Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I really should post something

so let's see …

No one is safe. You heard me, no one is safe. Well at least no one in North America. I am in the process of purchasing a GPS unit. Now I am pretty good with directions but there are times when it would be nice to have help. Since a lot of my trips are solo that usually means ahead of time I have to become familiar with a map and a route ahead of time and hope nothing changes. Then I have to hope I can read the map which can be tricky when you are driving especially when you get in a busy area. I had this very thing happen this year, I was heading down to Kentucky, a place I know pretty good, but I was going to a motel and to a church that I was not sure where I was going. I was coming in last minute so I could not afford to make a mistake. Luckily my friend contacted me and more or less guided me in to where I needed to go. On that return trip I was heading a different route so I could visit Crabby and Mr Crabby. I had planned it out and was not too bad. I got a couple of hints from Bob and found my way. But leaving and heading for home I was on roads I have never been on and it was dark and impossible to see the map. Well I need to make another trip that the GPS will come in handy for once again so I finally broke down and purchased one. I should see it on Wednesday. Wow how the prices have come down. I think in the long run I am really going to like this doohickey.

My Dad's birthday was nice, kind of low key but nice. Cake and ice cream and pizza. My Sister and her family were not there but they had visited Friday. They were missed. After the birthday thing I roped my brother into helping me mark the game boards (yes I brought them with me to work on them). We got that done and enjoyed the rest of the day. After they left I dragged my Dad into working on the game boards too. We taped up the boards and I painted the boarders of the boards. Might I say I was shocked about the paint? I had to paint white, yellow and scarlet. Now the yellow covered pretty good. The white was so so but with a second coat should be OK. The red, the one that I thought would do so great; it was like I have used nail polish. I could really see what was under the red. This was a problem as I had pencil marks as a guide around the hold I cut in the board and I had been sloppy and got some white paint on the board I was trying to cover. When it dried I say a decent scarlet color everywhere but when it was over the top of the white it was like the red was on FIRE. So I have since sanded that down and put down a primer coat over that area. This is so much fun.

Oh and one more thing. My Dad ran over the game boards. Well actually he ran over one of them. He has Alzheimer's and can forget easy and sometimes not make a wise choice. The 4 game boards were on the floor in the garage and caused him to park in a slightly different spot. The next morning when he went to pull out, he turned his wheel and backed into the U of M game board. Now that was not to bad because all it did was run some paint off but when I yelled stop he only paused and kept going. He pushed the game out of the way and made his way out. I was not happy. If he would have just listened and stopped I would have been OK but no. Oh well, no permanent damage that a little paint and TLC can not repair but my poor board!!!

I just found out I had a possibility to meet up with the wonderful Lime. Shucks, I missed out. I am sure it would have been wonderful. Oh well, maybe there will be a next time. I sure hope so.

Editors note: Opps, forgot one more thing you may actually find interesting. When I was painting my game boards my cell phone fell out of my pocket. My Dad grabbed it and cleaned off the paint for me. But then he decided to put it on top of his car so it would not be forgotten. I juts knew it was a bad idea. My Sister lost a cell phone that way before. Anyway fast forward to Sunday. We went out to the garage and he promptly ran over my one board (you knew that from above) but here is the rest of the story. My phone was still on the car. We hopped into the card and headed off to see a movie, the game plan. 2 hours later the movie was over (which I really liked except for the tear jurk effect) and we were out front of the theature talking. Something was said and I knew right away that my cell phone was on the car and probably had been lost or even broken. We went over to the car and there it was tucked neatly in the gutter of the roof. So not only did it not fall off in the 2 to 3 mile drive to get to the theature but it was not stolen sitting on top of the car for 2 hours. AMAZING. I got lucky for sure.
12 Comments:
Blogger jillie said...

HOLY CRAP! I'm actually first on someones blog!! Now I forgot what I was going to say...oh well. I'll just have to come back. Off to work...ugh! Party time is over...dammit!

;o)

October 16, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hey congrats Jillie. Anytime you want to be first come on over. You got a better chance here for sure. You will rememeber what you wanted to say. You are just on PDT ... Party Daylight Time. You get jet lag trying to come off that sucker. So are all people from Wisconsin this fun? Hope work went well.

October 16, 2007 2:32 PM  
Blogger lime said...

dang, that's a little scary for your dad to still be driving. glad no worse damage was done.

sorry to have missed you.

October 16, 2007 3:11 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Very scary to know your dad still drives.
I have a GPS system Bryan, I can transfer it from my car to my motorcycle and I love it!
It is so great for long trips where you have no idea where to go.
Tells me where motels are, gas stations, food, it amazes me how much info it actually holds!

Lucky for you on the cell phone!

October 16, 2007 4:55 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Your cell phone faired better than mine. I'm now on my 4th one since July. This time they upgraded it. Lucky for them or they might have suffered the SignGurl wrath.

Painting dark colors over white is tricky. We usually use a dark primer and then it still takes 2-3 coats to cover nicely. I can't wait to see the end results!

October 16, 2007 5:24 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime, for the most part my Mom is always with him when he is driving. He is not doing to bad with Alzheimer's now but I know what you mean. It worries me too.

Little Wing, yep I know. We will see where it goes. My Mom never was the driver but she can drive. She probably will need to take over at some point. So far they have done OK.

Your GPS is cool. Mine will not transfer over to a motorcycle. That is nice yours can do both. I have not used mine yet but I think it will do most of what yours does other than the bike friendly features. I am really going to like this.

Sign we will see. The phone works but I plan to replace it by the end of the year since my carrier is going all digital. I have no idea what I am getting yet. They are so lucky they took care of you. I know when you put your mind to it you will not let go until you get what you want. As to being on top of white I beat you to it. I got out my sander and sanded the spots down to primer. I am adding a coat of dark gray primer on those parts and starting all over on the red. I learned so much. Silly, silly me thinking it would be easy.

October 16, 2007 6:22 PM  
Blogger snowelf said...

Wow Bryan! That cell phone thing IS amazing! And at least your board is going to be okay. :)

--snow

October 16, 2007 6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That the cell phone was still there was amazing. Sorry about the game board. Happy belated b'day to your dad.

I have made may drives alone as you describe. On one of the first ones, I learned not to trust routing maps that I created on my computer. On my way from Louisville to Tucson, AZ, I encountered something that my reading of my map had not prepared me for: the State of New Mexico. Oops.

October 16, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Snow I am thankful for not losing the phone but I will be replacing it soon anyway. I hope between that and the came board that I did not use up all my good lick mojo.

Thank you Nick. I still can not believe the cell phone was still there. Amazing. I intend to be careful with the GPS. I realize that just because it says something is so does not mean it is. I intend to question things that just do not make sense. Interesting, a whole state was added. I think it missed by more than just a little bit.

October 16, 2007 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The GPS sounds cool Bryan, let us know how you like it. Is that a monthly service you have to sign up for and if so how much?

Amazing about your phone..
tell us the truth..is crabby as nutty and as sexy in person as she is on her blog? lol
tc

October 17, 2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger barman said...

TC, my parents got one and it was about $250. There are others that are much cheaper and still others that are over $1,000. Just basic GPS you do not pay a monthly fee. If the maps are updated however you probably pay a fee for that and there are add on services. For example in your neck of the woods you can get traffic service which basically tells you where there is problems with traffic and routes you around it. That service costs about $60 a year and works 2 places in Michigan and many other places in other states. I am sure there are other things you can add on also for a fee but nope, for the most part it is free once you buy the unit. By the way, I got a Garmin Nuvi 250. My parents have a Nuvi 299 and are very pleased with it.

I still can not believe the phone was not lost.

Crabby was being somewhat quiet, at least for her. I think she was giving Bob and I a chance to meet each other. I suspect that my return trip will reveal the true Crabby. She is a nut however and one of the most creative people I have ever seen. She so earns the title of Lucy as in lucille ball. I hope to get a chance to meet Fred and Ethal some day.

October 17, 2007 12:27 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

the one and only time I left mine on top of the car it fell off and broke. You were really lucky!

October 18, 2007 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home