Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, August 24, 2007

55Flash Fiction Friday

It is scary as I fly through the air
Why is this happening to me?
I have lead a good life
yet now I head to my certain death.


Soon I will crash land
despite anything that I can do

I just hope my seams do not split
Oh the life of a cornhole bag.




Well a couple of weeks ago I ordered some cornhole bags from


You can find Steph's Bags here.

You can follow this link to a prior post of mine about cornhole or let me real quickly explain cornhole. You either play with 2 or 4 people. You toss a bag and your opponent tosses one, then you, then them, etc until you have tossed all 8 bags. You are tossing the bags about 30 feet to a board that has a hole in it. You want the bag to go through the hole. Short of that you want the bag to land on the board. Through the hole is worth 3 points, on the board is worth 1 point. First one to 21 wins. Now this is abbreviated and I did leave a little out but hopefully that helps the above 55 make a little more sense.

Yesterday the bags showed up. I sure wish I could use them but I am just beginning to make my boards. Hopefully I will have at least one set built this weekend if not both sets.

Now there is something special about the bags I ordered. Besides being built well with quality material, besides the way the people I ordered them from have treated this order, besides all that these stand out. My bags are split color. The top is a different color than the bottom. Look below for a picture of said bags.


Here are my University of Michigan /
Ohio State University cornhole bags


These are my Michigan State University /
Detroit Red Wings cornhole bags

So why did I do it beside being different and standing out. Well here is the story.

Since I grew up in South Eastern Michigan I have always been a University of Michigan fan. So it was a natural to want to build a set of boards that have U of M logo on them. More recently however I have been rooting for Michigan State University. So, OK ... if I am making two sets, that can work out.

But I also love the Detroit Red Wings and I am sorry, I just do not intend to have three sets. Two I can justify a few times a year even though storing is a pain but three is silly. Oh and also lately I have decided that what I love about U of M is their football program and I am sorry, even though I am not a fan of Ohio State, what would either program be without each other. They kind of make each other a better team. Ever year I root for U of M to beat Ohio State. But ever other game of the year I root for Ohio State to win, just like I root for U of M. It just makes that final game at the end of the season so much more exciting. So now I want an Ohio State board too. Four sets, no way, not going to happen.

So, here is what I decided to do. Why not build one set consisting of 2 boards. One is U of M, one of Ohio State. And then the second set would be contain a Michigan State board and Detroit Red Wings board. Now that is a strange combination. So now, what about the cornhole bags?

Normally a set of bags include 4 of one color, like blue and 4 of another color, like yellow (or maze for you U of M fans). Well this just would not do. So what I did is look around to find someone that would build the bags only in two colors. That way I could have four bags that are blue on top and yellow on the bottom for the U of M board, red on top and grey on the bottom for Ohio State board, green on top and white on the bottom for the Michigan State board, and finally red on one side and white on the other for the Detroit Red Wings board.

Let me tell you I love the way Stephanie put the bags together. They look and feel real sound. I love that, despite not being the cheapest bags around, they did not cost extra for the split color bags. And I just love that she would do it period as I had not found anyone else that would do this. We will see how these suckers do as I intend to put together a small tournament on the Saturday before Labor Day when a whole group (30 to 50 people) of us are going camping.

Labels:

21 Comments:
Blogger Tamara said...

Hi B.,
Sounds like your a busy bee too!
hugs!!
sending u an invite.Hope u accept honey bun!

August 24, 2007 6:51 PM  
Blogger snowelf said...

Hey Bryan,

How nice that it worked out like that!! As I said before, it sounds like a lot of fun and a great reason for a get together. :)

Have a wonderful weekend,

--snow

August 24, 2007 10:30 PM  
Blogger S said...

Well ya scared me at first with that term...but I got over it!
Thanks for playing 55 with us, Bryan and now I know alot about cornhole ..erm, bags.

August 24, 2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

LOL! Poor cornhole bags..what a frightening life!!!

This is really funny.

I like the split colored bags & Stephanie[love the name] did place them well. :)

Have fun camping!

August 25, 2007 1:20 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

now those are cool and the game sounds fun...something my grandkids can do since they love throwing things. Thanks Bryan

August 25, 2007 1:33 AM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Bryan, great post about your beloved cornhole bags!
You are right, Stephanie did an excellent job, and your tournament you have planned sounds like such fun!!!!!
But so does the camping trip!
I bet you were so excited when the bags came in, and you saw your favorite team colors!!!!!!

August 25, 2007 2:44 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

I can't help but giggle every time I read the word, 'cornhole.'

It makes me want to play CORNHOLE just so I can say CORNHOLE over and over again and annoy everybody with my childish antics.

Your 55 about the life and death of a CORNHOLE bag was brilliant and really shows your love for the game of CORNHOLE.

August 25, 2007 3:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank goodness for the explanation, which I of course missed reading so I was sitting here wondering what on earth the boards and bags were all about. Your explanation, when I finally read it, made it all clear - it sounds like a fun game.

August 25, 2007 7:21 AM  
Blogger lime said...

LOL, i have a bit of a feeling how that cornhole bag felt! terrific 55 as always, bryan. enjoy you new game baords and bags.

August 25, 2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Tammie, I must have missed the invite. I will see if I can IM you since you have an IM id listed on you profile.

Snow at the moment I am obsessed with the game since I am trying to get two of them put together before Labor Day. But I think it will be a fun game for just about everyone. I love to do group things. I sure wish we could get everyone together. I can not even imagine meeting everyone.

I know Susie, that is a weird name. But you see the bags are filled with corn and you are trying to throw the bags through a hole but still. I guess they were going for the shock factor.

Thank you Mona. I think it will be great as long as it does not rain. Yes, I am glad I do not have to go through what those poor, poor bags do.

GAB, I think, if they are moved closer, they would work out perfectly... especially for boys. Girls maybe not so much. I only say that since boys always love to throw things.

LW, only another week and I will see how this all works out. I sure hope I get everything put together in time. It was very exciting opening the box then a let down since the boards are nor ready yet. Oh well, soon... very soon.

Strumpet, it sounds like your kind of game. Something just a little on the twisted side. No doubt something put together by college students. So why did I just flash back the the friends episode where they invented "fireball"?

Pauline, when I first put it up I did not have an explanation. Then I added one because I realize I am all caught up in this at the moment and no one would have a clue what I was talking about. It is a fun game but is has been around even before this as some sort of bean bag toss game. Not sure how it differs.

Oh Lime, I so forgot about that little event. You did kind of come apart at the seams, didn't you. I am glad they managed to stitch you back up even if you are not perfect. Gosh, now I want to have a tie-dye cornhole bag set!

August 25, 2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

I think what Strumpet is referring to is that "cornhole" used to be a common term for anal sex. That's why its disturbing. Adding bag to the term just makes it that much worse. Couldn't they have named it Cornbag Hole or Cornbag toss? Wouldn't that make more sense? No. They knew the original meaning and capitalized on it.

August 25, 2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger barman said...

You know they did Charles, you know they dis. Did I mention that there is usually a lot of drinking associated with this game too. Bet you already assumed that.

August 25, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Strumpet...
Anal Sex...?
Really...?

Charles, Pulease!!!!


Great 55 Bryan,
And it IS a good thing you explained everything.

Just don't come up with any games the start with "Blow Job"...
Or "Jack-Off"...
Have a great week-end son!!

August 25, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Hey Mr. B.................. Just saying hello.

August 25, 2007 1:45 PM  
Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` I guess I'm lucky the necrophiliac wasn't into cornholing!

August 25, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Spoony Quine said...

` ...I just had to say that.

` I wonder how many people have had sex with cornhole bags?

August 25, 2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger barman said...

G, I realize it was way out there otherwise. It stopped raining ... time for a ride...

Rebicmel, I will be more back to normal after a week or so when I finish the game set and get some playing in next weekend. It is fun however.

Hi Wenchy, sorry I have not visited. I hope all is well with you. Let me stop on by and return the hello.

Seequine, that could have been a very bad thing but would could you do? You were dead and all. As to sex with cornhole bags, I think couch cushions would work much better.

August 25, 2007 2:17 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Bryan, off subject but 'Friends' was my all time fave show!!!!!!!!!!!

August 25, 2007 7:52 PM  
Blogger barman said...

LW, I did not watch it for the first several years then I started to like it. By the end I really liked the show.

Better watch it. I hear Joe Triviani is wandering around in Cali somewhere. How you dooiiiinnnnnn!

August 25, 2007 8:03 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

I be doin' GREAT Bryan!
How be you?????!!!!!

August 25, 2007 9:03 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Gives LW a interesting look that bobs his head up and down in approval.

August 25, 2007 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home