Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, October 20, 2008

Q and J

I know I am late with a post today so I thought I would post two things. The first one is a question then how about a blonde joke just for good measure ... and no I am not picking on you Sign, honest.

My question

Having been around for a lot of years I have noticed something I think interesting. When I was growing up there was not this big credit card thing. Yes you could get them. One of the big things to do was get a Sears and Robuck credit card and they were hard to get. If you were lucky they may give you a $400 limit on a card. Then again it was more likely you would get rejected. Sears was a great place to start building credit.

So what did you do without a credit card? Well back 30, 35 years ago what you did was used layaway. I would take your item or itemes to the layaway department and then you would leave it with them after paying a certain amount down on the item. Then in a few months you would pay off the layaway item(s) and you would finally take them home with you. Putting things on credit was not the norm at all.

So fast forward many, many years and what do you see? Layaway, what is layaway, everything goes on credit. You get to take things home right now after all we all expect instant gratification.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and what do I see, people talking about layaway once again. An then over the weekend I saw a commercial for KMart and it mentioned layaway too. I do not know if this is the credit crunch or what but I was amused when I saw this happening. So is it just me or have you noticed that also?


The Blonde Joke

A guy took his blonde girl friend to her first footballgame. They had great seats right behind their team’s bench.After the game, he asked her how she liked the experience.

“Oh, I really liked it,” she replied,” especially the cuteguys with all the big muscles; but I just couldn’tunderstand why they were killing each other over 25 cents.”

Dumbfounded, her date asked, “What do you mean?”

“Well, I saw them flip a coin and one team got it and thenfor the rest of the game, all they kept screaming was:

‘Get the quarterback! Get the quarterback!’

Helloooo? It’s only 25 cents!”
8 Comments:
Blogger ell said...

oh yeah, definitely remember the layaway. chipping away at the balance week after week and the thrill of finally taking your treasure home.

good times, good times.

October 20, 2008 3:25 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

You know, I paid off all my credit cards several years ago and I've never gotten another one.

I have no desire to have one.

October 20, 2008 3:35 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Ell, I never bought on layaway but I can see where that would be nice to accomplish.

KJ, good for you but you almost have to have a credit card. The trick is not to use it. Now a days everyone seems to want you to have one. Reserve a room or a car or a plane, etc. and they want it. Of course you could use a debit card like I usually do instead. Now if only I could get my one card payed off... Hopefully within 2 years.

October 20, 2008 3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I remember lay away well. I purchased my first piece of fine art that way about 30 years ago. It was in the window of a shop a block or so from my office. Each time I passed the shop I would stop and stare at it. Then one day one of the social workers I supervised suggested I place it on lay away. I did and I have it on the wall behind me now.

October 20, 2008 5:54 PM  
Blogger lime said...

i know locally we are already seeing more information about the local soup kitchens. bad times...

as for the blonde...i am only a step or two ahead of her in understanding football, but i am trying for the sake of my son.

October 21, 2008 9:56 AM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Come to think of it, Sears may have been my first credit card. I still have one but never use it.
Layaway should come back, if you can't afford it, you don't need it!

October 21, 2008 10:47 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

That was the best Joke I've ever heard!!!! Still LMAO!

Ok as for Layaway here in MN I only know of K-mart that does that. Most of the other stores if you dont have cash or credit FORGET IT! I wont have a credit card again because I did that once and got myself into trouble big time...So once we paid that off we said no more, if we dont have the cash to buy it then I guess we dont need it. But here we have thrift shops- savers- goodwill-and ARC and if your watching you can really get some good things cheap. I never thought I'd see the day I'd be shopping in thrift stores but hey that's almost as good as regular stores just not the big price tags. and with money being tight these days for everyone it's a smart move for some of us.

October 21, 2008 4:42 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

Oh I forgot My dad had a sears card and we only got to look at it.I'm not sure why he ever applied because he never took it out of his wallet. We had one back in 99 but havent used it since so I suppose its no good any more lol not that I want to use it but you know good credit is hard to come by when you've had bad.

October 21, 2008 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home