Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, July 13, 2009

Yahoo Messanger, is it Safe?

I just had a mini scare with Yahoo IM yesterday. It may all be in my head but I still panicked and made some hasty adjustments. I am wondering if I really needed to worry about it.

A person I really do not know asked for my screen name for Yahoo IM. We had briefly chatted on facebook so I thought it could not hurt. He jumped into Yahoo and away we went. After making a couple of statements I was a little concerned. Then he said in affect be right back and was gone for some time.

During that time I decided to look at Yahoo a little. I discovered I had two phone numbers, a work email and a old wireless carrier account number which has been deactivated since I switched to another carrier. It still unnerved me that I had all that information just sitting in my Contact Information area. I ended up blanking all that out but here is my concern...

What happens with that contact information. Does it EVER get sent out to anyone unless I specifically send it to them? If not than I am probably safe. If it does get sent out when someone is added to your list for Yahoo than there is the possibility that this person (or anyone that is added) could see that and I am not happy.

Anyway I hope this is all in my head but what can I say my mind was on overdrive. It does not help that the person was from Nigeria I suppose...

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. It sure was wet on Saturday in Ohio. Yikes.
12 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Bryan, I've come to the conclusion concerning all of the Internet that what was safe yesterday my not be safe today. I think that I, too, may have too much information about myself posted all over the net; information that seemed OK years ago, but may not be OK in these days of pervasive scamming and identity theft.

July 13, 2009 1:49 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

i don't think anything on the internet is ever 100% safe...hackers or whathaveyou can get in to almost anything if they wanted. is it the contact info that yahoo uses for your account? or elsewhere? people on im or even email contacts don't have access to your yahoo account. but see, better safe than sorry, eh? i don't use my real name on the net for lots of reasons lol

July 21, 2009 11:52 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

well let me tell you that on my desktop I had YIM. I kept getting these stupid errors and each one claimed that YIM was the fault of these errors. SO I uninstalled it. When I got my lap top I refused to download it. Some of my friends who always used YIM to connect with me were mad as I use the laptop more than the desktop cant get ahold of me. I reminded them that I didnt have it on my desktop any more either but they still get mad.

July 22, 2009 9:02 PM  
Blogger S said...

I dont know....just be careful. Most people on the internet are losers.

We have been so fortunate to have all found each other. A bunch of honest nice folks that just wanna be pals and share stuff.

But, it's not all like that out there as you know...


Glad youre back I didnt realize since Im not blogging much either!

Be well!

July 26, 2009 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here for the first time and enjoy your posts... will be here more often, just wanted to say hello!

August 07, 2009 8:07 AM  
Blogger S said...

Hey where are ya?

August 25, 2009 8:16 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

That is scary! Yeah, I won't put any info out there other than I am female....lol! When I first started out on yahoo, I, still knew to all of this, put out all of my info except any phone numbers. Man did I get some weirdos IMing me. EEEK! I guess we all live and learn.

August 30, 2009 4:30 PM  
Blogger S said...

HI again! :D

November 01, 2009 1:19 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

Thinks that you need to start using this site again.

February 01, 2010 3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I came by to see how you are doing, Bryan. Well, I hope.

May 17, 2010 11:00 AM  
Blogger RHYME AND RETRO said...

hi, I've changed my blog name and address.....

http://rhymeandretro.blogspot.com/

so you can find me :)

August 21, 2010 9:23 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

BRYAN!

November 09, 2010 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home