Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, March 27, 2009

They call me Farmer Barman

Yesterday I was out working my land
The vegetable garden with be big and strong
There were be a decent variety planted
when the time is appropriate

I can not wait for harvest time.

Of course in my mind my garden is huge
In reality it’s only 72 square feet.


I had to continue the green theme...

Since the weather has been mostly decent lately I have been trying to do what I can to get the flower and vegetable gardens ready for the year. The weather did not cooperate over the weekend and since it will be a good size job I decided to move on to the vegetable garden.

Over the last several years I have not done anything with the garden, not even pick the weeds. One year I had a weed that was 6 foot tall. I could not bear to cut it down, I wanted to see how big it could get to be. I did at one point toss a bunch of grass clippings on the garden to choke out the weeds.

Well yesterday was the day to clean that mess up. The chicken wire I use to try and keep the critters out came down and will be replaced with new chicken wire. Next clean all the mess up. I have almost 70 percent cleaned up. The rest I have to move some retainer wall bricks, a couple of tree rings, a couple of down spout splash thingies, and some sand. Then I get to use the tiller. I can not wait. This year I think I will add some onions and cut back on the tomatoes.

I have another small project I may try this year. I have a couple of small planting beds by my front door. The bed on one side has small single layer retaining wall as a border. The other side has a plastic border. I think it may be time to put down the retaining wall on the other side. I will lose a fair amount of space in the bed but it has Hosta plants and I do not need that room if I do not plant any annuals in there. It will not be a ton of work and it will look much nicer.

Yep you can tell spring is hear. My head is thinking outside, outside, outside.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
8 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

hey, 72 sq ft can yield a nice bit of veggies. do enjoy!

March 27, 2009 11:06 AM  
Blogger g-man said...

I'll be calling on you come harvest time Bryan...I do know where you live!!

Anyway Rosebud was Citizen Cane's last words...

And thanks for coming out of hiding to play this week..

Have a Great Week-End....G

March 27, 2009 11:07 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

if i had to rely on planting my own garden to eat, i'd STARVE! lol i'm terrible w gardening. can't wait to see how everything comes out :)

i'm up 55

March 27, 2009 11:39 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

In my world, 72 square feet is a huge garden.

I'll have some tomatoes and bell peppers please.

March 27, 2009 3:14 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime I sure will enjoy. I may even try erbs this year.

Hey G, I will have a great weekend. I am planning for the bad weather on Sunday so I can be inside and nice and tosty.

Ciara at least some things must be easy to do because I have always had luck and I think I have a brown thumb.

Mary you are in luck. I will be planting tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers and possibly some onions, Well that and some erbs. We will see if I branch out beyound that. Sounds like almost all the ingredients of a nice salsa. I have to admit, 72 square foot is not large but to someone in an appartment or to someone in a country with a lot larger population like India, that certainly could be a luxery.

March 27, 2009 4:10 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

wow! I love vegetable gardens. Eating home grown veggies gives you such a sense of satisfaction. I guess its the hard work put in yielding result that is so satisfying!

Eating the fruit of your labor. Nothing can be more fulfilling!

March 27, 2009 10:37 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

I would love love love to be able to have a garden period!!!! It's a lot of work but so well worth it.

I'm BAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!

March 29, 2009 8:56 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

So happy to see that your day started off with a smile ;o))

I've missed you too Bryan!

March 30, 2009 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home