Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Christmas Came Early This Year


Last week I received a book shipment from the Doubleday book club. Now there are several things wrong with this. First I did not order any books. Second I am not even a member of the book club. Third the person it was sent to does not even seem to exist. At least he does not exist at my house. I know, I have lived here for 9 years and I would know if there was an Anthony living here.

I decided to write them and see what happened figuring I would probably end up doing a return to sender on the box and send it back. It took several days but I just heard from them. They said keep the books and they would cancel out the account and I should ignore any bills should one be sent to me.

So now I am proud owner of 6 new books.



The first shiny new book is Honor Thyself by Danielle Steel. List $27.00.


A world-renowned actress falls victim to a terrifying explosion in Paris—and begins a courageous journey of survival, memory, and self-discovery in Danielle Steel’s mesmerizing new novel. I am not sure this is going to be my cup of tea but we will see.



Next up we have Strangers in Death by Nora Roberts. List $25.95.


Technology may be different in 2060 New York, yet the city is still a place of many cultures and great divides. But as ever, some murders receive more attention than others-especially those in which the victim is a prominent businessman, found in his Park Avenue apartment, tied to the bed-and strangled-with cords of black velvet.

It doesn't surprise Lieutenant Eve Dallas that Thomas Anders's scandalous death is a source of titillation and speculation to the public-and of humiliation to his family. But while people in the city are talking about it, those close to Anders aren't so anxious to do the same. With some help from her billionaire husband, Roarke, Eve's soon knocking on doors-or barging through them-to find answers.


But the facts don't add up. Physical evidence suggests that the victim didn't struggle. The security breach in the apartment indicates that the killer was someone known to the family, but everyone's alibi checks out. Was this a crime of passion in a kinky game gone wrong-or a meticulously planned execution?

It's up to Dallas to solve a case in which strangers may be connected in unexpected, and deadly, ways.
Oh gotta love a good mystery.



Yet another new hard back book (which they all are hardback by the way) is Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. List $14.00.


The highly anticipated follow-up to the 2,000,000 copy bestselling inspirational book, The Power of Now

With his bestselling spiritual guide
The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle inspired millions of readers to discover the freedom and joy of a life lived "in the now." In A New Earth, Tolle expands on these powerful ideas to show how transcending our ego-based state of consciousness is not only essential to personal happiness, but also the key to ending conflict and suffering throughout the world. Tolle describes how our attachment to the ego creates the dysfunction that leads to anger, jealousy, and unhappiness, and shows readers how to awaken to a new state of consciousness and follow the path to a truly fulfilling existence.

The Power of Now was a question-and-answer handbook. A New Earth has been written as a traditional narrative, offering anecdotes and philosophies in a way that is accessible to all. Illuminating, enlightening, and uplifting, A New Earth is a profoundly spiritual manifesto for a better way of life—and for building a better world. Could it be I will learn something, I think so.



And how about this one, Duma Key by Stephen King. List $28.00.


Suffice it to say that Duma Key, the story of Edgar Freemantle and his recovery from the terrible nightmare-inducing accident that stole his arm and ended his marriage, is Stephen King's most brilliant novel to date (outside of the Dark Tower novels, in which case each is arguably his best work). I have seen Stephen King movies but never read a novel. I bet this will be outstanding.



And how about The APPEAL by John Grisham. List $27.95.


The Appeal is a powerful, timely, and shocking story of political and legal intrigue, a story that will leave readers unable to think about our electoral process or judicial system in quite the same way ever again. Oh man, I know I am going to love this one. :)



7th Heaven (Woman's Murder Club) by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. List $27.99.


A terrible fire in a wealthy suburban home leaves a married couple dead--and Detective Lindsay Boxer and her partner Rich Conklin searching for clues. And after California's golden boy, Michael Campion has been missing for a month, there finally seems to be a lead in his case--a very devastating lead. As fire after fire consume couples in wealthy, comfortable homes, Lindsay and the Murder Club must race to find the arsonists responsible and get to the bottom of Michael Campion's disappearance. But suddenly the fires are raging too close to home. Frightened for her life and torn between two men, Lindsay must find a way to solve the most daunting dilemmas she's ever faced--at work and at home. Sounds Interesting for sure.



You know this is kind of sad. I really do not read books all that much other then technical books or maybe some science fiction books. I can think of probably half a dozen people I know through blogging that deserve this $150 book bonanza so much more than I do. Oh well, I guess it is time to get reading.

It was a dark and stormy night...

Oh man, I am so excited. I did some checking and I found quit a few audio books by Michael Crichton. He just happens to be one of my favorite authors. So why is this exciting to me? Well you see I will be heading to Kentucky for the Kentucky Derby Festival end of April. The trip is at least a 6 hour trip. With the books on CD I can listen to the books on my way down. It is amazing how fast the time goes when I am listening to a book like that. I did that once with The Da Vinci Code. I really loved it. I only had to turn it off a couple of times when the traffic got a little heavy and I wanted to pay more attention to the road than I was. WhooHooo, I can't wait.
8 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

what a crazy thing to have happen.

the danielle steel book should be good for levelling out a wobbly table or something. enjoy the rest! ;)

March 20, 2008 12:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are what I call “john readin’ books.” They ought to keep you well occupied as you sit on Mr. Crapper’s invention.

March 20, 2008 12:36 AM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

I am so jealous! I love Patterson and Grisham, and I had to pay for both of those books! Steven King is a good read, but can be a bit too freaky for me... definitely a "gotta be in the mood" thing in my case. Hope you enjoy your books!!

March 20, 2008 8:33 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Lucky!!

I heard that the King book is his best in many years. I love James Patterson too!

March 20, 2008 10:59 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

My guess is some kids was playing a prank and gave the company your address.

March 20, 2008 12:47 PM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I love Patterson and Grisholm and I intend buying the Eckhart Tolle book - lucky you getting all three for free! :)

March 21, 2008 9:31 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

I am so jealous of your free Stephen King book.

I haven't read Duma Key yet.

But, I have read almost everything he's ever written, Bryan, and he is one of my faves.

Enjoy!

I am also jealous that you had reason to print this phrase in your post today.

...tied to the bed-and strangled-with cords of black velvet.

And, yes, they still do the South Side Irish Parade in Chi.

We even dye the fucking river green and shit.

It's a way big deal.

People were dressed up all weekend long before I left.

I'm sure Monday was just as nuts.

Hope you had fun too!

I did!!

March 21, 2008 11:10 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

OK I would love to read the J.D. Robb book my daughter does gets hers when shecan I and will read it ocen she is done. Also I love Stephin King! Now Im thinking do I have money to go buy these books? No not today but I will lol.
OBTW
Daughter belonged to that club and they mixed up her orders all the time and she had books she didnt order and never got some but they wanted to bill her for them all reguardless

March 22, 2008 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home