Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, December 12, 2008

55Flash Fiction Friday

Planning what to do,
Preparing the list.

To the store shopping.
Filling the cart.
Paying for the fixings

Measuring, stirring,
mixing, cleaning.
Folding, blending,
chopping, beating,
sprinkling, placing..

Baking, cooking,
refrigerating.

Preparing for the road trip
Hot stays hot,
cold stays cold
nothing spills.

Sure is a lot of work
for an Office Christmas Party.


The above is a flash fiction 55. If you would like to try one of these just put together a little story that contains (about) 55 words. Include some sort of story line and a character and away you go. Once you have posted jump on over to Gman’s blog and let him know (and the others) so they can come and visit.



Today we have an office Christmas party. I am always the fool. One person always brings in pop for his contribution but not me. I usually do two or three items. Most of the time they are in a crock pot to keep warm adding to the fun. Still I want to make sure I do my share.

On the menu today as far as I am concerned is antipasto salad and creamy chicken enchilada’s. While the salad does not sound bad, it actually takes me some time. I top the salad with a layer of coto salami and then a layer of ham lunch meat. This is cut up into small squares, probably about an inch square and then each square is placed on top of the salad one at a time. I have discovered that if I partially freeze the lunch meat before working with it I can separate the squares a little easier. Of course my hands get cold but it is worth the trade off. Still this step alone takes going on about 46 minutes all by itself. Of course it makes a much better presentation doing this.

Tonight should be fun. I have the ingredients and it is now time to make Limes “Don’t Fear the Curry” recipe. I am looking forward to this as the curry powder I purchased actually smells wonderful to me. When did I start liking curry anyway?

Oh and tonight Frosty the Snowman is on. Yes, I still watch those silly little holiday shows.

It should be an interesting day today. No partying but that is just fine with me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Less than two weeks to Christmas...

Labels:

11 Comments:
Blogger Pam said...

great 55...you do more cooking for an office party then i ever did in my lifetime! lol jk. your part of the office party menu sounds real tasty. i have no 55 this wk (again), so i just shared an old poem i wrote.

our christmas is 8 days away...celebrating early before my girls head to their dad's on the 22nd.

December 12, 2008 3:26 AM  
Blogger barman said...

We will celebrate Christmas on Christmas eve so we are doing it sooner too. I will come visit and see you poem. I am most impressed how creative everyone is.

December 12, 2008 5:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't believe that I have ever expended any energy prepping for an office party.

December 12, 2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger Liquid said...

Geeeeze, I can just imagine what it's like at your HOME on Christmas!!

Yum!

Great 55!

December 12, 2008 7:31 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I wish you worked in my office!

Love your 55!

December 12, 2008 1:56 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Ah Nick, you have not lived. I shall have to invite you next time. We can make Alex a mascot.

Liquid, I am disorganized, that is why it is so much of an effort. I do like to make different things. How about Blueberry Stuff. Lots of butter but super yummy.

Akelamalu we take our food serious in our office. If you need a care package...

December 12, 2008 2:31 PM  
Blogger Donnetta said...

I'm doing all those things this week. Having a Christmas party at my house--old friends who used to work out of the same office. Will enjoy the friends, but hat the work! Oh, some of it isn't so bad...and I'm enjoying all the silly little holiday shows, too. Neat 55! D

December 12, 2008 9:59 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Donnetta. Everything went wrong with the enchiladas but I managed to pull it off OK anyway. The Crisco had turned (I substituted butter), the corn shells broke but no one will see that, I put to little Chicken mixture in each shell so I had left overs, I thought I had not included the chillies but that was a later step, then I could not find what I did with the chillies, did find them just before going back out to the store, almost forgot the cheese, did not carry the containers level when walking into work so it "slid". Yep not my best day but it did turn out just the same.

December 12, 2008 11:26 PM  
Blogger g-man said...

I'm sure everything went perfect at the party Bryan. All your offerings sounds very yummy. Your 55 was excellent as well.
BTW...Guess what I got in the mail today?
I'll share with everyone on Sunday!
Thank You ever so much for the thought...G
(I LOVED IT)

December 13, 2008 12:51 AM  
Blogger barman said...

G-man, I am not the cook you are but it turned out anyway. Wow, that showed up in a day. I am impressed. That was actually from last year and I almost did not send it after your post. I would not be upset if you did not keep it as it seems like a duplicate to me anyway.

December 13, 2008 6:44 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Hope you had a good weekend!!

December 15, 2008 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home