Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Positive News For a Change

A while ago a fellow blogger, Denny, asked people when was the last time they heard good news. Try as I might it was hard to think of anything.

Well this is a story about a gentleman from the Detroit area and I think it more then qualifies.


You can read the original story and the follow up story from the Detroit News.

Basically this gentleman is homeless. He lost his job as a roofer and was unable to get another job. It is not surprising as he is 59 and it seems once you hit 50 no one wants you.

Anyway he was trying to collect returnable cans and bottles and came across a package the contained some clothing and almost $21,000 in bonds. What did he do? He turned it into a shelter/kitchen that he frequents and asked for help finding the rightful owner. A few phone calls later the owner was found. And for his trouble they gave him $100 as a reward.

First good for the man of the hour, Mr Moore. A lot of people would not be so honest or would have kicked up a fuss about how relatively small the reward was. Secondly I am impressed with how people stepped forward to give Mr Moore a little more for being so honest since the reward was so lite. The best part is, besides money so he can get an apartment, they also got him a suit and a interview for a job.

There might be hope for mankind yet.



Since the wives are downtown feeding dinners to the homeless, shouldn't we be at the nudie bar feeding dollars to the topless. –Married With Children
10 Comments:
Blogger barman said...

I am fortunate in the radio station I listen to in the morning has someone I have been listening to for years. He digs and brings out not only what is the main news but also stories you would never hear of. He talked about this yesterday and I just knew the Detroit News would cover it. I so enjoyed seeing something good for a change.

July 26, 2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

I hope he gets the job. What great guy!

July 26, 2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Why thank you Crabby... oh, you mean Mr Moore. LOL

I agree, it would be nice to see karma treat him nice for a change.

July 26, 2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger indiansfan said...

Barman, That was great. I heard the same story this morning on my station in Ohio. Guess we have the same kinds of stations that we listen too. That man is truly a good man and God (which ever one you believe in) should shine down on him! He should get the job and back on his feet!

July 26, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger barman said...

IndiansFan, kind of fun about the radio stations. It would be nice if people that really want to work could just work. So many people seem to just want to collect a pay check and not do anything to earn it.

July 26, 2006 8:17 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

Your right about the age issue. My hubby is 55 and just 2 years ago was having a hard time finding a job. This year was worse because he was 54 and needing a job. Thank goodness our youngest son asked his boss to hire him. That is why he now is assisant manager for Holiday station stores. Unfortunally he doesnt make enough to cover the house payment let alone all the rest of the bills hence our daughter and her 3 boys living with us. This is why he is checking out the trucking job.

July 26, 2006 10:39 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

Oh yeah and great story I hope he has some good luck soon

July 26, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

People are basically good. I think most of the problems stem from some folks greed and selfishness.

When I read the part about a $100.00 reward I have to admit my first thought was "cheap ass", but I was relieved when I read the rest of the story.

July 27, 2006 5:58 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I think it is a super story Chrissie. I just hope I do not end up hearing something bad about this guy in the next few weeks. It seems like that is the pattern for someone to do something great and then really turn out to be a jerk. I don't think so this time.

Manny, I agree but you know what. If it was me I would try to not take the reward. But then I am not homeless.

Gab the age things scares me. I am 49 and before I know it I will be squarely in that catagory. That abd being over weight I have little hope. I best be happy for what I have.

July 29, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I thought I had commented on this but I guess not. I did read it though. It's nice to hear a good story about our fellow man. I wish this man nothing but the best.

July 31, 2006 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home