Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Saturday, May 13, 2006

KDF Dawn at the Downs... pass the doughnuts

Since I have a bunch of pictures I want to post and I really do not want to slow my page down to much for those with dialup connections I thought I would try something else. On the right hand side of this template you will see a Flickr badge that contains the pictures I have uploaded. I have a bit to learn yet but hopefully it works out.

Wednesday was Dawn at the Downs. Basically I go down with my friend to Churchill Downs. It opens at 7:00 and that is a wonderful time to go. Parking and attending this is FREE, amazing. We typically stop by Krispy Kreme on the way to the track and get either 6 or 12 doughnuts, bring along a thermous of coffee and just enjoy the lovely morning. We usually are there between 3 to 4 hours.


Here is one of my favorite pictures.











We get a box right at the rail and take in the workouts of the horses. We also take in the unique odors. Some of the trainers are very friendly and most of the track people are too. We have been known to share a doughnut with a horse or two but shhhhh ... don't tell anyone. I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.

Churchill Downs has went under a major renovation over the last few years. Part of me hates what happened such as the steeples are no where near as prominent as they used to be. Part of me loves the additions although I am sure I will never find my way into any of those suits.



Here is one of the two steeples and the Derby sign.










Well I hope you check out my pictures in flickr. Warning, besides the 17 or so photos from Dawn at the Downs, there is also a head shot of me lurking about in there. Consider yourself warned.

With Mothers Day upon us I am not sure if I will be able to post before Monday. It is Parade time next.

Happy Mothers day to everyone. I hope you have a great day with friends and family.
13 Comments:
Blogger jungle jane said...

Barman i can't get past the first paragraph of your post to read about yummy things like Krispy Kreme's because i am frozen in shock that people still have dial up...

May 14, 2006 2:07 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

Good morning barman, thanks for the email, it meant a lot to me.
Have a great mothers day.

May 14, 2006 7:46 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

btw, at work we have several charitable events to raise money and food for homeless shelters, operation feed, holiday food basket, and so on. one of our favorite things is to order krisp kremes,(k k ) sells us doughnuts by the dozen and half of the money goes to the charity. They deliver them warm and man oh man there is nothing like it.

May 14, 2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I know what you mean Jane but I know of at least a couple of people that come visit.

For you m-e, anything. You have a nice Mothers Day too. We only just got k,k, where I live about 2 years ago. They have to be terrible for you but boy are they good.

May 14, 2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

I posted a mother's day message.
The squirrel stood me up...not really we both just had different stuff that we needed to get done.
i could use a doughnut right now.

May 14, 2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

You've gone post crazy since I was here on Thursday!

Your pictures are breath taking! They look professional.

I've been missing my horses lately and your posts just made it worse, lol. Think the city would mind if I put one in the back yard?

P.S. On the dial up thing, my parents live in the country where you can only get dial up. It totally sucks but it looks like it could be that way for a while.

May 14, 2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger barman said...

m-e, how about a kk and coffee or milk. Now how do i feed a doughnut into the cable modem? Oh dear, I spilled he beverage.

SG, I took a little over 1700 pictures while I was in Kentucky. Just by accident I should be able to get a few good ones. I have not done much with horses other than riding a few a long time ago. They provided me with some fun but short stories. They sure are beautiful animals. Up until a few years ago I had no choice either. I was happy when they finally made cable modems available to me. I don't see what is wrong with a horse in the city. Of course everyone might want to walk around the yard a whole lot more carefully then and make sure you don't get a jumper. That fence probably wouldn't be a challange at all. If your horse does escape I promise to send him back your way if he comes to vitit.

May 15, 2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Hello Mr. B.

Checking out your Flickr account

May 15, 2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Head shot???? I must run along a pilfer. I'll be back later.

May 15, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Crabcake, sorry you probably already have it. It is what I am using for my avitar. But feel free.

Hi Wenchy. I should have some parade shots in a while so if you are have a moment come on back. Counting down the days to BIRTHDAY!

May 15, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

hi barman.

May 15, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger barman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 15, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi there gorgeous. Looks like Crabby has been playing around again.

May 15, 2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home