Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I am Going to be an Uncle

I just found out over the weekend that my brother and his wife are expecting their first child. They are not due until October 1. Right now they do not know the sex but when the time comes they will not only be finding out the sex but they will be sharing too. I guess no yellow clothing for them.

One of the things I was struck by is how much things are going to change for them. I mean you start out life single where it is all about me. Then when you get married you now have a spouse and now it is about us. But once you have a child as far as I can tell it is all about the child. Before you may not have cared to much about if what happens if something happens to you. Now you have a child that completely depends on you. You need to plan for their future. You want to do good by them. You worry if you are being a good parent as no child comes with an owners manual. You would like to see your child do even better than you.

Well my brother and his wife have been about me for a while. It will be interesting to see how much things change for them. I feel sorry for the poor puppy. Well Dragon is no puppy but still it will be a major change for him. He is a big dog and could easily hurt the child. He is going to go through a major change as he got all the attention. That will all change when the noisy bundle of joy arrives home next fall.

So time to pick a name. Someone I work with keeps pushing for Jebediah. Somehow I can not see that name flying. It seems to me however that no matter how much you think you know what you may name your child it seems like it is often a last minute thing. It was for me at least. My Mom shared her room with Glenna Bryan. That is where my name came from. For me I have had a thing for the name Dawn and more recently Jennifer for a girl. Funny, I have not thought to much about names for boys but I suppose Bruce would be in there and possibly Jacob.

Other than that excitement we did three birthdays over the weekend. I was helping out (at least I think I was helping) my brother in law put together a slide show of my nieces basketball season. He does such a great job with these slide shows. One of my contributions was possibly the final slide of the show. We took a score board and modified it. Of course the home team won but what we did was make the score 20 to 09 or 2009. Probably no one will get it but I will know that it is there.

I missed my niece playing basketball this past weekend but then she did not play much. They are down to their last few games in the regular season and the coaches are playing the first string and once in a great while they toss in the second string when the first string is all but dead. That means my niece will not see much playing time at all but they will probably win like they did on Saturday. What do I know but I think the coaches should have build a strong second string too so they did not have to kill the first string. But of course the three coaches each have a child in the first string so...

Over the weekend I also got some visiting in with a friend and spent some time over my parents. It seems like they both are doing better. My Mom is far from well but she is doing better. Hopefully she can get over this and get past the next couple of months. She does much better when the weather breaks.

Well that was my extended weekend. Hopefully everyone had a great weekend.
4 Comments:
Blogger G-Man said...

Lots of activity in the Barman Family I see. You would have made a great Dad.
Start thinking about a 55....G

February 19, 2009 7:17 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Yaaay! The stork is going to visit! :D

It is always great fun having a new born in the family. My husband's niece goes for her ceaser section tomorrow!

February 19, 2009 8:19 AM  
Blogger Femin Susan said...

Congratulations.......

Your blog is really interesting... Good Luck...keep writing.
Blessings to you and your family…….

February 19, 2009 9:15 PM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Still pushing for Jebediah? You should make a new nameplate for his door with that as his first name.

Re storks visiting - a few years ago, some began sitting outside our apartment window and sure enough a short while later, the woman upstairs delivered a baby. What a relief. The storks nest near my home and I bought a dog to make sure they don't land in my garden. Five is enough.

February 20, 2009 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home