Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Shame on you Red Cross

OK, I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Actually this all started yesterday...

I went to the Red Cross to give blood yesterday. It was amazing how quickly they were able to process me. Normally it takes a little over an hour. Yesterday I was out of there in 40 minutes or so. It is amazing how fast they can push you through when it is close to closing.

It probably has been happening all along but yesterday I just really noticed it. When I sat down I was asked my social security number. OK, there is no reason they need this number. By keeping this number on their database systems they are opening themselves up to future security breaches. It has happened at least once and I am sure even more often that data including social security numbers were compromised. Anyway this is my first complaint.

I asked the nurse taking my readings what the number is used for. She said it was to identify who I am. Certainly this does not need to be done. I watched medical insurance companies remove social security numbers from the medical cards. If they can do it so can the Red Cross. Anyway at the time I said they should not be using the social security number and left it at that.

At the end of the review she printed out a form with all my information on it including my social security number. So now I have a piece of paper out there with my number out there, a number that should be kept secure. Who knows where that paper is headed. When it gets there will it be shredded or securely filed? Beats me but I intend to find out. Working with computers and seeing what other companies have done I know something can be done. At the very least they should only print the last 4 digits of the social security number.

Well I have not contacted the Red Cross yet but I will. Will this go anywhere? Probably not. Will I take it further? You bet I will. Will I still be ignored? Most likely. In these times where people get their identities stolen all the time I think it is irresponsible of the Red Cross to still be using our social security number.

In all fairness I have to also mention that the Red Cross does a lot of good for people out there. Picking on them for this one practice they do, something that others still do all over the place, hardly seems fair. Still I think they need to take steps to correct this and I hope to give it a try to bring it to their attention. With luck maybe they are already working on correcting this.
7 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

yikes, that's pretty bad. i gave blood for many years but don't recall the SS # thing. of course it's been a long time since i donated too (kept getting deferred for anemia).

you are right to kick up a fuss about it.

October 23, 2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

Any medical profession now knows that social security numbers are not really needed.

Take it from the girl that works in a psychiatry office..

We use name and date of birth to verify insurance information and to log people in.

There really is no reason they should still be using a ssn..

October 23, 2008 10:33 AM  
Blogger American Red Cross Social Media Team said...

Hi Barman-- This is Claire from the Red Cross. We've actually changed our policy and no longer require your social security number. I'd like to look into this further-- could you tell me where you donated?

October 23, 2008 11:06 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Claire, I donated at the Lansing branch of the Red Cross yesterday evening October 22.

American Red Cross
Mid-Michigan Chapter
1800 E. Grand River Avenue
Lansing, MI 48912

I did not refuse to give the number but I did make a comment about it. I would have tried to reply back to you personally but your profile does not seem to be set up to allow me to do that.

October 23, 2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Keep us updated on what happens. I give blood every 2 months or so and have never paid attention. I will now.

Have a good weekend

October 24, 2008 6:39 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime, you know the only reason I really pay attention is we recently fired someone at work. When they went through her files they found tons of information, not all of which was kept locked up, that contained ssn numbers. So now I am much more attuned to that number.

Sarah I thought that was the case. It sounds promising, maybe this is a local thing and can be changed.

Good for you KJ. I used to give blood 5 times a year, the maximum you can. I did notice somewhere on the Internet that there was some changes to policy so maybe they do not do the same thing where you are.

October 24, 2008 7:46 AM  
Blogger American Red Cross Social Media Team said...

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it!

October 24, 2008 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home