Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, February 02, 2006

It's Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day movie



Well once again Phil the Ground Hog came up with a prediction of the weather here in the United States. Six more weeks of mild winter. If you ask me Phil should have been predicting Spring or Early Summer as we have not had much of a winter this year.

In the process of checking things out I discoved that the groundhog that we had in Michigan, Noah rest his soul, passed on in 2002. At that time the people of Oxford Michigan decided to hand over the responsability to Mr Prozac and a groundhog puppet. Mr Prozac is a llama. Say what?

Well a little further research shows that last year those crazy people over in Oxford employed another groundhog called Harley. Also Howell has Woody the woodchuck and she has been doing pretty good. Yea, life is back to normal. I mean what is with a llama to predict the weather? Why not a gerbal or even an elephant? So what did they predict? Beats me, that is why I held off and published the late edition (and if you believe that...) but I just can not wait any longer.

So for the most part it looks like a mild end to winter. OK, but what about summer?


Here are a few things that deal with groundhog day.

The official Punxsutawney Phil WEB Site.

Sound clip1 and clip2 from the movie Groundhog Day (for some reason, one of my faves)

Finally here are some games and activities (from Phils site) for Groundhod Day.

Editor: This just in ... Woody concurred with Phil ... 6 more weeks of winter.


When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter. --Groundhog Day

18 Comments:
Blogger Jay said...

In Canada we have an albino groundhog named Wiarton Willie, and he predicted that spring is here!!

February 03, 2006 1:51 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Miss Jay, finally something I can believe in. Toronto's weather can not be all that far off of Mid Michigan. I think I am going to stick with Wiarton Willie!

Then again don't you guys get like a lot of snow up there? Maybe spring there is not the same as spring here! lol Seriously I shall have to check in with Wiarton next year.

Thanks for stopping by.

February 03, 2006 2:06 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

A llama? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha! Can't believe you put that one out there for me. But I do believe I'll run with it. Maybe your wolverines should change their mascot to......the llamas??? BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Perhaps they could spit that green stuff all over our bucks and temporarily blind them so Michigan could at least have a chance of making it to he goal line.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha! Somebody stop me. It's just too easy.

February 03, 2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Crab ... just what we wanted. While you guys are all concentrating on Mr Prozac, the true mascot will be running up the sideline with the ball. All is fair in the rivalry, correct?

February 03, 2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger barman said...

P.S. I checked, no offical rulling about multiple mascots on the field either...

February 03, 2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Only another year ot two isn't it Roxi and you can bail on all the snow. In the mean time you just need frequent visits from a certain someone.

By the way, love you when you are mad. Wow.

February 03, 2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Ahhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha! Wolverines! They look like long skinny kitty cats with pms. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha!

Come November it'll be on my Michigan pals.

I feel I must post a pic soon of my collection. It's right here next to me now. Woody, coach Tressel the whole gang. Standing proud and stong. bobble heads bobbing away.

February 03, 2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

Around here, a nearby college had some sort of scientific study to predict when spring will arrive based on the speed that maple sap flows through a tap. I haven't heard their results yet... it takes several days of study to get accurate readings.

February 03, 2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

The sap won't run if it never gets cold again. It' not going to be a good growing season if it stays this warm.

I have daffodils and hiacynths that are up over 1"! They are so confused and I think I am too.

February 03, 2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Riddle me this.

If it was overcast & gloomy--with absolutely no sunshine the day of the "predition"--how in the hell did Phil see his shadow?

Uh huh. Got ya' didn't I?

;-)

February 03, 2006 11:50 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Crab and Roxi, I think I have to put up a post about the two teams. I started it. I need to do some more thinking and searching...

Lara, I did a search and somehow did not see anything like that mentioned. I must admit that is a very intersting thing. I hope they end up figuring something out.

Wow SG, I never thought to look at my beds. I should see if I have anything coming up. I do have some early rise tulips... oh look, weeds already!

KB, The person I work with that lives about 10 miles from Woody asked the same question. She said it was very overcast. We decided it was all the film crews with TV lights.

February 04, 2006 12:06 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I watched that movie.. and I so didn't get it.

February 04, 2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Wenchy, it was just a silly movie. Why he kept repeating the day is beyound me. What I like about it is how he goes from discovering the day is repeating itself and then taking advantage of the situation to actually doing something good with the day. Why do I like it? Don't know but I just do.

February 04, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger jungle jane said...

you guys are so weird! do you really celebrate groundhog day?

blimey...

February 04, 2006 11:52 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi Jane, there are a few areas that do but for the most part the weather person gets stuck telling people what the groundhog did. Usually you never hear about Groundhog Day unless you actually live in Punxsutawney where it is a big business.

February 04, 2006 11:55 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

LOL More power to ya babe... I just hated that it made me feel super ass dumb 'cause I didn't get it!

February 05, 2006 2:08 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Sorry I left this post up so long then Wenchy. I would not ever want to make you feel dumb. If anything I feel dumb sometimes when I come to visit you at you blog. I love you babe.

February 05, 2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

Barman, I haven't heard anything, so they may not have done the maple sap tests this year... bummer cause they did it for the past 5 years I think, and it was a big event. And on their predicted "first day of spring", students all over campus would wear shorts, etc, regardless of the weather. It was like a festival... lots of fun.

February 05, 2006 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home