Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, April 03, 2009

Conficker

Looks like I got hit. ZoneAlarm is a piece of SHIT and their support is non existant. I have been waiting for going on two hours for a CHAT which is the way they support you. Here is what happened so you do not make the same mistake if you are using ZoneAlarm.

First, dump ZoneAlarm and get something else that REALY WORKS. Anyway here we go.

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite 1 PC - 1 Year that I updated on March 31. I ran a scan and everything came back fine except it found about 8 malware items, nothing unusual.

Today I received a message box that said there is an update to ZoneAlarm that is important to apply. After I downloaded zaSuiteSetup_80_298_035_en.exe and ran it my machine no longer seems to work proper.

I can not seem to get to some places on the Internet. The ZoneAlarm product icon says protection is up but the UI is initializing and that was for a long time (at least 7 minutes) so I finally restarted. It did not seem better. Then I restarted in Safe Mode and things seem better more or less.

The file I downloaded is 61,024,648 bytes long and says that it is 8.0.298.035.
It says it was signed April 1st at 12:04:12 AM

It did not seem better. Then I restarted in Safe Mode and things seem better more or less but that means ZoneAlarm is not running. I still can not access Windows Update.
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
I also can not get the google updater to get Norton Security Scan and had a problem downloading that.

So it looks like I am infected. It also looks like ZoneAlarm has horribly failed me and they do not even have a message on their front page saying what is going on. I wish I could get this out to the press so they could warn everyone about ZoneAlarm. I guess I will just have to try this instead.
21 Comments:
Blogger jillie said...

Oh no Bryan! That's terrible. Good luck with that whole mess. My first computer I had about 10 years ago, a rebuild from an old boyfriend, contracted a virus. It was a mess I tell ya. Ended up having to get another computer. Again, another used one but that one lasted for quite awhile. Until another virus messed it up BIG time. So now I have a Mac and don't have to worry about that crap. It took me a LONG LONG time until I actually felt comfortable with it.

Good luck
;o)

April 03, 2009 12:44 AM  
Blogger snowelf said...

Oh Bryan--you're the first person I've heard of so far to have this--but I'm expecting a lot more in the upcoming week.

We use Norton and CA antivirus and I really like both of them. I'm so sorry you have to deal with all that--what a pain!!

--snow

April 03, 2009 8:18 AM  
Blogger snowelf said...

p.s. Sometimes if you rename the .exe file for norton, you can get it to run. Also try MalwareBytes.org. Excellent virus scanner. You may need to rename the .exe file of that too to get it to run though.

April 03, 2009 8:20 AM  
Blogger lime said...

well that just stinks. i hope you can get it all sorted out quickly and suffer no lasting ill effects.

April 03, 2009 8:40 AM  
Blogger S said...

Hey Farmer Barman,
I am going to send by email two files that will help you.

One came from BTExpress, and the other from the Microsoft website.
I thought I had Confucker too, so I dwnlded the Microsoft file from my daughters computer and emailed it to myself.

I will send both. Beings you have the virus, what can it hurt to run them?
Now, I have Macaffee. They fricking drive me crazy, what with daily updates and scans and trying to stop websites from opening, but apparently they are doing a fabulous job at keeping my puter safe. Now if only they could get my hampsters to work faster!

Miss you, want to see if all your bulbs came up that you had planted!
S

April 05, 2009 12:21 AM  
Blogger S said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 05, 2009 12:27 AM  
Blogger S said...

Ok Bryan will send that stuff over later, I have to go the Market til 3 pm.....
Argh its only 7 am yawwwnnn!

:P

April 05, 2009 10:13 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I am in Detroit and will check back in when I get home. So far I have a scan that says I am clean but I am not buying it. We will see what Susie sends me. I may reinstall Firefox as I am not sure I trust it after many setting where changed in it likes cookies off and cash possibly blown. I will check into other things too.

Thank you everyone very much.

April 05, 2009 6:16 PM  
Blogger S said...

Ok Bryan, I ran the thing that BTExpress sent me. I got a clean bill of health.
I think it's the same thing I send myself from LRs computer because both came from Microsoft Windows site.

I think you oughta do it.
You have to save it, download it, then run it.
Obviously, dont do any online banking, dont buy anything online, dont sign into paypal or ebay or buy any bloomers at my store until you are clean :P.

Even I am signing in on my daughters computer to go to my shop and paypal because I do not trust my computer yet.

I hope it works for you


S

April 06, 2009 5:49 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

OH CRAP Bryan! I had that problem with something I did to my last computer (cant remember the name of the program though) Good Luck hun.

April 08, 2009 9:20 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

Hey there Bryan...we miss you out here!

Happy Easter!

April 09, 2009 10:43 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Well my machine seems to be coming up clean but I do not feel I can trust it anymore. I think it is time for a reload. I am not looking forward to it.

Thank you Susie.

GAB I remember you having problems. It is not pretty for sure.

Hi Jille, you come back and I run away. Sorry I will try and be around more. I have got addicted to a game called Mob Wars that is taking a little of my free time. Shame on me, I have places to visit. :)

April 09, 2009 10:49 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

I can't say that I've ever heard of Mob Wars. But then, I've never been one for computer games. I've had people try to teach me and then after a while they realize that I really don't like to play them....LOL!!

Hope you had a Happy Easter Bryan!

April 15, 2009 12:52 PM  
Blogger Breazy said...

Hey Bryan, sorry I haven't been by in a while but things are crazy here.

I have never heard of ZoneAlmarm but I will tell you this, watch out for Norton products. I used Norton for years and then about two years ago it seemed that I was getting infected every couple of months. My cousin owns his own business building, repairing..blah blah...computers and finally he told me to take the Norton off and add AVG Free Edition, I haven't had a problem since.

Hope you are doing well! :)

April 15, 2009 6:49 PM  
Blogger S said...

Get your arse back online and post something new. We miss you, and blogging isn't the same without your sweetness!

April 19, 2009 3:13 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

Honey you should have used AVG

April 22, 2009 12:00 AM  
Blogger S said...

Come back to us, Barman! You are missed.

April 23, 2009 2:48 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I have had two malware programs recently and they seem to be seeping in from Facebook. Do you think that may be possible?

April 28, 2009 8:56 PM  
Blogger ell said...

where you been barman?? hope you're not still having computer problems. anyway, hope all is well and hope to see you blogging again soon.

April 29, 2009 5:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I shall avoid Zone alarm as if it were the plague.

June 11, 2009 8:13 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Happy Birthday to you Bryan!

July 01, 2009 2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home