Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Ruby Tuesday

OK, here I am sitting in front of the computer near the TV doing something I thought I would never do. I can not believe I am being so weak. I so said I would never do it. I am proud of that fact and now I am compromising myself. What am I doing?


WATCHING A REALITY SHOW!!!


I promised a friend that I would give American Idol a try tonight and see what I think. So far I am not sure. It kind of remains me of the Olympics. You know where you see 2 hours of events and 6 hours of personal information, information about countries, information about prior records, you name it and it is there but very little actual sporting events.

So what is the big deal about watching a reality show anyway? Well I started out by watching the original survivor. I watched every week faithfully. I had one time I was driving into the gym for a water aerobic class and I turned the car around, set on a VCR and went back to the gym, of course a little late. That is a little silly. As it progressed I got more involved in the show and when several of the people I hoped would go all the way get eliminated it was very disappointing. Then to see them set up Jarvis as a lazy bump week after week and then finally present him one week as this very lovable person only to have him voted off. Slick editing. There was more of that too. In the end I decided I needed to give it a rest.

I tried several others. A little Apprentice. At first I thought it was pretty good and maybe even something I could learn something from but then as far as I was concerned it just became to commercial. I tried The Great Race. Now that was different and I enjoyed it until the end of the second season I saw. There was someone that was terrible that kept complaining that they wanted to quit right now. I wanted them out from almost the beginning anyway. Of course they completed the round and then went on to win. To me that was a case of editing again that I hated in Survivor. No they did not rig the contest but yes they edited it all knowing what the final results were and I did not like what I saw. There were some others too but I did not even make it through the first few episodes. At that time I swore them off.

So now, here I am watching. It is getting better. Three groups have now made it and I found myself getting excited. I also find myself not liking this Simon character. What a jerk he seems to be. I would have through there could have been at least a little advice that could be passed on to some of them. I am not sure about this show but yet I still watch. I hope this does not lead to me being addicted yet again. help me...


You know, when I was cleaning out our attic the other day I found an old calendar called "The Week of Love." It had Monday for Meeting, Tuesday for Talking, Wednesday for Wishing, Thursday for Touching, and Friday for some reason had been torn out. --Are You Being Served
8 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

I also got sucked into American Idol tonight. Every season seems the same. They show 90% bad singing and stupid antics. I like to hear the talented people sing. I guess they save that for the finale.

As for Survivor,I watched every season without fail. This past season I watched them all except I forgot to set the VCR to tape the finale. I still don't know who won and really don't care since I didn't like any of them.

I'm ashamed of how much reality TV I have watched. Now I just put that time into the Blog World.

January 17, 2006 10:05 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

P.S. Your blog is still in the wrong time zone. It's really 10 pm not 7. I wasn't sure if you knew.

January 17, 2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I think I would rather spend the time blogging myself but we will see. Of course I did what I tend to do. I paid attention somewhat but instead I spent a fair amount of time on the computer and caught what I thought was important. Of course I have a TiVo enabled box so if it is something I missed, I can just back it up and look at it again.

As to the timezone, I had no idea I had to or even could set that. I have changed it now. Thank you.

January 17, 2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I like reality shows.

January 18, 2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

me too wenchy!

January 18, 2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Well I am reserving my opinion on American Idol until I have seen some more shows. Hi Wenchy and Brigitte.

January 18, 2006 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well there are good reality shows and then there is junk.
Road race looks good but I've never gotten into it.

I can't stand Survivor's first one or two shows, so I skip them then watch the rest of the season.
Same thing with Idol, I like it better as the season goes on and then yes Wife Swap is very good.

January 18, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

I agree about wife swap & I also like trading spouses..I honestly don't understand how anybody couldn't like American Idol..The first shows are suppossed to be funny..I think to show people actuallly how hard it is to be a superstar..It's mind blowing the people that think they are talented & really believe it & are willing to fight with the judges to prove it..The shows that come later your able to connect with a certain few & you really come to love these people & want them to win..The first shows are very disconnected..it reminds me of the old show The Gong Show..your fate lies in the hands of three judges..anybody who like music should be able to connect with this show..if not at first but then as the season goes on like Top Cat said..I like the first shows because they're funny. Hi Bryan!

January 18, 2006 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home