Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Intro to Camping

Well this weekend was a success. We had about 40 people show up in all. Some of the people that always are there were not there this year. You miss it when they are not but life does go on.

The weather turned out great. Some sunshine, lots of clouds. Temperatures from the 50s to the low 70s. It misted a little bit on Sunday morning but other than that, no rain. The wind kicked up a little on Sunday too but nothing that caused problems.

I had to work on Friday and ended up not getting to the camp ground until about 6:00. I usually like to get there at 11:00 or so. I dumped off the firewood I managed to bring along and unpacked the stuff I just had to bring along. It was a light packing year and things still turned out well.



After eating a quick little meal it was time to go around the campfire. That is always the best part. Pretty much everyone sits around the campfire at least for a little while. Of course the kids split off and just have a ball walking about, playing in the trailers and probably getting into a little trouble that we will never know about. I am sure there are a few beers snuck here and there. For the most part however they are good kids.


There are always the hams. You know people that are usually the life of the party. They get in front of the group and just grab all the attention but you know what, it is fun having them around. Half the camp site was the "Lick" clan. They are always good for a laugh as there is bound to be someone that has had a beer or two or five to many plus they always have something fun to share. By the way, one thing that happens in the group is you pick up nick names. If you are lucky they don't stick. Well in the case of the "Lick" clan, that nick name has banded them for longer than I know them, probably over 20 years.



After many a person stayed up past 2:00 am we were a little slow starting the next day. Saturday is traditionally game day. There was balloon toss, we skipped the egg toss this year. We did a game I brought to the camp years ago that is meant to be a team building exercise. You pass a jelly bean between your spoon in you mouth to the persons spoon next to you. In order for that to happen you both have to work together. Once it make it around you pass two until you only have one person left. There was the marshmallow drive. You place a marshmallow on a make shift tee and see who can drive it the furthest. So I, as your roving reporter decided to go into the danger zone to get the action. I stood in front of the people driving the marshmallows and snapped pictures. For the most part all went well until someone drove a marshmallow whizzing past my ear. Still I managed not to get hit. I will make my way through the pictures and post a few tomorrow. We were suppose to have volleyball playoffs but ran out of time. There were also some games just for the kids but I missed that as I drove home to pick up the rest of the firewood I had to bring. Yea, I know have gotten rid of all that firewood. It was blocking my window and well it just needed to go. Oh, each step of the way there were prizes for the winners.




Saturday night was the dance which the teens attend and there was a euchre tournament. We played 8 hands with a partner and then moved on to the next game with a new partner. Because there was so many people we did not play with everyone. I could not stop getting 9s and 10s. One hand was three 9s, a 10 and probably a queen and I was 4 suited. I lost one game 8 to 2 and the I was very lucky to get the two. I did managed to have a lone hand and actually get 4 points but the other team answered that by a lone hand of their own. On our group of 24 people, one person had 46 points and won. I cam in with 35 points and thought I did OK considering. Besides, I play very conservative and always get my butt beat by someone that plays more risky.


This night was also hobo pie night. "Lick" was not there, just the rest of the clan and they did their best to get the hobo pie thing going but they really never did get it. It is not as easy as Lick makes it look. The other cookers has a problem with her arms and was not able to participate either.



Besides people we were also missing some things. There were NO jell-O shots in the camp. We went from having between 80 and 100 dozen (yes we are talking about well over 1000 jell-O shots) to nada, not one jell-O shot and that was without people talking about it. It just was not a priority this year. There also were no evil spirits where we place some ice, fruit and alcohol into a jug, wrap it in a towel tightly and pass it around to rock for a while before we partake in the evil spirits. Our typical resident pyros where missing. We still managed to go through a lot of wood but it just was not the same. By the way, the position of resident pyro is open if we have any takers. WMY comes to mind I believe. Well not her but the SO.




Sunday was dish to pass night and that went well. We had plenty to eat. I made 3 dozen corn and that went over well. There was main dishes, salads, deserts... basically we were all able to eat and not have to make anything other than that dish to pass. This is something that grew out of the milk can stew I used to make and the meat the Lick clan used to smoke and share. I like were it has headed.



We had a side event this year. One of the campers, who has always seemed fairly short by the way, said she was 5'6". Now I found that a little hard to believe but I let it go. But then it kept being brought up. Since no one was producing a tape measure I decided to go into town on Sunday and get a few supplies. I put together a make shift measure kind of like what you fill out as your kids grow inches every year. Well surprise, surprise she was indeed 5'6". She claims she is going to grow to be 6'2" or 3" but I don't think so. She is 22. I think she is done with growth spurts. It is funny, we have many others lining up and measuring themselfs. Maybe this needs to be turned into an event.




We had our drama as Mr Ranger was not happy with us on Saturday. We were to loud. What a shook. I think he was just a little more strict then usual as he was with the new owner of the camp ground. So we needed to be a little more in control than usual. Or at least try to be more in control. I pity the people that camp around us. The fun thing is the camp owner snuck up on us the last night by himself on a golf cart and said he really enjoyed having us there. That was nice and I here thought we were about to get in trouble again.


Here is a picture of Mr Ranger (Joe) from several years ago since I did not get any of him this year. Not that since that time he has a much nicer and quieter golf cart now but he still has that hat. It is his trademark.


Well I have made this post way to long. Just know that if you ever find yourself in Michigan over the Labor Day weekend you will always be welcome to come join us at Camp Walnut Hills in Durand Michigan. There will be a spot for you and I just know you will fit right in... well that is unless you expect to get some sleep.


Here is a picture of the gang. All but the day campers I believe.


I could not resist the following two for Crabby.

I will post some more pictures tomorrow morning or tonight on a seperate post. Don't look for me however. The only picture I am in is the top picture above.



When a black person has no electricity, no water, they call it the ghetto. When white people have no electricity and no water, they call it camping. --Mind of Mencia
12 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

Love the Mencia quote!

I can't believe no one brought Jello shots! What's wrong with you people?

I really was literally around the corner from you. Weird!

I want to try your jelly bean game sometime. Sounds like fun!

September 06, 2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign the game is fun. The only thing is you need to decided who gets out if the jelly bean is dropped. They started it out as the passer but that is not fair so they made it both. Personally I think if the person passing has not yet touched the other persons spoon then they should be out. If the pass has been complete then the person receiving should be out. If it is in between then they both should be out.

I ran out of time so I did not make the shots. It was a surprise to me also. I will make sure that does not happen again.

I suspect you were on main street or there abouts. We were probably 4 miles south unless you went visiting after the parade. It is a nice little town. We go camping there every year so if you are going to be in or at the parade again sometime, please let me know. If I did not have to work on Friday I would have made two trips for wood on Friday and would not have had to go home Saturday as well. Isn't it funny. We are destend to it somehow. Who knows, maybe Silver Bells.

September 06, 2006 6:41 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Hello, Earth to Barman. I was on Durand Rd. which is just around the corner from Cole Rd. My brother in law lives on Durand Rd. We spent time at his house as well as in the town :)

September 06, 2006 8:45 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Oh, BTW, you little devil. You're not supposed to move firewood from one county to another. Remember the Emerald Ash Boar? Shhh, I won't tell.

September 06, 2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I checked it out completely before I moved it Sign and since it was moved from a quarentiend area to a quarentiend are and also since it was mostly pine (soft wood) anyway (and no ash) I was in the clear. I would not have moved it otherwise. And if I misinterpreted the law please don't tell me because I would rather not know. I would just be mad at myself. We found someone near by to get wood from from now on. They sell the good wood and hold the scrap wood. We by the scrap from him. We do not need a pretty fire, just a fire.

OK, so I drove past your brothers house when I went into town. That is real close. Now I understand. D'oh!

September 06, 2006 10:19 PM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Sounds like you had great fun - I love camping too and we as a family go camping quite often!

September 07, 2006 4:22 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

Sounds like a blast. I love campfires.

How could jello shot's not be a priority? Make shift tape measure? I'm 5'3", do you want to come measure me? *wink*

I missed you. Glad you're back.

September 07, 2006 4:45 AM  
Blogger barman said...

nmotb, it was fun. Even though most of these people are not family or relatives, they all feel like family. We have been doing this for so long (17 or 18 years for me, 25 years for my sister) that you watch people get married, divorced, dating, kids growing up... just like family.

Manny we have to use a ring to keep the fire in control. The campground gave us a bigger one than most ... it is 5 to 6 feet across so we can build a nice fire. We usually go through 2 cords of wood at least. It is not a small fire but it is certainly a nice one. 5'3"? I figured you were at least 6'6" :) I guess tall in spirit, just a little less tall in stature. I never did get my corn hole game from your nexk of the woods. Maybe I can do both. Hummmm...

September 07, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That's the best shirt ever!

September 07, 2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

WAAAA Im late. Im glad you had a good time. thanks for the blow by blow of events. I love to camp. But it hasnt been in the cards for us for 2 years now. We started out in a tent.. then moved up to a tent trailer now have a 27 foot trailer with bath kitchen the whole 9 yards well almost. Our next move of course will be a big RV. Hubby wants to travel the usa and so do I.

September 07, 2006 10:36 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Booo-hoooo!! JUST WHAT I NEEDED! Some time away from this suck-ee existence I am in.
Now THAT sounded like a total blast.My family used to all meet at the campground in Lufkin,and try and get everyones' RV as close as possible when arranged in time,that is...and those without an RV threw up tents or (like me) I never had an RV so I stayed with my Dad and step-mom,but we NEVER did those kinds of fun things.I mean,we had a blast playing charades and skip boe or whatever...but your campout sounds like a total blast! Can I invite myself for next years events? If so....pencil me.lol
I laughed so hard about the Lick clan,cuz we have a couple of really nutty people in my family like that....they are just freakin' hilarious and will SAY ANYTHING that comes to mind.Or the one that usually has waaaay to much to drink is my uncle Roger,who is a real story teller!! You never know if what he is telling you is made up or real(he does that on purpose) and he'll just have your ribs hurting laughing so hard.
I've been being a whiney-bag lately,as you know....but I think a trip like that is way over due.I would have loved to have been at you guys' campout! How neat-o!
Glad you had a good time.Your such an easy-going chap.I bet you are the life of the party!!

September 08, 2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Crabcake, I thought you might enjoy the shirt.

Gab, I have a tent but the last several times I have slept in my sisters popup. It has been nice to be out of the cold and off the ground. Of course I have been sleeping on an air mattress when I slept in the tent so I never really was on the ground but... Wow, a 27 footer. How nice that would be. I hope you guys get a chance to tour the USA soon. That would be so fun.

Tammi, I got you penciled in. I am sure we can find you a popup somewhere. You will fit right in and be like one of the family. Sometimes the family is a little disfunctional but still a family just the same. Bring some new game ideas. Next years theme is Disney if you care to particiapte. :)

All kidding aside, should anyone ever find themselves in Michigan over Labor Day we will always have room for you.

September 08, 2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home