Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

This One Time ... at Band Camp ...

I really did go to band camp when I was in high school. It was definitely a fun time. But I am not really sure I can use the phrase, this one time, in band camp. Here is why.

I must have lead a sheltered life for sure. In my senior year at band camp I became the senior guys cabin project. What was the project. No matter what they did I just would not swear. It took forever but let me tell you, all their hard work payed off. They would be proud now a days I tell you. Actually I am not that bad but I am not at all like I once was.

One thing that was mentioned kind of in passing was the trails. From what I gather that is where a lot of the “action” happened at band camp. Now not only did I never see any of this “action”, I also never even saw the trails.

There were the romances that were going on. That was nothing new. It was not uncommon for the band geeks to be involved with each other as we all became a pretty close nit group and spent a lot of time together. Of course for me it was the crushes rather than the romances. The person I set my sights on just was never meant to be. Someone else that I ended up liking I never did anything about it. I mean here I was a senior and she was a freshman. That is 3 years difference in age. Now a days I look and that and think how trivial that would be now.

You always heard about cabins sneaking out at night and doing something. The one year that I actually joined the fray we were busted. Not because we were caught but because they just knew we were out of the cabin. We were sent home and for what? Well more might have went on then I realized but there you go again.

Now don’t get me wrong. There was a lot of band things going on too and I have good memories from that. Marching for hours in the sun (ugg), learning new dance routines, challenges, sectionals. Beyond that there was teams and softball, touch football, swimming in the lake, skits at night, tug of war, kitchen duty, keeping the eating area clean, revelry in the morning that often times saw some underwear or possibly bra and panties up the pole from the night before, lots of practical jokes, very mild hazing for the incoming freshman. Yes it was fun times and I remember them fondly. I just an not sure that I have earned the right to use the phrase however.


Sex can lead to nasty things like herpes, gonorrhea, and something called relationships. --Da Ali G Show
6 Comments:
Blogger GAB said...

Well for you the phrase"this one time at band camp...." can mean different things that you and only you could know. So use it! I sure cant...I wasnt in band

October 03, 2006 12:05 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

I went to band camp for 4 years..

I choose not to comment any furthur

October 03, 2006 1:45 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Bryan, I just knew there was a reason why I regretted never learning an instrument.

I think band camp would have been good. ;)

October 03, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Gab, abnd camp was fun but I get the feeling it was a lot more than than I will ever know.

Roxi, spill! Well OK, I will just use my imagination. I am sure I will not be to far off. I get the feeling that was good shit for sure.

Suze you could have taken up flute ... or was that skin flute, I forget.

October 03, 2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Our band camp was at the school behind the band room. Very tame and boring. I'm jealous.

October 03, 2006 6:54 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign, ours was in Lapeer which was about 60 or so miles away. It was for 5 or 6 days (and nights) and yes, I think it might have been just a little more fun.

October 03, 2006 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home