Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mama Mia/Slice of Barman

The other day I went to see a movie, Mama Mia. I know, chick flick big time but I can do chick flicks as long as they don’t go all romance novel on me. It is also a musical and what can I say, I love musicals. Now they are strange, standing right next to someone and you want to say something to them so what do you do? Why break out in song and dance of course.

Anyway part way through I found my self bopping to the songs and generally just having a great old time. Yep I was really into the show. Even my theater that, does not have the best sound in the world, and has a small screen was working for me and then it happened.

Here I was having a wonderful time to DISCO music. Back in the late 70's/early 80's I could not stand disco music. It seemed so mindless. It had a heavy beat so you could dance to it and all it did was give me a headache. I even joined a group that was basically for fun, but I still joined. It was called D.R.E.A.D. which stood for Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco. I still have my card kicking around somewhere I suspect. I did find a picture of one from the Internet so let me share that here.




Anyway we were sworn to appose disco. Here I was going against what all the group stood for. OK, so that group was a long time ago and you know what, I like disco a whole lot more than some of the stuff that is considered music these days. So I guess it is not all that bad but ... IT WAS DISCO ... IT WAS HORRIBLE. (I had to do that in case anyone was looking)

Anyway this movie is not for everyone. Most men folk should run away and some women folk along with them. But if you enjoy musicals, if you like disco, if you like chick flicks... I think it is a pretty good movie.

Luckily tomorrow is Friday so I will do a 55 Flash Fiction Friday and not bore you with my exciting evening yesterday, affixing address labels to a mailing this non profit group is trying to send out. Fun stuff here...

Oh and in honoring something I saw over at Limes ... here is my High School senior picture for a slice of Barman.

Barman
6 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Such a handsome young man!

Back in the ‘70s my supervisor was a Disco junkie, taking dancing lessons, entering contests, dancing all night. He wanted the rest of us county social work supervisors to join him in his, uh, “hobby.” I developed a real abhorrence of Disco music in those days.

August 14, 2008 10:25 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

i LOVED mamma mia...went w my girls. more fun when you go w girls LOL they're 11 & 9 and now they love ABBA songs!

ha adorable pic. i should put mine up sometime for a good laugh. :)

August 14, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger S said...

Wowee! Your high school picture! I see you were young enough to squeak past the poly/leisure suits of the 70's thank goodness!

6'1" ...Bryan you are a full foot taller than I am....that is just not fair!

August 14, 2008 1:49 PM  
Blogger ell said...

nice pic barman!

August 14, 2008 2:03 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Very handsome pic, B!

I love Abba too, but not enough to go watch a musical. :)

August 15, 2008 8:04 AM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Holy cow, Bryan, who is that guy in the photo? I can see the resemblance, but can it really be you? Of course, I would never post anything like that of me on the net. Very brave of you.

People at the office seen it yet?

I know you've always liked musicals, but I thought you were dedicated to the Music Man.

John

August 15, 2008 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home