Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Saturday's Photo Scavengar Hunt - Comfy



PSHunt
Grab the Scavenger Hunt code.
Photo Theme. Join the blogroll. Visit participants.

This weeks theme is Comfy.

Now I was not going to participate this week. I just had no idea what to do for comfy. I guess I could have put something nice and warm on with a big warm smile or something but somehow I just was not feeling it. I did peek once and only saw a few peoples hunt entries and they were all very nice but somehow that did not help. And then I had an idea.



This picture is of my weather radio that I purchased earlier this year. What does it do? Well not much. Most of the time it sits on a dresser in my bedroom and just takes up space. It also needs to be dusted off. It uses a little electricity and needs the battery replaced from time to time. But it is the other thing that it does that makes me think comfy.

24 hours a day, 7 days a week it monitors NOAA radio for various conditions. I can set what those conditions are and also what areas, such as the county I live in and the one to my west and maybe south, that I wish to monitor. If anything happens the radio plays the plectron and then announces what the alert is. It then shuts up and goes back into monitor mode waiting for what ever is next. On the display it also tells you how what alert has occurred and how much longer before the alert is cleared.

I have mine set for fairly sever weather. I got this monitor because it was fairly often that something would sneak up on me. Once a tornado went practically over my house without me knowing about it until the sirens from the next county over went off. Also when you are sleeping at night, unless the alert sirens outside go off and you hear them, you have no idea that you should be going for cover. Most times it probably is fine but not always.

So this little box of wires and LCD and more makes me feel comfy, especially at night. Nighty, night weather radio.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:
Blogger Michele said...

Wow, that's neat, something nice to have! thanks for stopping by!

September 30, 2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

I miss mine and thought about buying a new one. They are the best to have especially at night! Yes that is a great comfort to know that someone is watching the weather for you then alerting you if danger is on its way. Good one Barman

September 30, 2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger Wystful1 said...

I know what you mean about not wanting to do this week's....for me, comfy isn't an easy one to come up with anything other than jammies or a bed or something mundane. I think you have a good thought here!!! Yes indeedy!!

That is so cool! Does it alert you to hurricanes? Hmmmm, I need something like that!

Happy Sunday, and thanks for dropping by.

October 01, 2006 6:44 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

Squirrel bought me one for Christmas last year, but mine is also a tv ban radio so I took it to work. Or maybe it's a radio with the weather alert thingies on it. Either way it does make a warning sound, but it has to be set to weather mode before it does that.

Good job.

October 01, 2006 7:07 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That's pretty awesome. I agree with you. You feel comfy sleeping at night knowing that there is something to alarm you of what is to happen. Nice post.
Thanks for stopping by and for the concern.

October 01, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Crashtest Comic said...

There's an easier way to know what the weather is--stick your head out the window.

If it get's wet, it's raining.

"You don't need a weatherman to tell you where the wind blows."
--Bob Dylan

www.crashtestcomic.com

October 01, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Crashtest Comic said...

PS:

You look like you fart alot. Care to comment?

October 01, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Retro Girl said...

It beats having to scroll thru the TV channels to find the weather channel and waiting for the Local on the 8's...lol :-)

How cool!

October 01, 2006 10:36 AM  
Blogger someone else said...

I think that's a clever item to post as comfy. It's always a comfort to have a little warning when bad weather threatens.

October 01, 2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger Sariah said...

Great take on the theme, very creative. :)

Thanks for visiting mine. :)

October 01, 2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Nice comfort zone!

October 01, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

LOL! That is EXCELLENT for "comfy" -- no one said it had to be all warm and cozy! Just ... comfy! Cool!

October 01, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, it's a comfortable feeling to know that you are safer. Nice match to the theme.

October 01, 2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Frances D said...

I will always remember my dad sitting out on the balcony every morning in summer or at the dining table in winter listening to his weather monitor thingie. He loved it.
Your photo brought back a comfy memory for me.
Thanks for visiting.
Frances

October 02, 2006 12:33 AM  
Blogger PastormacsAnn said...

Comfy comes in all shapes and sizes.

Safe=Comfy? Definitely!

October 02, 2006 2:08 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

I can well understand the comfort derived from this. I'm so glad we don't have such extremes of weather here, well very rarely anyway.

October 02, 2006 4:34 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Hope you had a great weekend and that your Monday is fabulous

October 02, 2006 6:42 AM  
Blogger eph2810 said...

Hehe - this is too funny for the hunt this week. Usually the weather is here- hot and hotter :)

October 02, 2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Carmen said...

it's good that you're prepared!

October 02, 2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger Fastest Squirrel said...

Sweeet! Everyone should have one.

October 08, 2006 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home