Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Vampires

Yesterday I gave blood for the 1 millionth time. OK, so I exaggerate just a little but I would guess it is probably at least 75 times. I used to look forward to donating but several things happened. First I started to have trouble with my blood pressure and was even rejected once because of it. I have since went on medication. The second thing is the process is just insane.

It is just about impossible to get out of the place in under an hour. Now I do not mind giving but having to drive there, spend between an hour and an hour and a half, and then head back it adds up to just the near side of 2 hours. Why can’t I do this over my lunch hour?

I find it discouraging. Every time I am handed the same material and told to read it. Come on, this is silly and a waste of time. Next I go through a small screening. Not to bad but usually this is real backed up. Then off to the beds, clean the arm and several minutes later you are all done.

Now yesterday went much better. There was not very many people there. As soon as I finished reading the same material AGAIN I was given a number. Within 2 minutes I was off to screening and asked several questions twice, once by each person that handled the screening (grr) but that went fine. I was allowed to take the screening questions on the computer myself which was probably slightly slower then if they did it. Hey this could be a good thing. Maybe they will allow this to be done online ahead of time. That would be great. Then it was off to the beds. The person that was suppose to draw my blood was in a conversation with the person she was drawing blood from but someone else came along and got me started and, when I was done they came back and finished things. By the time I was done, over to get milk and cookies (just water for me please) ... I was out of there in just short of 50 minutes. Now that was better.

I sure hope they can find ways of speeding things up. I miss the old days when you used to be able to walk up and donate and almost always be done in under an hour.

Anyway I think you need to be nice to me today since I gave blood. I have a sticker that says so.


When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross! –Dirty Harry
8 Comments:
Blogger Roxi said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

I hate needles..

I hate giving blood..

wait..

I cant give blood.. ehehheheh

I have a blood disorder!!

wooo hooo for me!!

nice of you to give up some of your sanguine though..

hey!! you should come out the the german park picinic this weekend.. its saturday... beer and german food!!

celebrate the giving of the blood thing

July 25, 2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger ohc said...

You are a good and brave soul! Good for you! Be good to your self and indulge in something special!

July 25, 2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger indiansfan said...

Barman, you are the best! That was so nice of you to donate. I used to but the last couple times they put the needle in wrong and when I told them, they told me it was fine but there was something wrong cuz it wasn't coming out right. DUH!! It was in and then out of the vein. I could feel it. Anyway, you make me want to give them another try when they come to work. Thanks for sharing. I think I will!

July 25, 2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I don't give near as often as I should. Roxi that disorder would not be to much alcahol would it? Sorry to hear that Roxi. Hopefully the disorder does not affect anything else in you life.

OHC, you know I did not mention the giving blood to sound like I did something special. But I do feel good that giving just might make a difference to someone somewhere. Thanks for the kind words.

IndiansFan, I have had a time or two where it was not coming out to well. I also had several times where it stung the entire time. For the most part, however, it has went well for me. You know it would be great if you could donate again but even if you don't, hey good for you that you have donated in the past. Not everyone can say that.

July 25, 2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Chrissie. I am O+ which is the most common. I am called the univeral donor. They say come one down. Don't know about the chemo but I would imagine being anemic would be a bad thing for you to give. What ever caused you to go through chemo... I hope all is well with you now.

July 25, 2006 10:31 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

I tried to give blood but they turned me down because my hubby has tested for hepatitis c since he was 11 years old. So I cant give blood. Its too bad because its someone like me who needs it. After the birth of my first 2 kids I needed a transfusion. The third one they gave me plasma first before I gave birth should have had a transfusion instead I think as I ended up with blood clots in my legs after wards and the next year and a half was hell.

July 25, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Gab, yep... hep C gives you a get out of jail free card for sure. Luckily there are people willing and able to give. I just hope they continue doing blood drives in high schools. That is how my friend and I started giving and we have been semi regular ever since.

July 25, 2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

I can't give blood but the waiting,waiting and filling out crazy forms would do me in. You are a good guy Bryan.

July 31, 2006 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home