Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Saturday, December 17, 2005

To Blog or Not To Blog

Isn't blogging the best? I have visited a lot of other peoples blogs, some on a regular basis. May of these people are people I probably would not associate with in real life. It is just we are so very different and we all have our own lives. It is hard enough to get everything done as it is.

Here we have this giant living journal. Not only can we write down anything that comes to mind but there are people out there that actually can and do respond back to you. Try that in a diary! It is also interesting that some things that we chose to share in the blog with people that are practically strangers, we might think twice about sharing it with friends or family. The anonymity thing can come in handy.

Sure I know you by your handle and possibly generally where you live and also how you look but we still are practically stranger, some more than others (me). I am sure friendships can and do blossom out of getting to know someone on a blog but I think that is more of the exception.

For now I am just enjoying the variaty of people I am getting to meet. Funny I do this for entertainment I guess and yet I think it is making me into a more rounded individual. This is especially true of the more we find people from other States and even other countries. I think I miss that the most. 10 years ago I was online a lot in another form called Usenet news. I loved the fact that I regularly communicated with people from Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Germany, Canada, UK and I am sure much more. Sometimes communicating can be fun. Take the word "boot". I can think of at least three very different meanings depending on which country you are from. We are all so different and we all have so much we can learn from each other if we just give it a chance. Blogging is just such a super medium to do that in. It also gives us a chance to air what we are thinking and sometimes that, all by itself, is so rewarding. I think that returns me to...

Isn't blogging just the best? I know, step away from the keyboard...


[Spicoli has had a pizza delivered to class]
Mr. Hand: Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?
Jeff Spicoli: Learning about Cuba, and having some food.
-- Fast Times at Ridgemont High
3 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...

Great point! Blogging is fun, not only to put out a 'diary'--which to me, sounds awful. Diary sounds much like something a teenager would do. When someone suggested to me that I should blog, I thought, "diary"??? I was turned off by it. Then I realized that most adults blog more than teenagers.

Blogging for me, is a way to brush up on my writer (since I'm a writer) and also to vent and share my love for God. It's a way of communicating with others of similar interest-or totally different from you all together.

To a huge extent, everyone is really anonymous, unless they put their 'true location' down. So it depends. I live close to another state- and sometimes my ip address will jump over to a different state's location. Weird, huh? So, it's interesting.

Communicating with other people from different countries is very fascinating. I think blogging is the new form of 'chatting' these days. It's just done in a way so it's not intrusive or overbearing with a big private instant message.

Great post!

December 17, 2005 4:19 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

Soooo, what.....are you trying to say that you wouldn't want to play with me in real life...just in blog life????Is that it...well, IS IT!!!hahahh...Just kidding barman...blogging really is great huh?...wait, you already said that didn't you? Well then, I agree!

December 18, 2005 12:29 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I find blogging to be so fun but to actually meet people would be 10 times better. I just know that we are all very different people in such different places and sometimes that makes things so unlikely. I mean DiveGoddess is someone I visit regularly to see what she is up to and how the wedding is progressing. But in real life she lives in a section of the United States I have never visited and she is half my age. Had I run into her in real life I am sure I would notice her but that is probably as far as it would go. I would find it awkward walking up to someone that young and I can not even imagine how they would find it. Yet on line it is nothing to drop by her blog or drop and email and say hi. While we are not best friends, I think there is a spark of friendship there. That is just one example of the many people I have found out there and I am not even one of the "popular" ones.

December 18, 2005 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home