Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Game Boards

Edit: Queenie asked "what is cornhole?" so I thought I would edit this post and add a couple of links from prior posts. Look here for the post that explains the game and here for a little more information.

Here are my cornhole boards I promised to post about. One of them needs much more work on the painting so I am not showing it. Another needs a little more work on the painting so I left it taped up. Lets start with that. This board will eventually be my Detroit Red Wing board. It does not look like much with the protective tape on.



Next we have the Ohio State board. We start out the tape on. Since I am not the neatest painter and since I wanted as crisp lines as I could get I elected to tape the board and then paint overlapping the tape. For the most part it turned out not to bad. Oh and stare if you like at my book shelves in the next few pictures. For the most part I have a bunch of shelf space full of a lot of technical mumbo jumbo (technical terms, don't try to use it unless you are a professional... LOL). The only even remotely interesting book is a Womans health book. First I am curious and when that happens I usually read about it somewhere. Second I had a friend wanting to talk about a few things. Why me I will never know but to be able to talk a little more intelligently... I now own a Womans health book. Oh boy! I would go on about a few other interesting books I have but that would be off topic and we can't have that.




This next shot shows the rounded corners. I am rather proud of that. I did not see plans mention doing that anywhere. I think it gives a nice touch to it. That and it is my first time using a router other than something to hook up a computer network.




Oh and before I go further a simple disclaimer. I am not a woodworker. I am so so with working with my hands. I do not put in the effort to make things perfect. These boards have flaws and anyone looking at them will notice it but it is not real super embarrassing. In saying that however I believe this is build fairly strong and should hold up well. They should be good for many years of playing. Shall we continue...

This shows the fold up legs under the OSU game board.




And finally lets strip that tape off and show a view of the board with two of the cornhole bags on the board. Also you see a paper mock up of what the logo will look like only there will not be all that white around it and it will be in the proper Scarlet, Gray, Black and White Buckeye colors. As a matter of fact this will probably be a vinyl decal that I will need to apply to the board much like how SignGurl does her work day in and day out. I know I will be asking for tips or help, I hope you do not mind.


And finally the Green and White MSU board and the board with two of the bags. Missing is the University of Michigan board that I will continue working on now that the others are more or less done for now.




There you have it. My cornhole game boards. They were more expensive than I would have liked but it is hard to find places that sell boards like this in Michigan. Now in Ohio you have to be careful or you may just trip over a board from all the places that make them. Why that is important is these boards are heavy. They are not the cheapest thing in the world to ship. Anyway I am still happy I made them as I have a sense of accomplishment and they will be the way I wanted them to be. I like to be just a little different and these fill that bill.
20 Comments:
Blogger Queenie said...

Never heard of a cornhole board, please explain. You guys over the pond are such a great source of education to me. I now kow the true meaning of 420 and soon I hope all about cornhole

October 31, 2007 6:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Quite an accomplishment, Brian. Congratulations on your creativity and on jobs well done.

October 31, 2007 6:05 AM  
Blogger lime said...

well congrats. looks like they'll be terrific when they are all done. folding legs are a nice touch too. have fun.

October 31, 2007 6:39 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Queenie, I have added links to a couple of prior posts on the main post. The first link should help explain what the game is. And you know, we are all great sources of information as we have much to learn from each other.

Thank you Nick. It took a while but it does feel good.

Lime, you be my partner and we will have lots of fun taking everyone on. The folding legs seemed nice. Now maybe I can even store these when not in use. Most important.

October 31, 2007 7:49 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I'm am most impressed with your paint job! Very nice, especially the circle around the hole.

I told you I'd be glad to give you any help you need. Let me know.

October 31, 2007 8:59 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

Nice board there Bryan! Looks like something you would buy in the store it looks that good!

Happy Halloween ;o)

jillie "BOOO"

October 31, 2007 11:11 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Jenn. It could be a lot better but you know what, it all plays the same. Thanks again.

Jillie, The only thing that could make it better is if it was made for Green Bay Packers, right? Well I just ... can't ... do ... it. Funny however. With the tape and the prime and the partially painted boards, two of them looked like I was painting something for the Detroit Lions. Thanksgiving is coming soon. We (the Lions) play you (the Packers) on Thanksgiving. We will need some sort of bet I think here... Oh thank you Jillie and eek, I am so scarred. Happy haunting to you too.

October 31, 2007 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic job Brian, they look great!
tc

October 31, 2007 1:09 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Look's like the job is coming right along there barman.

I saw one of those cornholers (for the 1st. time ever) the other day at the store. They were asking $79.00 for one.

I say you find a rythm with the assembly portion and sell them on E Bay.

October 31, 2007 1:54 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

Very cool indeed. thanks for showing us finished boards. Now all I need to do is come there and play a game or two with you.But youwould have to make a few more one Vikings and 1 twins and 1 gophers. lol

October 31, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the explanation, Bryan, although I had a fairly good idea of the game.

May you safely navigate through the ghosties, goblins, sprites, trolls, imps, hobgoblins, ghouls, banshees, poltergeists, specters, spirits, witches, and warlocks wandering the earth this night.

October 31, 2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Bryan I SO would not have wanted to be the one to explain to Queenie what a corn hole was!
The boards look great, you have came a long way, and good to use good wood for them!

October 31, 2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

Its all clear to me now, thank you so much.

November 01, 2007 6:41 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Excellent job for someone that claims to not have skills.

November 01, 2007 7:05 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

You are just too modest Bryan!

November 01, 2007 9:47 PM  
Blogger S said...

Isnt it fun to be a toymaker?
Coming along just swell, Barman!

November 01, 2007 11:49 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

hi!, came to see your 55,I got one out there albeit rusty....

November 02, 2007 4:46 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

What??? No 55???

Hope you have a great wknd Bryan ;o)

November 02, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Happy Weekend!

Are you working in the garage?

November 02, 2007 7:34 PM  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

holy crap, that looks great. you really put a lot of work into it

November 03, 2007 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home