Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Finally, I Can Breath

The last little bit has been fun. Sleeping, still not back to normal but as of last night much better. At least I can concentrate some today which makes working much better.

Yesterday I joined the ranks of procrastinator when I worked through my income taxes. First type in all the numbers from the envelope I have, but wait one of the important documents is MISSING! Oh found it. Can I claim anyone? What if I started tossing in blogger buddies… I wonder if they will catch it? Oh wait, no SS number… Deductions, there was that clothes donation. I think the pants were worth at least $1,000 with the shirts easily being $400 each. I really loved those clothes… *sniff*

OK, more deductions are a bust. Let's just work through and see what they are already giving me to work with. Not to bad but if I can only… oh wait, forgot about the newer vehicle. OK and now homestead and … Not bad, not bad.

Now let it whirl and spin and spit out the final tally and we are all set to go. Finally tell it to electronic file and PRESS THE RETURN KEY. Cool, all done with an hour and a half to …

SURVER BUSY. TRY AGAIN LATER LIKE BETWEEN 4:00 AM and 4:00 PM PDT. WHAT??? *%&%**$#^%

After I calmed down I tried again and again with similar results. Sometimes it cut me off right away, other times it got with seconds of the filing happening and it failed. I sat there and thought I wonder what will happen if I do not get this filed before midnight? Is it midnight or actually 3:00 am since the computers I was using were over in good old San Francisco (I think). Where the poor servers on fire because of all the late filers? Was the wire actually melting that fed the tax returned into them? Would IRS and others accept the late returns if it was not filed before midnight? Will I ever get to sleep? I wonder if I should print it and make a wild dash for the main post office? I might make it.

About 11:30 the system pretending like it was letting me in. It had done that to me several times before so I was all too familiar with how the cat and mouse game was played. Show him the cheese and yank it away at the last minute. Yep I figured that is what … wait a minute, something is different. Different is good.

OK half a victory. It seems to think it was transmitted but it can not confirm it. Check back in an hour. 30 minutes later I checked and it looked like it had been transmitted to the State and Federal but I need to check back in the next day or two. I will check after work and see if I am OK so mission accomplished … I think.


The next order of business, TESTING. Not books and paper or anything like that. It is the kind of tests administered by the resident vampires. I had to fast for 10 hours. Do you know how hard it was to go through all that tax stuff without even being able to drink any water or munch on anything? Oy! I ate just a little later last night then I planned on (imagine that) and had to delay going in for the test. No problem I will just use the closest lab instead of where I normally go. I walked in the door and there were 6 people going on 100 in there. I was glad I came when I did as the place just kept packing in more people. At one point they told people plan on over 30 minutes. I only had 20 minutes available to me.

As I did my math and watched the place slowly worked through the people until I was "Next In Line." They took me back and asked a couple of questions to make sure I would get the correct tests schedule and they typed their dissertation on the computer. You know it might be that is the best that could be done but I think I would be hanging my head in shame if I wrote that program. What do I know?

The draw happened and it went real nice, I hardly felt it. I bounced out to the car and I knew I was going to be late. I popped past home to get medicine, a change of shirt and some form of breakfast before bolting out the door. I ended up 10 minutes late but at least that was finally done.

Hopefully tonight will turn out much better. Hope you are having a nice hump day.



Something is... different. Good or bad? Anything different is good. –Groundhog Day
8 Comments:
Blogger jillie said...

You know I was watching the news last night and they were showing the lines at the Post Office where people were lined up in the cars to drop off their taxes. They had mention about all of the "procrastinators" whom shall remain nameless...right Bryan? Oops! But they said that they were getting bounced off and had to "keep on trying"

You know...I am always 10 min late so technically...on my dime...you're RIGHT ON TIME ;o))

Have a bitchin day!

April 18, 2007 3:26 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Looks like federal accepted, State??? WhoHoo. State always takes longer.

Jillie, now who would be that procrastinator? I got lucky this time it looks like. I did have a bitchin' day, thank you nurse Jillie.

April 18, 2007 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was cutting it pretty close Bryan.lol
Hope you sleep well tonight and your tests come out ok.
tc

April 18, 2007 6:29 PM  
Blogger barman said...

It sure was tc, its sure was. I think I learned my lesson. I know better. The tests are just blood glucose which should be OK but not wonderful and cholesterol. I am curious to hear the cholesterol but it has always been good with one exception.

April 18, 2007 6:43 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

You did the turbo tax thingy didn't ya? Me too! I did mine earlier in the month, but I recognized the steps you mentioned in your post...I got my federal acceptance back first too...state got accepted by the next day.

There was an article in the Grand Rapids Press tonight about the Turbo tax server being so overwhelmed that it was taking hours to get confirmed instead of seconds. The article said at one point the server was doing like 80 income tax confirms per second, but there were sooooooo many people trying to get their stuff through, it was still taking hours.
Fun stuff huh? lol

April 19, 2007 1:41 AM  
Blogger barman said...

You got it Wendy. For the most part if you are not stupid and filing the last minute (duh) it works pretty good. They say they processed over 1 million returns on Tuesday. Lets see, at $17.00 or so a return that is 17 million dollars in one night. I bet you never made that much working even on a good night. Neither have I.

April 19, 2007 3:16 AM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Barman?
Naughty Naughty!
Try and relax now.....

April 19, 2007 7:11 AM  
Blogger barman said...

G-man, I went to bead early and slept most of the night. Ah.

April 19, 2007 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home