Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Saturday, April 14, 2007

I'm Old

It happened, I think I am officially old. Yesterday I received my application for AARP Membership. For anyone that does not know AARP is the Association for the Advancement of Retired Persons: an association of people to promote the welfare of senior citizens. It is open to anyone that is 50 or older. The fun thing is it says you can apply if you are 50. Now I will not be 50 until July. When I look at the letter and card attached it says I have to mail it by May 18. You do the math, I will not be eligible yet. For a big organization they sure are dumb. Of course if I were to slide them some money like they are asking ($12.50 US) I am sure they will look the other way for a few months.

So I do not know much about the organization. On the surface it sure makes sense. They represent the ever growing population of people that individually would be ignored. By bringing people together others listen. I mean if one person says you WILL protect my Social Security... government will just ignore them. If 50 million people say YOU WILL protect my Social Security, government will ask how high would you like me to jump. You piss off a large enough group of people that are like minded and you will most likely kiss your next election goodbye. And lets face it, politicians are more worried about keeping themselves in office than anything else anyway.

My concern is if they say vote for so and so or avoid this or what ever else they do. If their goals and mine do not line up than why should I be a member anyways? Sure there are benefits like discounts on services like Insurance but I do not know if I could blindly follow what they say. Well maybe I should officially register as a senior citizen by joining AARP and see what it is all about.

Crabby, when does the discount kick in at Bob Evans... not that I am calling you old, no sir... never do that.



A prior post I ask for and received some feedback about what music you listen to, something that brings back good (or bad) memories for you. I have been working my way through it and have decided to list what I have been listening to. So for the next little bit I will be tacking a group on the end of posts and the songs I listened to. I will also be linking these posts together with the label “jukebox”

Brothers Johnson
Now I only heard a few from them but I love it, very nice

Strawberry Letter 23
Get the Funk Out My Face
Is it Love That We're Missin'
Tokyo
You Keep Me Coming Back
Land of Ladies
Q
Stomp
Free and Single
Love Is
Never Leave You Lonely
Brother Man
Right On Time
Free Yourself, Be Yourself
Do It Again
Let It All Blow
Invitation to Love







This totally adds to my 'old people are crazy' theorem. –Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Labels:

12 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

ok, here's my AARP story. I am only 38 and yet over a year ago I got a letter from them asking, nearly demanding, to knwo why i had not yet joined and availed myself of their services....this arrived in the mail the same day i also received and unsolicited coupon for and sample of the latest hi-tech diaper produced by pampers.......say whu?????

thanks also for you kind and encouraging words at my place yesterday. sounds like your brother really had an awful experience too! glad it wasn't any worse for him.

April 14, 2007 11:38 AM  
Blogger CozyMama said...

heard nothing but good things about AARP - parents are members...oooooh did that make you feel older? HAHA. just messing with you. cool jukebox.

April 14, 2007 8:01 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime, how could they get it SO wrong with you. You don't suppose they had anything to do with your accident, do you?

Sorry to hear about it but I must admit what I have seen you around you seem like a super person and you have a super family for sure. Oh and I thought I owned the market on doing dumb things. Stop giving me competition.

Jodes, I think almost everyone on the net is 30 something so that does not surprise me. This does not really get me down although we will see how I do on the actual birthday.

April 14, 2007 8:37 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

Hi hon,
my parents are signed up with AARP...they just go with what works for them, and don't worry about the rest of the stuff...they kind of pick and choose their way through all of the AARP stuff...bunch of pickers anyway!! lol
I know I am a little late on the music thing, but...When ever I hear the Eagles...Hotel California, Life in the fast lane, etc...I always remember my first summer after high school. I met my ex-husband, and he always listened to the Eagles. I learned to love them too. So, whenever I hear any of their songs, I always remember that time, and feel young and carefree again.

April 14, 2007 9:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Well see Wendy, that is what I am talking about. And I love the Eagles. I think I have one of their albums (yes vinyl, not CD).

Funny story about Hotel California. We had a project going on at work. Some contractors had been working on this for several weeks and it was taking them longer then expected. Each afternoon the one person would call his travel agent and schedule a flight home, then it would not happen and he would reschedule all over again.

The contractors set up office in one room. They were basically living in there. Anyway what I did was put Hotel California on a piece of paper and attach it to the door to their room when they were not looking. You know "you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave". He was not amused but it still gets talked about every now and then and that was over 10 years ago.

April 14, 2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger lime said...

lol, no the AARP thing came pre-accident, after the accident i was high as a kite on painkillers and wouldn't have cared or remembered probably.

oh, i have quite the reputation for doing dumb abd klutzy things....really. thanks for the kind words. you seem like a terrific fellow yourself from what i've seen as well. the card for sign girl was FAB!

April 14, 2007 10:27 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Limey, Barman is a very terrific fellow..

AARP...Hahahaha

I've been a member for years.

You get some great discounts on Motel Rooms!

Have a great week-end Bryan.......Galen

April 15, 2007 12:17 AM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Barman,

I was a member of AARP for a few years but found that by booking hotels on the Internet and sometimes using my employee ID card (same outfit as yours), I could beat any AARP discount.

I had little use for their magazine and newsletter, and they could not match my existing auto-insurance rates - although they sent me a handful of free calculators trying to.

I also preferred to think for myself. In short, good outfit for some people and not much use for others. I fall into the others camp and have not re-upped for the past few years. They still send me memberhsip cards asking for the $12.50 and they insist on trying to sell me insurance of one form or another.

If you don't respond now, they'll send you another offer shortly. Try them and then decide. Cheap enough.

April 15, 2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Tell you what Lime, lets make a pact to never be in the same room at the same time. The world could not survive what I am sure would happen.

G-man, nothing much but music, TV, cleaning and computer. I am trying to get over a cold. That is OK however.

Gogo, I kind of figured that it might be like that. I also said for so cheap why not give them a try. Thanks for the info.

April 15, 2007 10:08 PM  
Blogger bella said...

Strawberry Letter 23 now reminds me of one of the later episodes of Six Feet Under. It left a vivid impression.

bella

April 16, 2007 1:16 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

Wow...you'll have to let me know how it goes with AARP...I have 4 years to go...dang! I'll be an official antique. I wonder how much I could get if I auctioned myself off at Sothby's or Christie's?

April 17, 2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ohmigod - Bros. Johnson are one my all-time favorite groups!!!

You're totally old school, Bryan! LOL...how cool..

Nice post!

April 21, 2007 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home