Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Thursdays Child

Wow, I think I am liking it. I have been involved with computers for some time. As a matter of fact 27 years earning a living ... yes they had computers back then!

But for all that I was so behind. I used to use email and usenet news and several other things I have since forgotten. But oh my gosh when I discovered the WEB in its current form. And wow when I put in a cable modem.

It was not all that long ago and I had no idea what a blog was. The only IM I had ever used was at work and that was limited. But now, now I have talked with a small handful of people on IM. Today I carried on a fun little conversation from my friend in Kentucky. I had no idea what I was doing and I must say, she taught me a few trick! WOW, IM is fun. Also I can not believe it. Here I am typing and sending a message to someone that is about 6 1/2 hours away by car (probably 4 hours if one of you where driving, I tend drive the speed limit). There was just a little lag but, at least for a little while we had on the same channel on TV. Silly I know but still, kind of fun. I think we are going to have to go online while Idol is on next Tuesday for instant feedback. I think I am going to like this. I might need to checking into how to break me from my addiction that I am sure I am well on my way to.

Yep I am enjoying IM and getting to know my friend a little bit more.

What else don't I know about IM or what ever else is out there. Why just last night I shot a picture out the back of my house and sent it to a friend in a different continent since she said she liked the snow. I do not believe she has ever seen snow in person before. Today I sent her 4 more pictures and pointed her toward SignGurl from last November since she had some nice snow picture from back than. She could have seen the pictures I sent in minutes if she had been awake (7 hours difference in time you see). I think I need to get me a WEBCam and play with that. I would love to connect between my house and my sisters. I have a niece that is going on 11 and it would be nice to see her more ... oh and my sister too. Well that and maybe a little bit of that chatting I noticed Lara and Top Cat doing. Hummmmmm. The possibilities are endless.

So what else have I missed while I was snoozing? Is there anything else I should know about? Help me out here.


Bridget: Daddy, can our boyfriends come over on Thanksgiving?
Paul: No!
Bridget: Okay, Daddy, can they come over Thursday?
--8 Simple Rules... for Dating My Teenage Daughter
16 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...

Instant messaging used to be fun for me. I mean, back in 1992, when the internet was semi-new, we used to have the in house computer systems with in house email. Then we had the in house instant messenger. My friend and I would send messages back and forth all day long. Then they came out with this like a few years later.

These days? I hate my messenger. I keep it up ocasionally while I'm working when there's not much to do--but I somehow find it annoying. The novelty has wore off.

January 19, 2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I too am learning so much about the internet and ever the world because of my computer.

I can't tell you how much fun I have had with the IM thing. Gigi and I have spent many a night laughing it up and sometimes drinking it up, lol.

Glad you are enjoying your friend in KY (that's Kentucky, not the jelly, perverts). I have to say I really enjoy all the new friends I have and have to rememeber not to forget the old ones!

January 19, 2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger -darlanger said...

even though i am 15 and my generation is known as the computer and electronics generation, i am still learning about the almighty WEB. not that i've not been using computers for a long time, believe me, i've had my own computer since i was 6 so i know computers. but it's different about the WEB, cause i really wasn't able to use it very much until last November when i got a Mini Macintosh and was able to connect with my bro's computer wich is also a Mac. until then i was using the almighty Internet maybe once a month or two months.

January 19, 2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well...the sunshined a bit today, felt almost warm when I left work today and alot of the snow is melting..more of the same for tomorrow..then eeeeeeek snow again.
Tc

January 19, 2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Deb, I hear what you are saying about the IM. At work I turned off what I could so I did not get notified every time someone logged off their computer. In an office of 16 people that could be anoying. Well that and I only included a few people that I work with directly most often. At home I have not noticed this yet but I am sure it is coming.

SignGurl, let me appologize to you. When you brought up Kentucky as you did I could not help bet get this stupid line out of head from the movie Groundhog Day...

Rita: Why would anybody want to steal a groundhog?
Larry: I can think of a couple of reasons... the pervert.

For some reason I bring up a mental image of Chris Elliott when I think about you now. I would much rather think of your picture from today. I must say, you and GiGi drunken Interneting ... now that would be interesting to see.

Hi Satriana, everyone can always stand to learn something new, of course some need to learn more than other ... like me.

It was nice out TC. We walked to Wendys at lunch which is a 10/15 minute walk each way. It was nice to get the walk in.

January 19, 2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Ok, I love Chris Elliot but don't get why I remind you of him. Divulge the details, buddy!

January 19, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Stupid reasons. Not because you sound like him, not because you look or act like him. Just because of the way you said something about KY and that line I quoted. Stupid but the mind can do weird things, especially mine.

January 19, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger Pe.tra said...



Goood morning or should I say evening..

And yes I am alive and kicking..
Had not time this week for my blog, sorry..


So you discovered the world of IM..he-he
Becareful it could be addictive..

I used to do it a while back in the early 90's..
Even met my partner that way..
(interenet love) is possible...

Thanks for your kind words and support..

HAve a terrific week-end..

(And thanks for the link)

You are too kind..= Jij bent lief ( that is dutch)

^.^ xox

January 20, 2006 12:50 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I love it. The e-mail, the internet, the web cam, the IM - love it all... am addicted actually.

TO ALL OF THE ABOVE!

January 20, 2006 6:43 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Ok, I'm resigned to the fact that I remind you of Chris Elliot as long as you don't think I look like him, lol.

Have you seen him in Scary Movie 2? He's brilliant in it.

Snow's on the way. Did you remember to get gas for the snow blower?

January 20, 2006 9:41 AM  
Blogger barman said...

SingGurl, you look like an Angel not Chris Elliot. You don't see me looking at any HNT for Chris Elliot, no sir. lol

OK, look for Scary Movie 2, got it.

Sadly I am going out of town so I can not deal with my snow. Also my garage door is broken so I have to sneek the snow blower out the back of the garage and around the house and ... What a mess I am going to have on Monday.

January 20, 2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi Peety, I know Internet love is possible. I know someone (never met but talked a lot on phone, email, mail, etc, who met her now husband online. They where in the states now they live in Germany. It went wonderful for them. Now me, I tried once and did a bad crash and burn. I don't know about ever trying that again.

Jij bent leaf ... what is wrong with the tree? lol

Thank you and that was neet to see something in your native language. Some languages I can guess what is being said. Dutch I would not have a clue. Now Spanish and possibly French but...

January 20, 2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Wenchy, I need to get a cam and give it a try. I think it could be fun.

January 20, 2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Vous est une ami! Bon soir et amir une voyage.

Votre voisin et Michigan,
Jenn

January 20, 2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

oops, a little rusty on the French...
should be:

Vous est une ami! Bon soir et avoir un tres bien voyage.

Votre voisin et Mighigan,
Jenn

January 20, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

OMG, I never forgot the day where I was kidding around with a co-worker (back in 1992 at a huge medical firm--probably close to 500 people in the building) and I instant messaged her, "Don't have too much fun tonight..." I messaged this throughout the building---to the mail room clerks up to the executives. It even went...yes...to the president.

Everyone laughed THANK GOD---but how embarrassing. They all thought I was telling them not to have too much fun. Fricken stuffed shirt idiots!



Okay, back to my bubble.

January 20, 2006 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home