Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

How old is to old?

I am a weird duck, I know that. I have these things that I believe in that I pretty much will not break. Sometimes I think it is a good thing, other times I think it is just silly. Here is one of my more silly things.

When I was in High School I remember liking girls that was in my class... fine. When I became a senior I found myself liking this freshman. But how could I do that? I mean she was a whole 3 years younger than me. So I never did anything with that which was probably for the best. Fast forward a few years and things continue to be the same.

A little after I turned 40 I noticed things changed a little but you know what, no matter how much things change, sometimes they just do not really change. I noticed that now when I became interested in someone they were typically 9 years younger than me. Again I have had such a hard time with that. That just seems like so many years difference. Of course it does not help that the handful of times I tried to get something going with someone it never really happened.

I found out yesterday that one of these two sisters, twins I believe, that work for the same organization I work for had been married back in May. She was 25, he was 42.. They are 17 years difference in age. I was a little surprised. I guess that would be a hard thing for me to do.

What about you, what do you think? Does age matter? Is there a such thing as to old (or to young) for someone? Or am I just weird? OK, never mind that. We all know I am weird.
8 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...

I think age is but a number. I know, cliche, right? But, look at my partner and myself---she is 10 years older than me. She looks YOUNGER. Either I'm mature or she's way immature, ha, but we get along really well. We always have. In fact, I was 20 and she was 30 when we met. That's a HUGE difference at 'that time', you know?

I think it depends on the maturity level and where you two are.

Sometimes I think, well when I'm 60 she'll be 70 and hopefully in 'good shape' mind, body and spirit. That's the only thing that scares me...but what saves that fear is that her mom, at the age of 60 is HOT. No lie. She is gorgeous and very active- more than a 30 yr old!

Gives me hope!

August 27, 2008 9:45 AM  
Blogger lime said...

before i was married i dated guys who were 10 and 12 years older than me. it just depends on the couple.

August 27, 2008 10:19 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

age doesn't matter so much as compatibility. you could be 40 dating a 40 yr old who has not grown up or dating a 20-something yr old who is far more mature than the 40 yr old. my ex husband is almost 7 yrs younger than me. he is the youngest i've ever dated w my range being bt 2-4 yrs younger or being o.k. w dating someone 10 yrs older.

so, i agree w deb-depends on maturity level.

and here's the other thing: it's whatever you feel comfortable with. it's also how that person makes you feel when you're with them. if they make you feel good, don't sabotage it by thinking about the age.

August 27, 2008 12:03 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

IMO, age is but a number and maturity level has nothing to do with it. It goes way beyond that. Do you have the same kind of sense of humor? Like to do the same kind of things, the same music, same food, things like that. I also think one of the most important things is that you are sexually compatible. If you aren't compatible in bed, then it doesn't work. For example, if one person wants sex often and the other person can take it or leave it, it just won't work, period. I don't care how many things you have in common.

Just my 2-cents.

August 27, 2008 5:37 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

It can matter.

and then again it doesn't have to.

I think it just depends on each situation and the people involoved.

August 28, 2008 6:44 AM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

I think it's only natural to be attracted to more younger people as we age, perhaps because there are more of them around. But maturity is the thing. For me, I have married a woman 2 years older than me and another 2 years younger. Not much in years, but what counts is whether you can have an intelligent conversation and enjoy being together. I'd not have the energy for someone much below 40 these days. Staying up past nine-thirty qualifies as a late night.

August 28, 2008 4:29 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I used to think age didn't matter. My aunt married someone that is exactly 19 years older than her (they share a birthday). In the beginning, they were quite compatible. Now, he's 75 and has the mind and body of a 90 year old and she's 54 and young and hot. It breaks my heart to watch her struggle with what is next for them. I know that she never dreamed life would end up like this for them. So, it does matter.

August 29, 2008 8:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bryan, age doesn’t matter and it never has! For example, of the 200+ weddings that I officiated—I use that term because too many folks don’t know what I’m saying when I speak of “marrying them”—here are a few of the age spans I can recall off the top of my head:

He was 49/she was 31

She was 44/he was 28

She was 35/he was 27

He was 62/she was 40

OK?

September 01, 2008 1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home