Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Congratulations and Oh Shit

Today was both a good and bad day for me. Today my partner in crime at work turned in his 2 weeks notice. He gave the organization a chance to counter offer but they would have had to give him at least a $10k raise, maybe more. What does that mean.

There will only be one of us that knows the business that we both do since he is leaving. There might be a plus but there is certainly a minus. I think my Derby week, something I have been doing for 20 years now, is either canned or at the very least I will only be able to go Thursday evening through Monday evening. I will miss so much by doing this. I could go down two weekends in a row but excuse me, I think it costs me between $90 and $110 for a round trip at today’s gas prices. Not to mention a round trip is 12 hours of driving.

Trying to get in any vacation will be tough except during the summer and odd hours here and there.

One last thing to share. Tonight one of my fave shows came on. Have you ever seen Good Eats with Alton Brown on the Food Channel? Enclosed is two parts of the episode I saw. He really is good as he passes on a lot of interesting things. Sometimes they are silly, sometimes it is real useful information. In the end you get details on putting some food project together and you get entertained. Of course it could just be my inner geek in me that likes it.

There are things I do not know that I will need to come up to speed on. I can guarantee I can not come up to speed that quick (two weeks).

Getting someone from outside the organization (or even inside) that knows what we need to know will be hard to come by at best. That means, should we hire someone, they will be green. Well that and since they will not want to pay them much they will be real green.

But at the same time I am happy for him. It is about time someone start paying him what he is worth. Personally I think they should consider paying him more than what they will be paying him but still, not bad.

Well I guess I will just need to learn to enjoy my time away from work more quickly and start taking vacation soon. I have a lot of vacation time to plan for Mondays and Fridays between now and the end of the year.

I hope this does not last long as if it does it is going to get real old.

OK, it ate it again. Here is something I watched tonight. A show called Good Eats by Alton Brown on the Food Channel. He is a most interesting person. He is always either entertaining you with something goofy or something real good to know. In the end you have a food project to do and you probably learned something. Of course it might be just me and my inner geek but I really like it. So here are parts one and two of the show I saw tonight on waffles.



14 Comments:
Blogger GAB said...

Well congrats and dang! I know sometimes people need to go where where they get paid more for their knowledge yet it can hurt those left behind.

March 26, 2008 7:47 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

I wouldn't let this stop you from going on vacation. From my experience, nothing will change if you don't go and they won't appreciate you anymore or any less. Bryan, I know this from experience, so don't let the job rule your life. Make it clear to them that they MUST replace and train a replacement NOW! It's not your problem he quit, it's their's. They know it, but will try to make you feel bad for them. What about you?

March 26, 2008 8:54 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I am glad for him. If he does not retire until he is 60, I think he is getting 230K more by then. I could not blame him at all. It will certainly be sad to see him go.

March 26, 2008 8:55 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thanks Tony. I am afraid Derby will be out this year but you are right. They should have someone trained by the next time. I know they will not appreciate things.

March 26, 2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

OH NO!!! You CAN'T miss derby week! I went to KY Derby once, well actually the Thousand Oaks Day (or whatever it is called) my brother and sister-in-law live in Louisville and they go the day before the derby like all of the "locals" do. But, what I am REALLY thinking is YOU deserve a raise if they're going to take away your trip. Oh I will cry crocodile tears for you!

;o)

March 26, 2008 11:26 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Jillie that is the way to go. The Derby is so much more expensive and even more people are there. The Kentucky Oaks is the peoples Derby and it is every bit as much fun as the actual Derby. By the way, I like your name for the day much more anyway. It can be a fun time for sure but somehow, I bet you made it even more fun.

I very much doubt a raise is forth coming. They did not even talk to me or to anyone once he turned in his notice. I think that does not bode well. Tears are not needed. If I end up missing this I will be visiting for a week sometime during the summer for sure. I would miss the Derby but I would miss not visiting with my friends more.

March 26, 2008 11:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, “Oh, shit.” I’ve been there Bryan! When I began supervising social services in Bullitt County south of Louisville, it was the fastest growing (population) county in the U.S. There were two social services teams then. Shortly after I arrived, the supervisor of the other team resigned and, because of my experience and knowledge (shit) they combined the teams under my supervision. That means supervising twice the number of staff with no increase in compensation. Is it any wonder that after three years of that I resigned and entered seminary?

Good luck, my friend!

March 27, 2008 12:09 AM  
Blogger S said...

OK thats the second person to leave your work place lately. Could it be your onion breath?

JUST KIDDING!
:P

March 27, 2008 2:18 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Nick. This is going to force me to learn things I never did learn. It will make me a more valuable developer. So who knows what the ultimate affect will be. I just hope they hire another person because I can not take all the pressure of support alone.

Oh Suzie, now I am going to have to go use my mouthwash again.

gargle, gargle, gargle
huuuuu huuuuu
ah, better.

Actually latter this year or early next year we will lose one to retirement and a year from then we probably lose another to retirement.

March 27, 2008 6:41 AM  
Blogger lime said...

maybe you should get out while the gettin's good!


as for alton....i LOVE alton! and i love waffles!

March 27, 2008 12:06 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I think things are good at the moment. I will be paying attention however as should we lose anyone else in the small group I work in, it would be terrible.

I ran across Alton probably a year or two ago and I think he is fantastic. I now know some of the most useless information. I love it. By the way, I am now thinking about getting a waffle maker as I have never had one. It looks like Khols may be getting my business.

March 27, 2008 12:42 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Knowledge is power!!
Now you run the show, demand a raise!!
Have a great week-end...G

March 28, 2008 7:09 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Oh, man, that is too bad, Bryan. I hope they don't overwork you more than they already have.

March 28, 2008 7:39 AM  
Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` Watching the waffle thing. Nice!

March 28, 2008 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home