Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Big Times

Yesterday was a big day around here. Well besides being Split Pea Soup day or week which is big in itself... yesterday the area I live it started production of two vehicles in a new GM plant that was built here. The first for sale automobiles were produced yesterday. A silver-toned GMC Acadia was first off the line followed by a white Saturn Outlook. Now the reason this was big is we have had several GM plants close down over the last couple of years. If it was not for the promise of this new plant it would have been real devastating.

Today is another big day up here in Michigan. It is opening day of firearm deer hunting season. It lasts from November 15 to November 30. It is huge here. You notice a lack of people at work today as they are out in the woods waiting for dawn. It has been forever since I joined the hunt, probably back in high school. I always had problems because we had an event called Band-A-Rama. Our director was very hard on this. We had to be present for the event. It really made it come down to will you deer hunt or be in the band performance. The performance was always fun to be in. Basically it was a marching band performance inside in a gymnasium. Of course there was much more than that. There was lots of skits and small groups performing. It was an excellent show but then I am pretty biased about it.

Anyway I was never lucky in hunting. The one time I actually saw a deer up close I must have fell asleep as all of a sudden there was a deer not more than 25 feet in front of me. The adrenalin started pumping as I slowly work the rifle up. Many shots later the deer was long gone and I just sat there and wondered how I could have missed it. I suspect what happened is deep down I really did not want to shoot a deer. The thought of what came next was not pleasant. I like animals so this just seemed so against my feelings. Anyway I have not been hunting for years but still this is a huge draw every year here.

A few more days and Silver Bells will be here. I plan to be there so I think I should have a few pictures. If you are ever curious you can check out a post the SignGurl did almost a year ago about last years Silver Bell. From what I remember it was pretty nice. It is how I first ran into SignGurl online.

Well off to enjoy my day off. No, not for deer hunting but just to get some work done around the house. Happy hump day.


I like your style, hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer, theft of police property, illegal possession of a firearm, five counts of attempted murder. That comes to $29.40. Cash, check or credit card. --Farscape
5 Comments:
Blogger GAB said...

Yeah I wouldnt let hubby go hunting for a long time for the fact of awww your killing a beautiful animal. Then a few years ago I backed down and let him go pheasent hunting. But I draw the line at hunting deer. All I can see there is killing Bambi! So he doesnt deer hunt. If someone offers us deer meat I will take it and use it but I try thinking its just regular meat not Bambi Im cooking. Sad isnt it?

November 15, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Gab you can not help what you think. Just don't think about Elsey the cow when you have your next hamburger.

Of course is it that I have a thing about hunting or is it I am just that bad at hunting? LOL

November 15, 2006 9:09 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Hey you, haven't seen you around in a while! Enjoy your day : )

November 15, 2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Never went hunting....

My neighbors had a deer hanging from their deck once when I was little, guess they were getting ready to gut it....

creeped me out

November 15, 2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Denny I am not totally against killing things but for the most part I try not to. Hunting, however, is something that I never really got into. I think I would enjoy it more to go hunting with a camera.

Oh my Brighton, it has been a while. I will head right over. Sorry, I guess I got busy and then opps. Glad things seem to be going better with you and the hubby.

Kristen, that is the one thing about deer hunting I dreaded the most. I am not sure I could have done that to a deer even if they were dead.

November 15, 2006 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home