Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, March 17, 2008

Top O' The Mornin' To You

Happy St Pattrick's Day. Leave it to the United States. This really is celebrating the Irish Saint Patrick. I believe the way I heard it was he did not want people to morn his passing but istead he wanted them to celebrate with a sip or two. From what I gather St Patrick's Day is hardly anything over in Ireland, actually for that matter it is hardley anything other than the United States.

In the United States there are some parades, dyeing of the water green (I think they still do that in Chi town) corned beef and cabbage, Irish stew, bagpipers, and of course lots of beer and other fine beverages. This is possibly the third or fourth most drunken holiday there is behind New Years Eve, Supper Bowl Sunday and possibly the day before Thanksgiving (who knew this was a major part day???).

I did my thing on Saturday and went to the small town nearby. I went to a local watering spot and got some beer and no, it was not dyed green. Me and green beer, no thanks. It turns out that bar puts die in for anyone that wants it. Then I decided to partake in the Irish Stew event. Six groups each made at least 10 gallons of Irish Stew. Then anyone that wanted some could come up and get some stew to sample and, in the end, vote for thier favorite stew by dropping money in a canaster.

I sampled 5 of the 6 stews. My favorite was this one made out of beef. It only had beef, carrots, and potatoes. There was no liquid at all to it but the spices were superb. So although I liked it the most and I gace them the most money, the second place one was much more an Irish Stew. It was made with lamb and let me tell you it was pretty good. So I made sure to put money in their canaster as well. In the end I had a beer (with my meds I am I should not even have had that) and my fill of Irish Stew whish I really wanted to find somewhere anyhow. I think this will certainly be a regular part of my St Pats celebration.

I then went back to my car and donned a little more green before going to stake out a spot to see the parade from. Now mind you in a town of only about 6,000 people it really is not hard getting a spot to see the parade. Well that and this is only the 5th annual (my 3rd one however) and it has not completly caught on yet. Luckily the spot I picked had sun at my back and helped keep me a little warmer. It was 4oF out but wind did not help.

The parade was probably about 30 minutes long or so and not bad. They had the firetrucks, police, horses, bagpipes, queens, floats, candy for the kids, beer, marching bands, politicians, clowns, ... basically a nice little parade.

Today I am in the process of making corned beef and cabbage and in a day or two I will give Irish Stew a try however it will be will beef instead of lamb. The only place I found lamb they wanted to sell me 2 1/2 pounds of lamb. I only needed 1 lb and boy is lamb expensive. So this time, call me cheap, but my first attempt at Irish Stew will be with beef. Other than that I have my green on. I will try and pop in a few pictures of the parade and of me in my green.

Everyone have a safe and fun St Pattrick's Day.
5 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

Hope your corned beef and cabbage were good yesterday! I didn't partake in anything Irish even though I'm 1/4 Irish. Go figure.

March 18, 2008 7:35 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

I have not made Mr Gab his corned beef and cabbage since we moved back here. Im sure he's not happy about t but since hes the only one who really likes it its better that way. Funny thing Im Irish hes not lol.

March 18, 2008 9:14 AM  
Blogger S said...

Top O the Morning to you, laddie!
(One day late that is)

I am so pleased that you like Joan Wasser. She has done a lot of work with Rufus, are you at all surprised?
Joan As Police Woman has a new album coming out with Rufus doing some backing vocals. I will let you know when it comes out.

March 18, 2008 8:22 PM  
Blogger S said...

Top O the Morning to you, laddie!
(One day late that is)

I am so pleased that you like Joan Wasser. She has done a lot of work with Rufus, are you at all surprised?
Joan As Police Woman has a new album coming out with Rufus doing some backing vocals. I will let you know when it comes out.

March 18, 2008 8:22 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Susie!!! Jeeeeez, what a Rufus groupie..
Barman, lamb is very expensive, but is well worth it..
It doesn't really matter anyway, I love corned beef!!
Have a great day.....G

March 19, 2008 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home