Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, October 06, 2008

Songs From 1975

I stole this from Lime who stole it from Suldog. They both seemed to think their year was rather dark. Well I happened to like my year but what I found out when I went back, I liked more songs after 1975 and before 1975 than songs that actually were from 1975. Oh and I found out I suck at this list as I do not want to say I disliked any of them. OK, here we go.

The rules:
A) Go to Music Outfitters.
B) In the search function, enter the year you graduated from high school. Get the list of the 100 most popular songs of that year.
C) Bold the songs you like, strike through the ones you hate, and underline or italicize your favorite.
D) Do nothing to those you don’t remember or don’t care about.


Lime followed the lead of Suldog and decided to break the songs down into lists. I thought it sounded like a splendid idea.

Songs I love: These are the songs I really like. When I hear them I crack up the radio and sing to most of them if I am alone or lip sync if I am not. It is not out of the question to car dance either.

1. Love Will Keep Us Together, The Captain and Tennille (hey it is fun)
2. Rhinestone Cowboy, Glen Campbell
6. Shining Star, Earth, Wind and Fire (my new favorite group)
7. Fame, David Bowie
9. One Of These Nights, Eagles
10. Thank God I'm A Country Boy, John Denver
13. Lovin' You, Minnie Riperton (Yes, embarrassing as it is I love this song)
15. Black Water, Doobie Brothers
16. Ballroom Blitz, Sweet
20. Pick Up The Pieces, Average White Band
21. The Hustle, Van McCoy and The Soul City Symphony
22. Lady Marmalade, Labelle
31. Magic, Pilot
34. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Elton John
36. Have You Never Been Mellow, Olivia Newton-John (A crush no drought)
38. Cat's In The Cradle, Harry Chapin
41. Listen To What The Man Said, Paul Mccartney and Wings (Love Wings)
50. You're No Good, Linda Ronstadt (OK, her too)
60. Lady, Styx
64. Get Down Tonight, K.C. and The Sunshine Band
65. You Are So Beautiful/It's A Sin When You Love Somebody, Joe Cocker
68. How Sweet It Is, James Taylor
74. Some Kind Of Wonderful, Grand Funk
78. Killer Queen, Queen (Queen rocks)
81. Can't Get It Out Of My Head, Electric Light Orchestra (Gotta love ELO)
83. Lonely People, America (I like other songs that they do better but...)
89. Bungle In The Jungle, Jethro Tull (I love Tull)
91. Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Elton John (for the most part, Elton John too)
98. You Aint Seen Nothin' Yet/Free Wheelin', Bachman-Turner Overdrive


Songs I Like: Now these I like, just not to the extent I like the songs above. I probably don’t know all the words either but I still like them. Being someone that never wants to cause trouble I threw most of the songs into this category.

3. Philadelphia Freedom, Elton John
4. Before The Next Teardrop Falls, Freddy Fender
5. My Eyes Adored You, Frankie Valli
8. Laughter In The Rain, Neil Sedaka
11. Jive Talkin', Bee Gees (for not liking disco... I loved Bee Gees)
12. Best Of My Love, Eagles
14. Kung Fu Fighting, Carl Douglas
17. (Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song, B.J. Thomas
23. Why Can't We Be Friends?, War
24. Love Wont Let Me Wait, Major Harris
25. Boogie On Reggae Woman, Stevie Wonder
28. Angie Baby, Helen Reddy
29. Jackie Blue, Ozark Mountain Daredevils
30. Fire, Ohio Players
32. Please Mr. Postman, Carpenters
33. Sister Golden Hair, America
35. Mandy, Barry Manilow
37. Could It Be Magic, Barry Manilow
39. Wildfire, Michael Murphy
42. I'm Not In Love, 10cc
43. I Can Help, Billy Swan
44. Fallin' In Love, Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds
46. Chevy Van, Sammy Johns
47. When Will I Be Loved, Linda Ronstadt
49. Please Mr Please, Olivia Newton-John
52. Walking In Rhythm, Blackbyrds
53. The Way We Were/Try To Remember, Gladys Knight and The Pips
54. Midnight Blue, Melissa Manchester
56. Poetry Man, Phoebe Snow
57. How Long, Ace
59. That's The Way Of The World, Earth, Wind and Fire
61. Bad Time, Grand Funk
62. Only Women Bleed, Alice Cooper
67. Feel Like Makin' Love, Bad Company
69. Dance With Me, Orleans
71. Never Can Say Goodbye, Gloria Gaynor
75. When Will I See You Again, Three Degrees
82. Sha-La-La (Makes Me Happy), Al Green
85. The Rockford Files, Mike Pos
87. No No Song/Snookeroo, Ringo Starr
88. Junior's Farm/Sally G, Paul McCartney and Wings
90. Long Tall Glasses (I Can Dance), Leo Sayer
94. Only Yesterday, Carpenters
96. Only You, Ringo Starr


Songs I do not Like: Now these are just a few songs that I really did not like. Not hate but just was not thrilled with them.

26. Wasted Days And Wasted Nights, Freddy Fender
66. One Man Woman-One Woman Man, Paul Anka and Odia Coates
80. Do It (Til You're Satisfied), B.T. Express


These songs are from 1975???: And finally these are the songs that I have no idea what they are or just do not care about them. I was surprised how many fell into this category.

18. He Don't Love You (Like I Love You), Tony Orlando and Dawn
19. At Seventeen, Janis Ian
27. Fight The Power, Pt. 1, Isley Brothers
40. I'm Not Lisa, Jessi Colter
45. Feelings, Morris Albert
48. You're The First, The Last, My Everthing, Barry White
51. Dynomite, Bazuka
55. Don't Call Us, Sugarloaf
58. Express, B.T. Express
63. Doctor's Orders, Carol Douglas
70. Cut The Cake, Average White Band
72. I Don't Like To Sleep Alone, Paul Anka
73. Morning Side Of The Mountain, Donny and Marie Osmond
76. Get Down, Get Down (Get On The Floor), Joe Simon
77. I'm Sorry/Calypso, John Denver
79. Shoeshine Boy, Eddie Kendricks
84. You Got The Love, Rufus
86. It Only Takes A Minute, Tavares
92. Misty, Ray Stevens
93. Bad Blood, Neil Sedaka
95. I'm On Fire, Dwight Twilley Band
97. Third Rate Romance, Amazing Rhythm Aces
99. Swearin' To God, Frankie Valli
100. Get Dancin', Disco Tex and The Sex-O-lettes


Why don't you give it a try and share how the songs from the year you graduated worked out for you. I had fun doing this but it took me a while as I looked up most of the songs with Amazon.

Labels:

8 Comments:
Blogger KJ said...

What a cool meme.

I may have to work on this.

October 07, 2008 6:21 AM  
Blogger barman said...

KJ, this would be a perfect one for you with how much you love your music.

October 07, 2008 7:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's an excellent list, Bryan. I can identify with your feelings about most of the songs.

October 07, 2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger lime said...

holy cow, i don't think i realized paul anka was still cranking out the um...er....hits in 1975. my mother loved him....me, i'll pass.

thanks for playing along.

October 07, 2008 3:09 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

That looks entertaining. I may have to think about doing that.

October 07, 2008 9:08 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hey Barman

There is a song from 1975/76 that played on top 40 AM radio for a very short while. The only thing I remember is the line" In California the streets are paved of gold". Are you the guy after all these years that could find that song for me?

Just thought I'd ask.
sully.baby@hotmail.com

November 14, 2008 2:05 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Hey Kelly, I hope you come back to see this since you do not seem to have a blog I can answer you on.

I did not know the song but here is what I found. I hope it is what you were looking for. The link takes you to the lyrics and some information about an album the sond is on.

Good luck...

http://www.soundclick.com/lyrics/getLyrics.cfm?T_ID=T%2014027758&A_ID=R%20%201340563

November 14, 2008 9:47 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Oh and Kelly, I do not know if you are new to blogging or just starting over again but either way ... welcome on board! Have fun wandering around. There are a lot of interesting people out there to find.

November 14, 2008 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home