Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, August 15, 2008

55Flash Fiction Friday

In his mind he’s still 18 or maybe 20 something
But his body rudely reminds him of reality.

What used to be no big deal is now a major chore.
Funny, when did they start sealing those jars so tight?
And when did that type become so darn small?

It can’t be I’m getting old.


That was a 55Flash Fiction Friday. If you would like to give it an attempt go visit G-Man. I am sure he can fill you in. Basically you are coming up with a story in 55 words. It has at least one character and a plot and away you go. Some people do absolutely incredible things with their 55. Anyway you post that baby up Friday, hopefully early and go visit G-Man to let him know so he can make the rounds and so can everyone else.


Oh my goodness. Sometimes I feel like I am so old. Take yesterday for instance. When I got home from work I went outside and spent the next 3 hours sitting on my driveway. Sitting because there was no was I could stand that entire time bent over working on the driveway. I was pulling all the weeds out of the cracks in the cement trying to get ready to caulk the cracks.

When I was done fussing with the weeds I went to get up. I was crippled. My hips both were killing me. Getting up was a chore. Heck even walking was a chore. I know I have seen 80 or 90 year olds that are in better shape. I could not get comfortable when I came inside and decided to go to sleep early but no, I had to watch Women’s Beach Volleyball and of course Swimming and Gymnastics.

I was dog tired when I went to bed, so tired in fact that I started to shiver. When I get over tired like that I have learned that if I put my head under the covers for a little while the shivers go right away. Of course than, after the shivers went away I found it difficult to get comfortable from the aches of my grueling 3 hours sitting down outside. This morning I still feel it, just not as bad.

So when did I get old? Heck, who am I kidding? Look at my High School Senior picture from yesterday and then look at my Profile Picture from about 3 years ago. It has been a few years for sure. Now not that I am complaining. I just need to wrap my mind around it. Well that and if I could just take off come of the weight and work on a bit more I know that would help tons. But getting motivated is sometimes a chore in itself hence all the weeding I am having to do.

So what can I do to feel young again? I know G-Man seemed to be energized by his reunion he just came back from but mine is not for some time. There is camping over labor day. The theme this year is Toga, I hope I look OK in a sheet. The food theme this year is Greek. Say now that is something I can do. I need to figure out what Greek dishes I am going to learn how to do, hopefully something I will not poison everyone with. I know Greek salad could not be that bad and I would love to give avgolemono (Greek Egg-Lemon soup) a try. It sounds like baklava is a bit of work but if I could pull that off I know it would be a hit. Yes, a little cooking might just get my mind off of getting older.

Gee, do Greeks like to drink? Maybe I need to get some wine for this weekend... Speaking of weekends, everyone have a wonderful weekend as we all know we live for our weekends.

Labels:

13 Comments:
Blogger G-Man said...

Take a bottle of Ouzo and call it good!
I'm sure you will be the hit of the party..
Excellent 55 Bryan!
Thanks for playing, and have a Great Week-End....G

August 15, 2008 7:25 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

Man can I ever relate to this one! The jar lids haven't beat me yet, but if I sit still for too long at a stretch my knees come up with all kinds of abuses to heap on my parentage! and yeah, I worry that my arms are getting too short for me to read anymore. Humbling isn't it?
Nice job!
Mine's up too
- Mojo

August 15, 2008 7:25 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

You shocked your body by putting all that stress on it from the concrete. That will kill ya.

As for the toga, make sure to wear your Superman underwear :)

August 15, 2008 8:02 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

I hope you are taking enough calcium. Sometimes calcium deficiency gives joint pain!

August 15, 2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

You know... Even at 26.. Yes I had a birthday on the 8th, I also am feeling the affects of getting older.. Like wanting to sleep all day and finding that I cant eat quite as mush junk food as I want.. Its starting to show a little more..

LOVE YA!

August 15, 2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

My favorite is Balkva(sp?) but then I like the gyro to. Yum

August 15, 2008 9:48 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

great 55! mine is up, too...you know, i have been feeling old for the past 9+ years when all my thyroid issues started happening. i hate that i can't bend over to touch my toes and i would be sitting on the concrete just like you! lol my husband thought i wasn't really weak until we tried arm wrestling...he wondered when i was going to start until i let him know that i already was. needless to say, he was surprised. why can't ppl believe you when you tell them your weak in the first place? LOL

August 15, 2008 11:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bryan, that one hits me right between the eyes!

August 15, 2008 4:03 PM  
Blogger S said...

When I turned 40 I needed glasses!
When I turned 45 I needed ben-gay!
What will I need when I turn 50?
Not a wheelchair or a coffin, I hope!
Now Bryan, one thing I have a lot of problems with obviously is remembering if it's Saturday or Monday! Just kiddin, you know I'm just a rebel and it will be Monday two days early on my blog if'n I want it to be!
I am the boss, you know.
Now, cutting out patterns is one thing that kills me...because I have always done it on the floor, crawling around or kneeling. I have never used a table, but the next day, after a "cutting session", my butt hips and butt hurts a lot from those poses....
I am a big fan of motrin! He he!
I think I'm older than you are, just wait! He he!
I thought losing weight would help but now I just don't have as much padding for when I stumble, smash into walls, trip or just well, sit on the driveway pulling weeds!
Here's to getting better, NOT older!

August 16, 2008 5:05 PM  
Blogger S said...

Oh look, I have two butts up there! :P

August 16, 2008 5:07 PM  
Blogger lime said...

did i hear mention of greek food? i suddenly feel young again. mmmmm.... avgolemono is a bit tricky because of trying not to curdle the egg in the soup. spanakopita and baklava are fab. the filo can be a pain in the butt to work with but oh so yummy results. if youwant to do with booze, get yourself either some ouzo, retsina, or metaxa.

August 17, 2008 8:18 PM  
Blogger lime said...

oh, and sorry i got distracted by mention of the greek food. fun picture in the post below. thanks!

August 17, 2008 8:21 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

I've always wanted to to go a toga party

August 18, 2008 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home