Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, October 19, 2007

55Flash Fiction Friday

Sometimes people love me
Other times they despise me
Mostly people just ignore me
Last night people hung on my every word

I was center stage and all eyes were focused
Some were curious, others were in panic
Still others were ready to run and hide
For you see I am the local Weather person




Not my best 55 Flash Fiction Friday but I was inspired. Yesterday afternoon we were under a tornado watch (which I am a little pissed about) and we continued to have a very active evening in Mid Michigan. Super cells were coming up out of the South East all evening. Just when we could come off of a tornado watch we would come under another tornado warning that slipped back into a watch. I had my computer running tracking active radar and the storms in the area. I had the TV on to the local weather forecaster seeing what they were saying.

Luckily for me all we had was some rain, some thunder and a bit of wind. When I finally did decide to go to bed I noticed that the power did go out for a little while but it was not for all that long I do not think. Others were not so lucky. There were tornados spotted, several of them at least. With the light of day we will see what actually happened last night but the radar was seeing the classic hook you see when a tornado is forming. A local town, Williamston, was particularly hard hit. Trees are down and so are power lines. A gas line was ruptured. A semi-truck was blown off the Interstate. Schools are closed as the high school is being used as an emergency shelter and the Red Cross has set up a command post there.

I sure hope you had a much quieter night last night.

The above was a Flash Fiction 55. A group of us do them on Fridays. Won’t you join us. It really is fun. Click on the badge in my side bar to learn more. If you do post be sure to let Susie or G-man know so others can come and visit.

Oh by the way, up above I said I was a little pissed. You see I am part of the monitor network for the building I work in. Maybe I am a little weird but I really think when there is potential danger they should be alerting the monitors to the possible problems. I take my job seriously. I want to make sure people stay as safe as possible and a little warning really does go a long ways.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Labels:

22 Comments:
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Great 55! I can honestly say that weather people are the only "predicters" that get away with being wrong most of the time. If a fortune teller were wrong as many times as weather people, they would be out of business quick.

October 19, 2007 7:33 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Mike I so agree and it is funny. They say it will be in the mid to upper 70s. Partially sunny. I mean all of that says we will have some weather but it does not say much more than that. I can do that much!!! I wonder how much it pays?

October 19, 2007 7:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very accurate! With all of the storms running through here, the weather persons were on TV screens more than anyone or anything else.

October 19, 2007 8:54 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Nothing like stirring up a little panic to increase the ratings. They do it on an on going basis here, when there's any kind of tropical depression or more. I have learned to listen only upon imminent danger, and I'm discerning about that.
Good 55.

October 19, 2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

weathermen do scare you.
A few days ago we had a tsunami scare when an earthquake hit an Indonesian coast!

October 19, 2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger lime said...

seems to me the monitors shoudl know as well. since mangling my arm i am also of the opinion that all meteoroligists should have endured a bad bone break or arthritis since it is a better weather indicator than any computer model. so if there is anyone you feel needs a broken bone...just let me know...

October 19, 2007 10:59 AM  
Blogger snowelf said...

We somehow escaped the "bad weather", but I haven't seen the sun in a week!! Awesome 55! :)

--snow

October 19, 2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Bryan, this was great!
Ahh yes, weathermen! They can be wrong a lot and still kep their jobs!
I don't blame you for being pissed, you had every right!

October 19, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Flash said...

A great 55.

I hate weather people. I'm sure they don't know shit about what they're reporting on. I get my weather from underground weather.com, because it's a bunch of weather geeks doing their own surveillance.

But great 55. Mine's up too!

October 19, 2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger S said...

the weathermen here are always wrong. If I wanna know, I go outside and look at the sky. Sleeping outside helps, I always know what the sky is like..if there is gonna be a frost, or rain, or lots of stars or clouds in Northern Calif, just ask me, I always know....

Have a great weekend, Bryan!

October 19, 2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Bryan...This was fantastic..Last night the sirens were blareing all night...
Luckily it skipped right over!!
Have a great week-end brother!!

October 19, 2007 6:35 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

Oh Bryan...I thought that was a GREAT 55! Who woulda thunk?

October 19, 2007 7:38 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

I was so surprised that there were tornado warnings out but we didnt get any. We usually have one or two our selfs. We had lots of rain, but that was all. Good 55.

October 19, 2007 8:06 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

Awwwww...Bryan you are SUCH a sweetie!
xo

October 19, 2007 8:34 PM  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

I think that was actually a good one. I used to think weathermen had a dart board to predict the forecast..

October 20, 2007 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very creative 55 Bryan.
I hate when those storms and warnings come at night.
tc

October 20, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Vi said...

Hi there, I see you read little wing. You may be interested on reading my latest post I've just dedicated to her.

October 21, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

We missed all the excitement as we were camping in Northern Michigan. It was scary there, but we were oblivious as to how bad it really was.

Glad to hear that everything is ok for you.

October 21, 2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Jeez! At first I thought the pic was a brain and spinal cord. I guess it's a good thing I didn't choose to practice medicine.

Confessions on my blog.

October 22, 2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

It's Tuesday! Time for a new post.

October 23, 2007 9:03 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I agree with Manny :)

October 23, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger barman said...

OK, I finally posted. Not great but I did post... 8)

October 24, 2007 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home