Then she also had a pain that I believe they are blaming on her gallbladder. The discovered that it was not working very well. They want to operate but she says no and so does one of the doctors that stopped by (he also happens to be the surgeon my Dad had before so he was familiar with my Mom) and said he would not operate. Being knocked out could be a very serious thing for her lungs.

Anyway after many tests including peering in at her heart and various other things, breathing exercises, oxygen, tests, tests, and more tests, an adjustment in her medicines, plenty of poking, prodding, and probing, doctors, nurses, and nurses aids, three room mates. The first one graduated with my brother making her 31. She had real bad diabetes (260), a gallbladder that needed to come out, out she was real sick and could not keep anything down. The took her down to the ICU to run a Insulin drip to get the diabetes under control before operating on the gallbladder. Don't remember much about roommate 2. Roomate three was always sleeping and would not eat. I think they decided she had just given up on life. They brought in a cute male doctor and she was very smart. He got her to eat. Don't tell me you are not going to eat MY COOKING and some more that got her to eat. How awesome is that.

Anyway all tests came back good. My Mom was breathing well and her oxygen was always good. I never hear a reading below 95... whoo hoo! The pain she had was much better. The heart beat was much better (somewhere in the 80s) so they finally said she could go home. And I believed them. We got a call at home from my Sister saying they were releasing her so we headed back to the hospital. My Mom was all dressed and all dressed and ready to go so I moved the car around. A half hour later they came down. Turns out no one was available with wheelchair. Heck if I knew that I had several chairs available at the main entrance. I would have wheeled up stairs and... oh well.

Thanks once again everyone. Hopefully my Mom will not be making a return trip any time soon. Not only because I worry about my Mom but also since my Dad really should not be left alone. I caught him taking medicine today that was suppose to be taken tomorrow so he doubled up. Luckily it was something for diabetes and some vitamins so he was OK but not good. Time to see if they have some fancy dancy medicine dispenser we can get for him. He still wants to do it himself but I don't think that is a good idea.

So... time to go visit everyones HNT. I hope everyones week has been going great.
10 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

good gracious, you r mom has been through the ringer. hope she recovers well and makes no repeat trips any time soon.

March 05, 2008 11:32 PM  
Blogger S said...

I am glad your mom is doing better.
You can always visit the pretty nurse on your own!

;)

March 06, 2008 12:02 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

That is such good news, you and your mum and everyone in your family are in my thoughts.

March 06, 2008 7:11 AM  
Blogger S said...

Hey Bryan,
My mac was a grape one like that one Os is holding in his hands.
You know, once my mac died, and I got a PC, I learned so much so fast because I had a couple of online html writer type friends that taught me everything I needed to know.
I think the biggest problem "back then" (remember we're only talking like 6 years) was finding another mac user to assist you!

March 06, 2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger snowelf said...

Bryan, you are such a dear. I'm so glad things are better with your mom--it sounds like you all have had a rollercoaster of a few days.

Nothing a hot doctor can't fix though huh? ;)

--snow

March 06, 2008 1:22 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

Glad to hear all is well. I hve the same problem with the rapid heart beat and every now and then when I fell it starting to beat faster I know its time to go adjust my meds. Another thing this causes is my headaches...so I really need to keep a close watch. Im not sure where my dad got his but he has this dispencer that does just that days meds. Someone has to set it up but once its set you cant take any unless it dispencse them, So like if you take one in the morning at 8am then 3 at noon thats how they come out and a bell rings to let you know its time to take meds. It dont stop ringing till you shut it off. This is one way we know dad is getting his meds and he can stillstay by himself. I can ask my sister if she can remember where we got it for him if youd like. (text me)

March 06, 2008 1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bryan, I’m sure the past few days have been stressful for all of you. I’m glad your mom is stable and back home. I find it somewhat frightening how the variation of one med can throw our entire systems out of balance.

March 06, 2008 9:58 PM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

G'day Bryan,

Thank you for the visit and the great comment. I hope your mother is better . Give her a kiss from a faraway Aussie.

In answer to your question on the hot-air balloon shots - no, I don't use a filter.

(Whispers) I don't Photoshop my images, I don't crop 'em, I don't digitally enhance 'em in any way. Our skies here are generally electric blue at this time of year - which is what takes a lot of people by surprise.

The teleconverter sounds like a good idea - but maybe see if you can test one for a couple of hours before you hand over any money.

Let me know - any time. Always glad to help.

March 06, 2008 10:45 PM  
Blogger Seema B Menon said...

O No! She went through so much! So glad she's fine now!

March 07, 2008 12:27 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime thank you. It has been a rough couple of months. But at the same time it serves a purpose to at least get me getting prepared for my what happens with my Dad. Hopefully things will be better for him with some little changes.

Susie, I think the pretty nurse and doctor are a little out of my league. I am happy my Mom is doing much better this time. Hopefully winter will end soon and she can have a much needed break.

Thank you Queenie. That means a lot to me.

Susie I hear you. The Mac is a great machine but ... it still is a small minority of the market. I can see how that could be limiting. A grape? I guess I need to go visit Oz to see what you speak of.

Snowelf, you said it. At least the whole time I was not in fear for her life. The last trip to the hospital was even worse for me. I hope there are no new trips any time soon. It can be much for for my Mom and Dad at all.

Shoot Gab, I meant to text you but went to bed early. I will do that today. Thanks.

Nick I know, that is scary. I am taking one medication that, if I take it late, it can give me the cold sweats. I hate that medicine. I need to get off it. I sure hope they have her all stabilized now.

Thank you David. And thanks about your picture taking. I am not surprised you do not photoshop things. From what I have seen you take wonderful pictures. You have rekindled me love for photography once again. Thank you.

Thank you Seemu. She seems to be doing much better. I almost wish she was not a little bit. I caught her out at my Sisters yesterday. I wish she would stay home for a few days. Oh well, I am sure they know best. Thanks again.

March 07, 2008 5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home