Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Traffic Circles and GPS and Movies, oh my

OK, can I just say that Michigan is CRAZY? Today they opened a traffic circle they have been working on for about 2 months I believe. To bad, if it had opened one day sooner we could have had Lime come up and see it and drive on it (see here recap of her trip to texas here which included traffic circles). See a few nice pictures from the local new paper here.

Anyway here is the thing. They had this hour to hour and a half event planned. There were nice teams of horses pulling buckboards behind them with people piled in. There were a bunch of dignitaries everywhere. There were a bunch of people standing on the side of the road watching the "event". For heaven sakes people, this is a TRAFFIC CIRCLE. I mean I know traffic circles are not all that common in Michigan but for heaven sakes there is another one or two traffic circles on Michigan States campus not more than 15 to 20 minutes away. Now it looks nice but I think I would rather have seen the money and the effort concentrated elsewhere. Oh well. Hey Lime, if you are ever in mid Michigan some time do I have a traffic circle for you.



Today it arrived. I ordered a simple GPS. To be specific it is a Garmin Nuvi 250. Now I realized these things existed but they were kind of expensive and I did not think that were suppose to be all that good. Well things have changed. You can get a simple GPS for a bit over $100 and a not to bad simple unit (Nuvi 200) for about $250. Mine was a little more because it has not only maps of the contiguous 48 United States but it also includes all of North America. It has been a while since I have been to Canada but I would like to plan for that possibility.
I turned on the unit and almost immediately it ran out of power, figures. So I thought what can I do. I know, go see a movie and use the GPS unit to get me there. So I got to the car, mounted the unit and, without reading the manual, I was off. The first thing I did was ignore the unit. It said turn right in half a mile. Turn in 500 feet. Turn. I just kept driving on. Within about 3 or 4 seconds it had discovered I was being a jerk and ignored it so if said FINE, BE THAT WAY. It recalculated a new route and that one I did follow.

It was kind of fun watching the street names fly by. I had no idea what some of the streets were called until today. What it did not tell me is watch out for traffic. Don't speed past that police officer. Watch out for those kids. Stop for the red light. Yep, for something so smart it is pretty stupid.

So I "arrived" at the theater way ahead of time. I played with the unit a little bit then tucked it into a little cubbie hole and let it charge. To kill time I called my parents to let them know I stole their tape measure (oops), got the GPS unit, and a few other things. Then I walked into the theater. I went to see Mr Woodcock. Now I had no idea what I was going to see but this theater is fairly reasonably priced so I went anyway. It turns out the Billy Bob Thornton was in it. I like him. The movie was OK, possibly a 6 or a 7 out of 10, maybe a little more if anyone would like to bribe me.

Heading home I decided to be a real pain to the GPS unit. I decided instead of taking the semi highway, I would head down the back roads that more of less followed the river. It said turn right in 2 tenths of a mile, turn right, you moron, you were suppose to turn right. I turned left instead. A few seconds later it said OK jerk, be that way and turn left. Now go 3 1/2 miles and then turn right. Well guess what? The road was CLOSED TO THROUGH TRAFFIC. I can not catch a break.

Well in approaching the signs that said road closed, I saw another good size road I have never been on and decided to hang a right. A quick recalculate and the unit said proceed 1 mile and turn left. This time I listed to it. Then I got up to the road that I live somewhat near and ignored the unit once more. As far as I am concerned it made more sense to proceed a half mile and turn right. Recalculate and it said yep, go to the street a half mile ahead and turn right which I did. Then it said go forward a half mile and turn left then you have arrived.

When I got home I marked a favorite called Home that is where my house is located. I did some more playing with the unit and added a mark for Crabby's house and SignGurl's house and Top Cat's house. I had G-man's address somewhere but I have misplaced it. Oh and I looked up a few places to like Cheese Burger in Paradise (yummy) and a nice steak house and ... well I think I am going to love this thing.

Anyway for the $300 I paid (and no monthly fees), as long as it lasts for a while I will be happy with it. It sure is easy to use, it seems to be accurate and I think it will be useful once I get in a situation where I really need it.
6 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Traffic circle? For the most part, Americans are not good at navigating traffic circles. Some, who are overly aggressive (they remind me of German drivers), cut across lanes without regard for other vehicles. Others, who easily panic, do the same if they fear missing the road they want to take; either that, or they come to a stop in a lane and cause of pile up all around them. Then, of course, there are the passive drivers, who go around and around the damned circle until they run out of gas and thus cause a pile up just like those who panic. Few Americans are competent to navigate traffic circles.

How lone before you think you’ll be bored with your new GPS toy?

October 18, 2007 6:00 AM  
Blogger lime said...

well, i am now forewarned about the traffic circles in michigan! glad to hear your new gadget seems to work even if it is argumentative.

October 18, 2007 6:53 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Nick, this is a simple one. One lane wide, it replaces a four corner stop. Still I suspect it will not be long for the first traffic accident. As to the GPS I am playing with it now to understand how to use it. Afterwards I expect to use it as a tool when needed. I know for the most part it will just sit there and do nothing. But I will love it the next time I go visit Crabby or go somewhere new.

Lime, I think you could handle these suckers no problem. That thing really is pretty patient with me. I am just waiting for it to go on strike at the worst possible moment when I do something wrong. You know, man you missed another turn. That's it, I am not telling you how to get around Philadelphia... you are on your own!

October 18, 2007 7:17 AM  
Blogger snowelf said...

A traffic circle! I don't think I've been more excited since they finally put a traffic light up at our walmart! (Wait, that was actually exciting, that intersection sucked)

:D

Congrats on your GPS!

--snow

October 18, 2007 4:26 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Bryan how did I miss this post!
Isn't the GPS fun!
I will never get lost again with mine, I love it.
Oh and be sure and tell the voice thank you, I always do, lol!
I also tell her how smart she is, hey it never hurts!
Sometimes when mine is on but not reset, I make her crazy when I turn right instead of left! Then she tries to get me straightened back out by going around a block, lol.
So happy for you, if you do much overnight traveling you will love it! Just ask it for the nearest motel 6!!!!!!

October 19, 2007 12:09 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Snow it is funny. Sometimes things like that can be a real event. Heck our Keweenaw peninsula only has two lights the last I knew and I think they are blinkers. Ew, no that IS exciting! Right now I am doing silly things with the GPS but in a week we will be buds as I make a little trip. I think I am going to like it.

LW, I posted twice in a day. I kind of liked the joke so I thought I would pass it along too. You are so polite. I just feel bad when I ignore her. At the moment my unit talks to me in a British accent. I tried a foreign language but seeing as I really do not know a second language it was not much help. Ah Motel 6, got it. Do I get a mint on my pillow?

October 19, 2007 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home