Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Sunday, August 12, 2007

MIA and Cornhole

Boy the last few days have been interesting. I am not getting anything done but I am doing a lot of plotting and planning. I am in the process of trying to build one or two sets of Cornhole. What, you never heard of cornhole? Well lets take care of that first.

Here is a link to AJJ Cornhole from one of the places that sell cornhole stuff or you can read the first paragraph or two of this wikipedia article. One warning, if you go searching the WEB for cornhole and you have no filters turned on expect some pretty rude stuff to show up.



If you do not care to follow the links, cornhole is a bean bag toss game only you are playing with bags that are filled with corn. Think of it a lot like horse shoes if you are familiar with that only instead of getting a ringer you are trying to get the bag through the hole (3 points) or get it to stay on the board (1 point). You most likely play to 21 but I think I have seen some people play with a score of 11 to nothing as a shutout. Some people also make it so you have to get exactly 21 to go out and if you are over you go back similar to darts.




Anyway I know better then to try and build the corn bags. I have heard of to many of them falling apart with little use. There are tons of people selling cornhole boards and bags on the Internet but I wanted something special. Late last week I finally found what I wanted. There is this site in Kentucky that will make two color bags. Most will only do one color. Not only that but shipping was reasonable and I saw reference to them on a few sites saying there were good people to work with. So score, I should probably see my cornhole bags sometime this week.




On to the boards. My first thought was to cut the 2x4s on a 45 and put them together. Then cut the frame to recess the top into the frame. It would be so cool but 1) I am not real handy when it comes to working with wood (keep it simple). 2) I have limited amount of tools so I would have to either buy or borrow at least a few tools, more if I go fancy. 3) I want these done for the beginning of September and that is not that far off.

Well I started out fancy, now I switched to just plain. I found pre cut plywood for not all that much more than buying a full sized sheet. I got a couple of tools I will need to complete this and will rent one tool that I wish I could buy but $200-300 is just to much but I would so use it more than this project. Also I figure one person I work with probably has a belt sander I can borrow from him. It is starting to come together.

If I ever do get these games put together I will post pictures but I suspect they are going to start life as plain base colored and have a logo added over the winter. In case you were wondering what I was doing for boards? One will be a Michigan State University board. One will be a Detroit Red Wing board. One will be a University of Michigan board and the final one. The final one will be an Ohio State University board. Very odd combinations but I love the rivalry between Michigan and Ohio State. I mean I want to see Michigan win but what fun would it be if it was not against Ohio.
13 Comments:
Blogger morgetron said...

Hey there Barman. I have a question for you. If you don't mind, will you drop me a line at morgetron@gmail.com?

-J

PS: Just to warn you, one question inevitably leads to another.

August 13, 2007 1:44 AM  
Blogger morgetron said...

Hey! I was first! Yippppeeee! And now I've actually read this post. Have you ever played Snake? It used to be a homemade game, but now they're charging like $50 at sporting good stores, but under another name, which escapes me right now.

Cornhole.

That sounds dirty.

It sounds like something we'd play here in Nebraska.

-J

August 13, 2007 1:46 AM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

The game sounds fun!!!!!!!
Never heard of it, maybe it hasn't reached Cali!!!!!
Oh and no way would I search it, lol!

Good to see you back, missed you!

August 13, 2007 1:48 AM  
Blogger snowelf said...

So Barman, are you having a big cornhole party for us when you get finished? I'll bring a veggie tray. ;)

--snow

August 13, 2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger barman said...

J, I wonder if what you are talking about is called BlongoBall. If it is I only played it once on a set my brother built. It was kind of cool. Now I see they have store bought for $65. Amazing for what the game entails. That would be a good thing to bring along over Labor Day but maybe next year. I will have to ask my brother how he made it. In particulare the thing you throw. I think the closet tie to corn is the bag is filled with it so I am not so sure about Nebraska. It has caught on pretty good in the mid-west. It also has been big with NASCAR fans.

LittleWing, I am sure there is a little of it where you are. It just is real big where I am since the game was started in Cincinati Ohio which is only 5 to 6 hours from my home. It is taking it's time spreading but it is getting there.

Snow, sure why not. I will break the set in over Labor Day then we can have a big shindig.

August 13, 2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger S said...

Barman, Jmorgetron wants a 55 banner....I sent her over here.
Can you help her out?

I would love one if you could make it little, that would work better for me.

Hope you had a great weekend!

August 13, 2007 1:04 PM  
Blogger lime said...

all these regional back yard games are such fun. we made quoit boards....it's slanted like yours but has a spike you throw rubber donuts onto.

August 13, 2007 4:09 PM  
Blogger barman said...

S, I sent you something. If you think I should send the same thing to Jmorgetron I have no problem with that. The only thing is I thought you should have it since I see people asking you for it more than they would for me. Either way is fine however.

Lime I think all these games have one thing in common. Getting people together outside doing something. I personally think they are great fun. I just looked up the game you mentioned and it seems to have originated from your neck of the woods because of slate querries i believe. I do not know how to play but once again it looks a lot like horseshoes. I think that would be fun.

August 13, 2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

When I lived in Florida corn hole meant a completely different thing. Ewwwwwwww......

Now your version sounds like fun.

August 13, 2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger Keith Hillman said...

-so if your little bags of corn get wet, they presumably grow! Sounds like good wholesome fun!

My first trip to your site. I'll be coming back!

August 13, 2007 6:51 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Tony, I agree... the other kind of cornhole does not sound like fun at all. But I have enjoyed playing this. I look forward to putting the set together so I can have fun over Labor Day weekend.

Welcome Keith. Glad you enjoyed it. I am kind of in the middle of a low point at the moment but I will see what I can do to take care of that. I have something to talk about for tomorrow already. No fun but oh well. I hope you do come back and I will stop by as soon as I get a couple of things done. I have been naughty now I need to pay. Oh as to the corn, it just might grow. I know if you get them wet it is no good anymore. Hey, I wonder what happens if you put it into the microwave?

August 13, 2007 7:07 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I saw those recently at a craft show for $50. The bags were different colors.

I think that the drunker you get while playing, the better you get at it.

August 13, 2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign, no kidding. $50 sounds good. I have not seen these around anywhere up here but what do I know about looking for them.

I think I might agree on the drunker the better. Both days I played I had not been drinking and I did not do the best. Well except the second day that I played I actually started to do well. Then I discovered that I think I was throwing illegally. It figures. Maybe over Labor Day I can try it drinking and test the theory.

August 13, 2007 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home