Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, October 16, 2008

55Flash Fiction Friday (Part 3 - Conclusion)

and now the conclusion...

At long last someone comes
and places a load in the washer
next to yours. But then
they do something unexpected.

They stop the dryer and
snatch one of your panties
and quickly turn to leave.

At long last you caught
the panty thief.
But much to your surprise,
it’s your
next door neighbor Heather.


OK, sorry to drag this on for so long and sorry if it offended you. It was just something that kind of slipped into my mind and I just knew it had to have a twist. I won't head this direction again, promise.


I had one of the most unique experiences. I think it is part of what I love about Mom and Pop operations. Yesterday I went to see a movie at my local cheap movie house. Half way through the two hour movie the movie projector broke down. We spent the next 40 minutes as at first one of the workers tried to get the film back where it belonged. Then she called in the big dogs and they made their attempt until they finally said this will be a while.

The whole time we were getting the occasional information, always on the positive side but never right. Occasionally the projector would come on and we would get maybe 10 to 20 seconds of the movie and all of a sudden it would go in slow motion and finally come to a stop. One of the comments once was, "well we did not melt the film". Great confidence builder I tell you.

At one point I ended up talking with the guy across the isle from me. Short nothing much sentences. Then after a while the last presidential debate came up as it was just about to start. Then we talked a little about politics. Now that and religion are things I generally never talk to someone about. I mean I have opinions and all but I also know these topics can be get pretty heated. But it was refreshing to talk a little politics, even if it was guarded. I was rather surprised when he mentioned Ralph Nader was looking better all the time, something I had thought about a month ago. Anyway after talking a little while it was time to go but not before I learned that he knew the owners.

When I went out into the lobby the person was friendly enough and was offering a pass for a future movie or your money back if you wanted. I figured I was not giving up on my little Mom and Pop theater that easy. Besides, the last thing they need is people taking their money back and just splitting. So I talked a little with the person giving out the pass and son of a gun if the pass did not turn into two passes. All I was hoping for was one pass so I could see the movie again today so ... bonus.

Today when I showed up the person (one of the owners family) remembered me and said good, you are back. It is kind of fun to be somebody. We said a few more words but I was just barely on time to see the movie. One thing she did mention however, they were working on the projector until 3:30 am. I am glad they were able to get it.

When the movie was over I discovered that the guy that was sitting a few seats away was the same guy from the night before. He made a comment about how when we got to the point where all the problems had happened he noticed the film kind of jumped and he was worried we may lose the projector again. Funny, I was worried the same thing. We said a few more words and then headed off in our own direction. I still have no idea who that masked man is but next time, should there be a next time, I will be sure to introduce myself. Now tell me, when was the last time you had anything as exciting happen at a movie.


I have this fun little thing I do when ever I go to movies. Usually on my return trip home I take this fun little road. It is kind of a country road only it is black top. It winds, it has gentle rolling hills, it has fun turns, it has a traffic circle (well that is just OK), and it runs along a little river. The houses are back off the road a little which helps lend to the country feeling.

As I am flying down the road having to keep flipping my brights off out of courtesy for the on coming car only to turn them back on it hit me. I love this little road and this is not the first road like this that I enjoyed either. I have another road the runs between Ann Arbor and Dexter that I really love too and it has nothing to do with the fact that I took that road to go get a keg on more than one occasion. It turns out that road is very similar to my little road I was on tonight. There are a few less trees, a little more country, and you can actually get right down to the water in several places but as a whole they are much the same kinda road. So now I sound like a weirdo collecting favorite roads but I can not help it, it just is a fun thing to do for me. I guess I am just easily amused.

UPDATE: Oh my, I reread this last part of the post and you can tell I was falling asleep when I wrote it. I did a little patching to make it at least half way readable. Sorry 'bout that chief.

Labels:

8 Comments:
Blogger Mona said...

Whew! thank God it was only Heather, rather than some sicko!

October 17, 2008 8:07 AM  
Blogger lime said...

i am all for supporting mom and pop operations. they are the sort of places that provide personal service and enhance a community rather than some big faceless chain place.

being easily amused is not a bad thing at all.

October 17, 2008 9:28 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I would not do that to you Mona.

Lime I know, I love the flavor of the Mom and Pops and I would hate to see them go away.

October 17, 2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

Hey Bryan... you got Heather's number?? She sounds like my kinda people!

October 17, 2008 10:52 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

oh, my, that heather has some sort of weird fetish. hehe cute, bryan :)

mom & pop shops are totally cool..we definitely gotta support the underdogs, right? :)

i'm finally up!

October 17, 2008 11:50 AM  
Blogger barman said...

You know Mojo, I asked for her number. She took one look and walked away... sorry, you are on your own. LOL

Ciara, hey the young ladies now a days are not always all the innocent. Of course guys still corner the market on that mostly. Mom and Pops are super. I do try to support for sure.

October 17, 2008 2:01 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

I hope those panties weren't yours!
Get some sleep...
Thanks for playing Bryan, and have a Great Week-End.
I don't think that we will be too happy Saturday Night...I hope I'm wrong....G

October 18, 2008 8:02 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Nice twist, Bryan! I wasn't expecting that.

October 18, 2008 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home