Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Music Matters

I had a bitch post all typed up and, deep down inside I just did not want to post it. It was about the gas prices. They did something I have never seen happen before. The prices went up 29 cents and within a short time dropped 7 cents. Strange. Anyway lets head in a different direction.

Over the weekend I listed to a CD that came with a DVD set I got for Christmas 2005. Hey sometimes it takes me a while to open my presents, what can I say? The set was Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire Live at the Greek Theater. This CD was an interview with one person from Chicago and two people from EWF. It was a nice mix between music that Chicago did, EWF did and combination of each group did together. They also had a certain amount of interviewing going on. I really loved it and it is what is playing in my car.

Chicago has been my all time favorite band. I remember listening to them back in the early 70s and seeing them in two concerts. Now that is saying a lot as I am not a concert type of person. EWF on the other hand was a group that was never on my radar. I mean I heard songs they did but I had no idea it was them. I could not tell you anything that was their song.

Well I fired up old MusicMatch and listened to song after song of Earth Wind and Fire on Monday and I have to tell you I really enjoy them as well. I can see a CD or two in my future.

While I was growing up I had other groups I loved to listen to. Boston, Kansas, Joe Jackson, ELO, Eagles, Elton John, Foreigner, Bob Seger, Jethro Tull, Olivia Newton John, Pat Benatar, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Queen, Styx, Eric Carmen, Bruce Springsteen. I know there are others I missed but that is it, basically a who’s who of the easier side of rock of the 70s. I am excited I actually get a chance to see Peter Frampton. He is coming to common ground, an awesome festival put on in July in Lansing Michigan for 8 days this year. I love it. I have so many good memories from songs off of Frampton Comes Alive as well as newer albums. "Weird" Al Yankovic is also there one night. That should be fun. The Guess Who is also there. That will be fun for me as I know the name but really did not listen to them. I know there were we lots of songs that I will enjoy. By the way, even though this is an eighth annual event, don’t tell anyone but I am still a virgin. I look forward to busting that cherry.

If you should find yourself anywhere near the Lansing area July 9th to the 15th consider stopping by. I know it is always a hit every year. Follow the link in the above paragraph for more information.

So what about you, do you have any favorite groups that bring back great (or even bad I suppose) memories? How about sharing. Who knows, maybe I will discover a whole new music interest. I mean I actually do listen to a little country, love Celtic Folk, Disco (he said out of the side of his mouth) and much more. Just about everything but rap, especially certain forms of rap.

Go ahead, Hit Me With Your Best Shot!


Exqueese me? Have I seen this one before? "Frampton Comes Alive"? Everybody in the world has Frampton Comes Alive. If you lived in the suburbs you were issued it. It came in the mail with samples of "Tide". –Wayne’s World 2

Labels:

22 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

In my old age, I have discovered The Brothers Johnson. Remember Strawberry Letters? Stomp? There's several more you might remember from the seventies. I have satellite radio and was re introduced to them. Brought back my childhood.

ELO is one of my favorite groups.

April 12, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

P.S. I broke my blog and was wondering if you could email me the code for the Michigan Blogger Button.

April 12, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign I sent you the code through email.

Oh yes, Strawberry Letter number 23 I think and then Stomp... yep. I can not wait to get home tonight and listen to some of their songs. I hope my service has them...

April 12, 2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger Denny Shane said...

Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers, Ritchie Valens, Big Bopper, ok, ok, I've said way too much already!

April 12, 2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Denny, I recognize the last two. Somehow I do not think MusicMatch will have them but I am going to try. I love music from that time frame too... the birth of rock and roll.

April 12, 2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger tkkerouac said...

Fleetwood Mac,Boston,Lou Reed,Rolling Stones,David Bowie,and here is a secret, I listen to old Glen Campbell CDs when I'm driving.

April 12, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Well, The Doors bring back an embarrassing memory so scratch them. The Beatles absolutely. I had such a crush on Ringo. LOL! Don't laugh but Herman and Hermits was a biggie for me. My friend and I went to the fair to see them one year and as soon as they opened the gates the people ran in like a heard of bulls. I'm ashamed to say my friend got trampled and I kept running to get to the front of the stage. She pulled a huge chunk of my hair out later and kept it on the wall in her room like some kinda voodoo hootchie or something. LOL!

April 12, 2007 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great you will finally get to see Peter Frampton Bryan.
I like a lot of the groups you mentioned and I wrote about my first Genesis concert with Peter Gabriel at EMU sometime back on g-mans blog so I won't repeat it.
I'd love to go see Genesis when they come to the Palace in September but I just can't handle crowds like that anymore.
tc

April 12, 2007 2:43 PM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

oh man..Boston, REO, Fleetwood Mac and best of all the Doobies!!! Brings back memories just thinking about them all and yes I like Kansas too. Sounds like fun in lansing...too bad I don't live around there.

April 12, 2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger S said...

Yes, Kraftwerk, Queen, Rolling Stones, Bowie, Elton John, Blondie, and well high school in the 70s had to include, Kansas, Boston, Aerosmith, The Bee Gees, Earth Wind and Fire, I could go on all day.....

I think I saw Yes in concert the most in high school. In college I saw Bonnie Raitt the most. Later, it was the Grateful Dead. Then, Tori.
Now, I would crawl across razor blades to see Leonard Cohen perform, and Rufus Wainwright is way up there.

April 12, 2007 7:29 PM  
Blogger SIMPLY ME said...

Peter Noone from Hermans Hermits is in town this month....Ahhh I remember swinging and singing "Mrs. Brown you've got a lovely daughter"...................

April 12, 2007 7:49 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Counting Crows and guiniwen. I may have mispelled the latter.

April 12, 2007 7:51 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thanks everyone. So far I have listed to a pile of Brothers Johnson and currently in ELO and moving. This is turning out to be a most enjoyable evening.

TK, not sure how I would do with Glenn Cambell but tonight is a night to be open minded. Can't wait.

Crabbs, ah the Doors... that will be fun. I suspect the Beatles are not online from something I saw in the news earlier today. I just might have to dig out ... gasp ... vinyl for that one. I sue hope they have some Herman and Hermits. I remember them and know I like them but do not remember any songs. Hey did you get the voodoo hochie back. If not that might explain what happened to you this week.

TC I am so looking forward to it. My plan is to take a lot of candid crowd shots during common ground but I think I will have to see how close I can get to the stage for Frampton. You know I am familar with both Genesis and Peter Gabriel but not with their work. Oh boy, more fun.

April 12, 2007 8:09 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Jan, maybe one of these years you can visit and stay with your Daughter. It is a bit of a drive but ... I can not wait to see who else they are adding to the lineup. You can tell we are about the same age and grew up somewhat in the same area. Very similar tastes. I see a few ones in there I have not listened much to ... until tonight.

Oh wow Susie, that is going to be fun but I am not sure I know some of those. I have much to learn.

Lori, love that song. I sure hope I can find them. I might just have to visit Amazon.com.

Manny I have heard of them but really do not know what they do. I am sure I have heard some of their songs. Oh MusicMatch ... play me a song ...

April 12, 2007 8:17 PM  
Blogger barman said...

OK, I can see this is going to take some time. Here is what I have done so far with me just finishing up with some ELO

Brothers Johnson

Strawberry Letter 23
Get the Funk Out My Face
Is it Love That We're Missin'
Tokyo
You Keep Me Coming Back
Land of Ladies
'Q'
Stomp
Free and Single
Love Is
Never Leave You Lonely
Brother Man
Right On Time
Free Yourself, Be Yourself
Do It Again
Let It All Blow
Invitation to Love


ELO

Mr Blue Sky
Don't Bring Me Down
Evil Woman
Telephone Line
Last Train to London
Strange Magic
Sweet Talkin' Woman
Turn to Stone
Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Fire on High
Livin' Thing
Hold on Tight
Confusion
Roll Over Beethoven
Ma-Ma-Ma-Belle


On Deck so far...


Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers

Why Do Fools Fall in Love



Ritchie Valens

La Bamba
Donna
Come On, Let's Go
Ritchie Doing Commercial for Winter Dance Party
Stay Beside Me
Malaguena
Big Baby Blues
Paddiwack Song
In a Turkish Town
Summertime Blues
Donna
Let's Rock & Roll

April 12, 2007 8:43 PM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Bryan,

I've seen EWF, Foreigner and The Guess Who all at the Michigan Festival some years ago and they are all good shows. But the bass on EWF made us leave early due to stomach vibrations.

I thought I was your favorite singer, but I didn't get a mention.

Time, time, time, see what's become of me ....

John Goacher

April 12, 2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Gogo, those open mike times were great. I love the songs... Boothferry Bridge, Streets of London, Poverty Poverty Knock come to mind right off. I sure do not forget them or you.

Of course with you the songs were only part of the package. You were always a true entertainer regardless if it was a song, an a cappella song, a joke or just some banter... you captured the audience. So sure, I will add you to the list. Nice to see you again.

April 12, 2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

I saw EWF, at the Masonic with Jeff Beck, and Weather Report..
What a great show!!!
Have a great week-end Bryan......G

April 13, 2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

I love all of those groups you've listed. I grew up in the 60's and my sister is 10 years older than me so I had a lot of music to be exposed to. She was into Jimi, Cream, etc. She even saw Jimi Hendrix in concert! Lucky dog she was....

What a great blog today barman :o))

Hey...going to see Boz Skaggs tomorrow ;o)

I'll try to remember to bring my camera.

April 13, 2007 2:40 PM  
Blogger lime said...

hhmm....i met my husband at a monkees concert. does that count for anything?

April 13, 2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Bryan, you just took me back! Wasn't EWF the band with about 30 members? They had to increase the size of the stage to fit them all on. Lol

April 13, 2007 4:28 PM  
Blogger javajazz said...

always loved James Taylor and even more so now as his music has evolved wonderfully through the years.
but at 15 i was listening to weird stuff that kids dont normally listen to...i fell in love with jazz pianist Bill Evans (he played piano on Miles Davis Kind of Blue record that lots of people seem to have heard of) and Antonio Carlos Jobim, and the Beatles of course...i rarely went to concerts, dont like my music served up with crowds and noise, but hung out a LOT at downtown jazz venues in my late teens early 20's...funny, even as a kid i rarely listened to the stuff others listened to so much.
oh yeah, Barman reminded me of Elton John, but early folky EJ...
i even liked Tom Jones...isnt that weird? not his music so much as him...that's just plain wrong...
oh well...Joni Mitchell, other folkies...

April 13, 2007 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home