Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Requiem

I had the hardest time getting myself all put together for this past weekend. I had a viewing/mass to attend for my friend, I had golfing with my Dad for a belated Father’s Day, I had a celebration of Father’s Day, I had photos I took of a wedding almost a year ago that I wanted to get out even though I really did not like they way they turned out... For one reason or another I just could not get moving. So that scratched going down on Thursday.

Friday morning and I am still going through the pictures and finally calling it complete. I then burnt 6 copies while getting myself ready. My shoelaces needed changing badly and, amazingly, I had a new pair to work with. Of course who had the time. I packed the clothes, the camera, the golf clubs, phone calls to my parents trying to coordinate as they wanted to attend the mass also...

Somehow I managed to get out the door mucho late but I did make it. I got my bearings and made a guesstimate of how long I thought it would take and called my parents. We were meeting near by at a place they knew how to get to and then going the rest of the way together.

Adjusting my speed here and there I actually made it to the meeting point a few minutes early so I could scope things out. When my parents arrived we got them parked and headed the rest of the way in.

The retirement home community was lovely and oh so quiet. It is funny, the guard at the gate asked if anyone needed to be let off closer. Normally that is not a question someone would ask but I suppose in a retirement community that makes sense. Anyway I let my parents off and parked the car.

The chapel was beautiful and much bigger than I was expecting. The first thing I saw was my friend and his family scattered about. The casket with Ruth in it was open for viewing, her husband was right next to her the whole time.

My friends was very touched my parents came. You see even though I have know Paul and his wife for over 30 years now, my parents had only met Ruth once and Joshua their Son and possibly Paul once. My Mom felt she really wanted to come seeing as how this was my best friends parent and also she was real impressed the one time she met Ruth.

The mass was a Requiem mass. Besides the organist that was part of the chapel we had lots of music. We had Ruth’s Sister who played violin. I later learned she was 93 years old and still teaching music students. She was amazing on the violin. There was her one daughter who played a fantastic Steinway, the same that Ruth had always played. Her husband, the choir director, sang several songs. Her three daughters played the violin, cello, and another stringed instrument that I just do not know the name of. My friends middle son, also a choir director, played the guitar and sang as did his daughter (also studying music). At one point my friend sang one hymn. It was just amazing who much music is part of that family.

The grieving was intense, especially just before the casket was closed. I know I probably should not have looked but I could not help it. I so wanted to be there with my friends to try and comfort them in what ever way possible but some things you just can not do.

The priest was had a thick accent and I worried I might have a hard time hearing what he had to say. My worries were for nothing as I heard his message that he kept putting forth. In the end I thought he did a wonderful job (I know that sounds bad but words escape me at the moment).

Afterwards there was a little luncheon and that was real good. Besides the food I think the part I liked the most is hearing all the people in the background sharing lovely stories with each other and with my friend about Ruth. I think that made the luncheon a huge success. Who could ask for anything more.

My friends Dad actually picked his head up a few times from being all slumped over and at one point I could see his lovely blue eyes. I really like my friends Dad but you know, I had no idea he had blue eyes. Anyway I was happy to see my friends Dad actually respond to some people. I can not even imagine how tough that must be to lose a spouse like that.

We talked with my friends for a while and eventually called it a day after I handed off the pictures I had been working on. I know, not the best timing but I also know I probably would not see them anymore over the weekend.

Over all I hate going to a viewing or a funeral. This was out together so wonderfully. I have to feel that Ruth was smiling down on everyone that day.

I will try and catch things up tomorrow on the rest of the weekend. Sorry this went on so long.
9 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

glad to hear you were able to attend and be a comfort to your friends. 93 and still teaching. god bless her. we should all be blessed with such longevity AND ability.

June 24, 2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger chica40208 said...

wow 93 and still a teacher thats awsome! sorry about your friend ruth god bless her family! i love your blog!

June 24, 2008 2:44 PM  
Blogger chica40208 said...

wow 93 and still a teacher thats awsome! sorry about your friend ruth god bless her family! i love your blog!

June 24, 2008 2:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You did have a hectic weekend, Bryan! It sounds as if you made it through OK.

Each time I have developed a liturgy and sermon for a funeral, I remind myself that funerals are for the benefit of the living, not the deceased. A funeral can gently aid in helping one into the process of grieving.

Blessings, my friend.

June 24, 2008 3:17 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Not being able to comfort your friends had to be hard, probably one of the worst feelings you have had. I'm glad you got to be there for them.

June 25, 2008 7:51 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

May God rest her soul in peace!

It must really be hard to lose a spouse!

I came to check in your Friday 55 & see that you have not posted for long

I hope all is well with you!

Its your birthday on the 3rd. I may be out of town that day, so I thought I might as well wish you in advance

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU BRYAN !

June 29, 2008 1:14 PM  
Blogger snowelf said...

Bryan,

Wow, what an amazing soul she must have been!! I never feel like a funeral is an easy thing to attend, but I know it really can be a nice thing to be with all of the people you love remembering the good things about the person you love. The most personal funeral I've ever been to was my grandpa's and he was a volunteer at our church his entire life, so the pastor knew him well and that was actually really comforting.

Have a wonderful birthday! :)

--snow

June 29, 2008 6:40 PM  
Blogger S said...

Sorry to hear about your friend and I am glad you got to attend.

June 30, 2008 9:59 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime I so hear you. I look forward to visiting with my friends. It just feels so right.

Thank you chica40208. My blog has run out of gas lately and I have run out of time but I am trying to make a come back.

Nick you are so right. As I was listening to the sermon I kept noticing him do that. He was trying to comfort people and aid them in the grieving. It is the first time I really noticed that. Maybe I was just ready to hear that. Thank you Nick.

Sign it did feel bad and even worse when their youngest Son really had a hard time with it. He had his wife and his siblings with him but still... I am glad things went well over all for them.

Mona I am not looking forward to losing a parent. I can not imagine losing a spouse. It has to be so hard. I have not posted because I have been swamped with things and a little run out of things to say ... I am trying however. I will do a 55 next week but it may be a day early as I will be out of town over the weekend. Thank you very much for the birthday wishes but ... my birthday is on the 1st. Thank you so much for remembering and for the well wishes.

Snowelf, for some reason that was the first funeral mass that ever really hit home. I can not explain it. Maybe I am growing up. Thank you Snow, it means a lot.

Suzie, wonderful to see you and thanks so much. I have for a long time felt like I wanted to be there for them helping out where ever I could to ease things for them. I really was not able to do that when her Mom passed or when his Mom just passed but somehow it just felt right being there. *hugs* to you Suzie and thanks.

June 30, 2008 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home