Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Lunch with the DSO

Yesterday afternoon was fun. I sure wish had got there sooner. The Detroit Symphony Orchestra came to Lansing to play a mini concert. I believe what they are doing is touring the state to try and get people introduced to the group and interested in coming to see a performance. That and also to get people to support the arts.

Now let me tell you, I absolutely love the Symphony group that Signs #1 daughter plays in. They are really pretty good. But oh my, I fell in love with the songs I heard the DSO play. The french horns were awesome. Sorry, I have a thing for french horns since I played 3rd and 4th chair parts all through high school. Never that good but you know what, it gave me the love for music and the french horn specifically. They are such a versatile instrument and the different ways they can be played. Gotta love ringing the bell ... no, well I do.

Anyway I am getting more and more used to strings and they were wonderful. It sounded like that had hundreds of them there and I am not exaggerating. I also heard this one part and, after listening for about 30 seconds I said that just has to be a ... and then I saw the harp. It was magical sounding and was most of everything I heard them play. I think part of it was the fact they were miked and I heard some of it over the speakers and some of it live. It was rather interesting. They were building to an ending and building and they built to closing with God Bless America and closed with a John Philip Sousa march. Perfect, just perfect ending.

Sure wish I would have brought a camera but I forgot that they were touring around. So what did you do for lunch? Hope it was as wonderful as mine. The only thing that could have toped that was a lunch meeting with Sign and G-man. Go check out their lunch meeting. Well at least the DSO was a nice condolence prize.
13 Comments:
Blogger G-Man said...

Was it free?
You never said.
Didn't you offer to show your Boobs over at my post?
I think everyones waiting!
Now remember to do a 55!!
I'm reminding you now...
G-man

June 13, 2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

R.U showing your boobs?????????
Ilove the strings, the best was in Venice we went to see a string Quartet play Vavaldi's Four Seasons. I still get goose- pimples down my back when i think about it. Now the harp has magical powers, I go into a trance when I hear one, also they look so beautiful. The french hornis really hard to learn to play isn't it? You may have noticed you've hit on one of my fav subjects, sorry to gab on so!!!

June 14, 2007 7:20 AM  
Blogger barman said...

G-man, it was outside and just over an hour long. I did not realize they were going to play when I heard they were coming. And yes, it was free which is amazing as I checked prices and I think one performance goes for $38 and up, up, up. I will work up something for tomorrow. I am thinking on following on the Symphony theme just for the heck of it.

Queenie, feel free to go on and on any time especially about this. Music really is a universal thing anyway and I think most people appreciate it if not really enjoy it. You know, I think I have the same affect when I hear a harp. It must be magic.

I can feel the goose pimples myself at times. I have heard quartets before but not string quartets. There is something about a small grouping of instruments like that I really enjoy it and to hear Vivaldi for Seasons, wow that would have been very special.

I found the french horn not to bad. The worst part for me was trying to hit the high notes. I would get a headache when I tried to do that. Luckily the 1st and 2nd chair tended to play melody and the high notes more than I did playing 3rd and 4th chair parts. Other than having to lug it around I really did love the instrument.

June 14, 2007 7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful opportunity to see and hear the DSO Bryan.
Glad you enjoyed it.:)
tc

June 14, 2007 8:23 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Glad you enjoyed the music. You have some cool pictures of little performers in your previous posts :)

June 14, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger S said...

That is not a super model pose with the messy hair...it is me lying on the floor in front of the fan, which is on full blast!
LOL
Where is your HNT

June 14, 2007 10:42 AM  
Blogger lime said...

sounds liek a nice time. and yes i think that joint lunch date would have been an awful lot of fun

June 14, 2007 11:18 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

It's funny that such a young group can play so well. If my daughter wasn't in it, I wouldn't believe that they are just high school kids. I think we have been spoiled.

I'd love to see the DSO. They have to be amazing.

June 14, 2007 1:46 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Yep. I like french horns too.

June 14, 2007 2:19 PM  
Blogger barman said...

TC, I could not believe how good they were. I have seen profesional theater before and been dissapointed. I have learned not to expect to much. Then I hear the group Signs daughter is in and they very good, way better then any high school and then the DSO. My faith has been restored. I sure hope some of the the local group find their way to Detroit in the future.

Thank you Mona. Pictures always do such a better job than I do when talking.

S I say supermodel ... huh! Actually I do think it looks real good and I am not just pulling you leg.

Lime the two of them have such great personalities. The one lunch I did attend with them, it was hard to get a word in. I was to busy listening and being entertained. And the DSO was a great time. Probably almost as good as seeing the Phil Harmonic play but that is just a guess.

Sign they really were wonderful. As great as your group is, they were even better. I found it hard to believe.

Crabbs you can do so much with the french horn. It has lots of bendy thing you can pull out and empty (well maybe that is not so nice), a big carry thing you can put things into should the need arise, a case that can double as a seat if your sit upon needs to sit upon something. Yep pretty interesting I tell you.

June 14, 2007 2:52 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

The French horn has such a soothing sound and I so know what you mean about liking it. There is a song by Pink Floyd that has a bit in it with the French horn...Wish You Were Here...I just love that song...you get to hear how soothing the horn is...the guitar.

Have a great day and it sounds as if the DSO was a GREAT way to spend your lunch.

;o)

June 14, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger SIMPLY ME said...

Hey how long do you get for lunch??? And repeat after me..."never go anywhere without my camera" !

June 14, 2007 8:39 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Barman, sounds like a great day!

Good for you.....!!!!!!!!!

June 14, 2007 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home