Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Just Dashing Through

Over the last few days I have been working on starting a diet. Actually once I get this sucker started it will be much more like a life change. We will see how things go.

I have Yahoo as my home page and last week and article came up. Now I really do not have a lot of respect for the articles that Yahoo has. If they actually are an article they usually do not have a lot of information to them. Anyway this article came up about lowering your blood pressure and it talked about the Dash diet. I know I had an uncle try this before too. Now my blood pressure is under control but I am taking medication for it and, well I would like to get off of one of those meds someday if possible so I decided to make a go of it.



I am fumbling my way through things now. I think I really under ate yesterday. I will try and do better today and see if I can get the knack of this thing. I did not get as much exercise yesterday as I needed to either but hope to do better today. It is funny, this thing seems to just focus on the pyramid (which I thought at least some studies had either modified or said we need to do something else) yet it seems so hard. I guess part of that is I am not used to eating so many fruits and vegetables. For that matter I am not used to tracking so many things. In the end, however, it has to be more healthy. If I can only get the hang of things.
9 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

i am familiar with the DASH diet too. try starting with substitutions. change over your breads and pastas to whole grains. also switch your snacks to fruits or veggies. good luck!

April 22, 2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I just checked out the diet. It looks like a good, balanced plan.

I could use more fruit and veggies in my diet. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck with the life change!

April 22, 2008 5:20 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Lime. It is going to going to take me a while to just adjust to this short term. Then the fun part comes in, making a permanent change.

Carol I will miss my meat. Only having a couple of portions of protein is going to be the hardest for me. I did better today then I did yesterday and I hope to do better tomorrow. I do like the fact that it is sensible rather than something like Atkins. Personally I think South Beach is a much better Atkins any day. Still if I can pull this off I think it is best for me.

April 22, 2008 11:30 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

What is the Dash Diet? Where can I learn about it? Hi Bryan!

April 22, 2008 11:37 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

good luck w your diet! i'm doing my own dieting/exercise thing, too. having thyroid disease makes it a bit harder, but i'm determined. you can see my progress at http://life-w-hashi.blogspot.com

i'll be your support group :)

April 23, 2008 3:10 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Gab I sent you something. Basically it is paying attention to the food pyramid which is hard because most people (including me) do not get their right number of fruits, vegetables, or fiber and really overload on sweets, meats, etc. The Mrs Dash thing was just for fun. It has nothing to do with the diet.

Thank you Ciara. I am struggling with it at the moment but I think it is because I am also struggling with an addiction. I am spending way to much time on Flickr and am not getting my exercise in. Balance. I shall be right over to see how you are doing. Oh and thank you.

April 23, 2008 6:41 AM  
Blogger G-Man said...

It's a struggle!!!
But you can do it!!!
As a Diabetic, i take this stuff called Byetta.
It's just for diabetics, and it kinda has some side effects, one of them is that it really kills your appetite...
Take care...G

April 23, 2008 7:39 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

I used to LOVE Mrs. Dash. I used to put it on everything. I especially loved it in mashed potatoes.

I think I have to go and buy me some again.

I forgot about that stuff!

Good luck with the diet thing.

You sound pretty determined and I know you will do well.

April 24, 2008 9:04 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Loosing weight really isn't rocket science. Eat a well balanced diet, control your portion sizes and exercise. Nothing to it, right? Ya right! LOL

April 24, 2008 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home