Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Wow have I been missing forever

It started out as problems with my computer. It moved on to needing to do work outside to get everything as weed proof as I could. This I am most of the way done with. I just need to do a little clean up. Then there is the care for the lawn. It needs a lot of TLC let me tell you. Move one to posting a little more on my flickr account and then someone dragged me over to facebook and got me addicted on games.

I can not believe how fast time has flown. In the time I have been gone I think I only did a small handful of things worth blogging about. Of course if it would be of interest to anyone else I have not a clue.

I have my flower garden coming up and the nice red mulch is keeping most of the weeds away. I do have one puzzle here however. I planted a whole bunch of different colored tiger Lillie's and I do not think a single one came up. I was waiting to see if this one thing that came up was a tiger Lilly or a weed. I think it must be a weed. So what on earth did I do wrong with my tiger Lillie's? I suppose I could have planted them to deep but I thought I got it right. The way I planted them they were all planted at the same depth pretty much which could explain everything failing or making it. I have not watered tons but I have watered and put down some miracle grow fertilizer too. I did put a couple of inches of mulch over the top of the ground. I suppose that could have been a problem. I do have critters in the area but the Iris's all came up and the tulips did well. It just is a mystery to me but then I am not the gardener.

Anyway the tulips are long gone and the iris's are also bloomed out and now I have nothing to look at but green.

The shrubs I planted last fall seem to be doing OK but it will be forever before they look big enough to belong.

My managed to get my garden in order. I planted lots of different peppers and a tomato plant but once again a mystery. The tomato plant wants to lay down on the ground. I am not sure if something got to it or if I should have staked it up sooner. I am not be seeing tomatoes this year. Bummer I like tomatoes. Oh I did try a few things different with the garden. It LOVES to grow weeds, weeds, and MORE WEEDS. This year I put down a weed barrier and placed recycled rubber mulch on top of the barrier. It cost a small fortune but it is not supposed to float away, attract bugs, or fade for a long, long time. We will see how that works. Of course maybe that is what is bugging the tomato plants. I still need to get a small fence around the garden as I have a lot of rabbits in the area. Somehow I do not think I can guard against the few deer I have seen but I do not think they are bothering anything.

That brings me on to other fun projects. I have a window sill under a large picture window that is totally disintegrated. The squirrels did not help and now I have no sill. This mean the wall is exposed to the weather. I guess that will be my next project. I would also like to put in a nice little paver patio. My deck is to hot in the evening plus it is a tiny 10 x 12. I would like a nice area below I can place my grill on and come patio furniture and just relax enjoying the evening. Speaking of my deck, I need to tare about all but the infrastructure and replace it probably with planks that are part wood, part plastic that are suppose to wear for at least 10 years. That will be a bit of work and the bird living under the deck may still be using it for the baby bird and the nest. Oh well I have stuff to do. Speaking of which I also have two pieces of siding to replace. One is about 20 foot off the ground and I do not do well with height. That should be fun.

Since I have been gone I had a mini vacation to Kentucky to visit and do a little bit of Derby. I also have been spending a bit of time with the folks and family because face it, our folks... if they are alive, are not getting any younger. I will be celebrating the 4th with family and hope to take in a parade, a concert, and fireworks. We will see.

OK, about a concert. I had tickets to do the Chicago / Earth, Wind, and Fire concert that came to the Detroit area last month. I had to work and would have missed at least 2/3rds of the concert. I chose not to go. I am bummed. I love Chicago and what I heard of EWF I think I would love them too. The combined bands are simply incredible. I sure regret missing that.

Work has been threatening for possible cuts or furlow days. So far I have had to take 2. We will see what else is in store but I am certainly worried. I do not think I will lose my job but that is always a possibility. What can I say, the world economy is bad but in Michigan it down right stinks.

Well I should end this with two things. First, I will see if I can get some firework pictures and post them for the 4th or 5th. Second, today is not only Canada Day or otherwise known as Canada's birthday but I too share it's birthday. I have heard from several of you and I really want to say thank you. I especially want to say thank you to Mona who I suspect was the birdy letting people know it was my birthday. Mona you are the best. I would love to be half as considerate of other people as you are. Thank you and I love you for that and for being the super person that you are.

Well I will see if I can check in but I may not be near a computer for several days. Then again I have not posted for months so no one will ever read this anyway.

To those in the states have a safe and wonderful holiday weekend. Happy birthday to Canada and all her citizens especially all those we consider our friends here in blog land. And for everyone else... just have a wonderful weekend, OK?
10 Comments:
Blogger G-Man said...

BTW...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

July 01, 2009 10:28 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you G. Glad to hear things are going well for you. Weeding soon I hear...

July 02, 2009 12:54 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Happy Birthday to you Bryan!

July 02, 2009 2:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's grand to see you bloggin', Bryan!

Happy B'day (again)!

July 02, 2009 6:09 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Mona, you are the most thoughtful person. Thank you so very much.

I will try and find something to blogg about at least some of the times. I still don't do much and don't have a feline to write about but there has to be something. Thank you Nick.

July 02, 2009 10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bryan, you can always create "an imaginary friend." I had a couple when I was very young and the three of us had some really neat, bloggable adventures!

[:-)

July 02, 2009 10:57 AM  
Blogger ell said...

glad to hear you're alive and kickin'! was beginning to wonder if you'd ever come back. i know, i've been a very bad blogger, but i still like to check in on people and see how they're doing. good luck with your garden--hope you keep those weeds at bay.

and a very, very, happy belated birthday to you, sir!

;)

July 02, 2009 4:05 PM  
Blogger javajazz said...

out of the blue
and in a Cancerian state of mind,
i just remembered about
you and canada day
sharing the same birthday!
so even tho i'm a bit late,
hope you had a happy day
and a good celebration, B...!
xoCanadalisa

July 03, 2009 8:51 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi Lisa, thank you so much. Yep, it is just something I do. Of course by observing Canada Day I also have my birthday marked on the calendars ... indirectly.

I did not do a lot on Thursday but it is a slow build. Starting on Thusday doing a little bit and ending in a week when I visit Crabby, a used to be blogger I do not believe you have met.

You know I am long over due with a visit to Canada. I think it is time I return and visit Lake Louise and all the other beauty. I best be making plans for a vacation...

July 03, 2009 11:55 PM  
Blogger S said...

Well welcome back to blogland. I do believe I have also been too busy with that thing called life to blog.

I do believe you got a bad batch of tiger lily bulbs is all.

I have a brown thumb and mine come up every year and I dont even water em till I see them poking out of ground. But in Cali we dont have to dig up the bulbs, we can just leave them year round.

Anyway welcome back to blogosphere.
Happy 4th of July and Happy Birthday.

July 06, 2009 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home