Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Free For All

I have really grown over the years at what I do for a living. I have been developing software and systems for 28 years now. Some people might consider that boring but I actually love the challenge.

Let's get into that way back machine for a moment. The first program I had to do was produce a report. Nothing to big. They told me what they wanted and another developer filled me in on the environment around there I was going to have to work with. I disappeared for a month. Yes I said a month it took me to get the project done. Now part of it was just getting used to the stuff I needed to work with. When I presented the program the first thing they did was ask if I could make a few minor changes. I said sure, give me a week. To this day I can not believe I was not fired for how long it took to do things.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was trying really hard to finish a project so I could go home early. The whole time I was trying to wrap things up I was in conversation in email with people that were changing what it is that needed to be done. How on earth are you suppose to hit a moving target. But what I find interesting is it did not phase me. I have grown tons in the time I have been developing software. I do things in a flexible way it I can move forward even when I do not have all the answers. I plan things in such a way that, short of a major change, I can usually accommodate about any change. What a long way I have come. In the end I not only did not go home early but I stayed almost 30 minutes late. Maybe I can sneak out early today.

What did not help yesterday was that SignGurl was having an operation. I found myself the whole time keeping her on my mind. I was worried about how long it was taking as I had looked up about how long they expect that procedure to take and it seemed over due. I was very happy when I heard all was well. But now here comes the interesting part to me.

I have known SignGurl for about 11 months now. In that time I have met her over that one weekend of the blogger meet in March. I also attended a concert that her oldest daughter was playing in so I said hello that day. Other than that it has just been the exchange of comments and some times email. So why was it affecting me like that? Now do not get me wrong, she is a wonderful person but it just seems interesting that would affect me like that. Of course what has happened with her and actually many people is they have become my friends. Even people I have never met in real life fit in that category. Isn't that amazing. Of course it could be just me.

Boy I am really hating regular TV these days. The stupid political commercials are insane. There is only one commercial has got me thinking. I thought I knew how I was going to bote on all the proposals but now I am not sure about the one. Now I have to spend several hours researching this and probably even read the bill behind the proposal. I hate having to do that. You never can understand what it is that they say but I fear I do not trust anyone else to tell me really what is going on. Now I am not usually that anal about voting but this particular proposal is important not to get it wrong. I think once I figure out what I am doing, I am going to go to sleep for the little over a week until the elections get here so I do not need to deal with the commercials, the phone calls, the mail ... wake me in 12 days please.


Commercials? Oh boy, I can't wait. Thirty-second materialistic sound bites that insult our intelligence? Ooooooh, give me more of those! --Mystery Science Theater 3000
8 Comments:
Blogger BTExpress said...

I too have made, what I consider, friends through my blog. I'll bet all practically all the bloggers have.

October 26, 2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Your such a doll B-Man.I don't think I can do wrong in your eyes.LOL
I just wish more people had YOUR eyeballs.(grin)
I always say...if it feels good,DO IT.Know what I mean jelly bean?
~hugs~
T.

October 26, 2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger ell said...

p.s. any more news about signgurl?

October 26, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger ell said...

i guess my first comment was eaten by blogger. i suggested you try a few episodes of lost or nip/tuck. i'm hooked on both.

October 26, 2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Don't you hate it when blogger gets hungry Ell!

I tried watching Lost once but ... I was just lost so I never did go back to that. I have seen Nip/Tuck but I keep forgetting when it is on. Now that show amazes me how far they go. Very interesting.

I am not expecting to hear from SignGurl or her husband any more. I also hate to bother her. If we do not hear from her tomorrow sometime then I will call and see if I can get an update. Sorry, I know people would like to know what is going on. So would I but I want to give her a little space.

October 26, 2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Being on the 'other side' I am compelled to say this:

Give them what they need, a program that works the way they need it to, don't blame them for not knowing what you know.

Do this and they will sing sweet song's to you.

October 26, 2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Manny this was not an end user thing. It was more of internal processes so we could offer improved service to people.

When ever I work with end users I am always careful to ask what they want and then tell them what they probably want. Sometimes they are just confused. Sometimes they have not throught it through enough and I know what they are asking for will not make them happy. Anyway we agree and then I move on. What I do not tollerate very much is when something is asked for, we talk it all out, and then they change their mind especially when the project is almost done. When that happens I almost always deliver what was agreed upon and then handle the new request as a change. It I did not do that then programs would never get done. Luckily I tend to get decent feedback up front usually.

October 26, 2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Cappy, never seen it. On your word I tuned in thus evening. Thanks Cappy, great show!

October 26, 2006 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home